Here we go again: Expansion carousel

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am still of the opinion that Texas and Oklahoma wind up in the PAC 12, it is the only Power conference that has room if 14 teams is the magical number. I also believe both programs would benefit from having west coast exposure from TV and recruiting and current PAC teams would gain exposure to Texas high school recruiting.

The remaining big 12 teams will have to find 4-6 teams and cobble together a new conference, but without Texas and Oklahoma it will be a lower tier conference much like CUSA and the MWC.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
I am still of the opinion that Texas and Oklahoma wind up in the PAC 12, it is the only Power conference that has room if 14 teams is the magical number. I also believe both programs would benefit from having west coast exposure from TV and recruiting and current PAC teams would gain exposure to Texas high school recruiting.

The remaining big 12 teams will have to find 4-6 teams and cobble together a new conference, but without Texas and Oklahoma it will be a lower tier conference much like CUSA and the MWC.
Lord I hope not Graytide. Three time zones, staying up until 11:00 for basketball games. Some great venues for road trips for the fans albeit a far distance, but a killer in travel costs and time out of the classroom for sports. Our volleyball team plays in Seattle (2,006 miles away) on a Wednesday night and gets back to Norman Thursday evening? From just a logistical standpoint, a very poor fit. OU with 21 sports teams would spend a fortune on travel costs.
By the way, Norman to Tuscaloosa....700 miles.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

USC isnt giving up power to Texas. Texas will most likely go independent and leave everyone else in the dust. PAC 12 will most likely consider Oklahoma, but I doubt they have any intrest in a package deal with Okie Lite. I still think BYU and Baylor might be on the PAC 12s list.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As someone said earlier, OU and Okie Lite are more than likely a package deal and that alone is enough to keep them out of the SEC. It's a complicated but important relationship for both schools and I'm not even talking about the bedlam series. I lived in Oklahoma for 10 yrs and speak from a position with some insight.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
With or without Texas in the conference, I think the best the Big 12 could do if they want to stay geographic is to annex BYU and Memphis from CUSA. That would give them access to the Salt Lake and Memphis TV markets and open new recruiting ground for them plus it wouldnt upset the apple cart relative to the competitive balance already established. Bottom line is TTU, Baylor, OSU, and TCU are all better programs now than they were a decade ago to the point they can legitimately compete with UT and OU. Adding a Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, or Central Florida really does nothing for them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With or without Texas in the conference, I think the best the Big 12 could do if they want to stay geographic is to annex BYU and Memphis from CUSA. That would give them access to the Salt Lake and Memphis TV markets and open new recruiting ground for them plus it wouldnt upset the apple cart relative to the competitive balance already established. Bottom line is TTU, Baylor, OSU, and TCU are all better programs now than they were a decade ago to the point they can legitimately compete with UT and OU. Adding a Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, or Central Florida really does nothing for them.
without Texas the Big 12 is equivilant to what the Big East was with Louisville,WV,and Pittsburgh. If Texas bolts the Pac 12 will look at Baylor and OU or BYU to expand if Texas doesnt go PAC 12. OU better think hard about dropping Okie Lite. I think unless all the other conferences want to go 16 then OU better seriously consider going independent because they will be on the outside looking in.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I do agree that ND should join a conference because there will be years when the only conference teams they play will be Stanford, Navy, Wash St, Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State, Syracuse and Pitt. Where is FSU, Clemson, GT and Louisville? Michigan or Michigan St?

I do not agree that ONLY conference champions be allowed in the playoff.

So, how to keep ND out when their SOS doesn't put in? Have only conference champs play. So ..... I am torn.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do agree that ND should join a conference because there will be years when the only conference teams they play will be Stanford, Navy, Wash St, Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State, Syracuse and Pitt. Where is FSU, Clemson, GT and Louisville? Michigan or Michigan St?

I do not agree that ONLY conference champions be allowed in the playoff.

So, how to keep ND out when their SOS doesn't put in? Have only conference champs play. So ..... I am torn.
ND plays Clemson at Clemson this year.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
ND plays Clemson at Clemson this year.
I am sure there will be years where they play FSU, Clemson and GT or VT just like there will be years when they play non of them. Unless they have a sweetheart deal (wouldn't surprise me) with ACC to only play two good teams per season. I am quite sure the ACC agreed to ANYTHING just to get them on board. That is five more $$$ nationally NBC TV for the ACC

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
What is interesting to me is the players obviously do not care about TV sets. They want former members Nebraska and Arkansas (old SWC) who have few viewers. Then former members Missouri and Texas A&M, which only adds a big St Louis market. Houston, Boise and Texas St add nothing. The two Florida schools have lots of viewers and a recruiting base.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Bill Snyder wants to invite Nebraska back.

Folks, that ship sailed away for good. You are not getting back Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, or Colorado. Especially while the Longhorn Network is in existence. The rivalries those schools had with the Big 8/SWC teams left behind were nice, but that doesn't compete with the stability and cash they now enjoy in the SEC and Big Ten (and Pac 12, I guess).

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Bill Snyder wants to invite Nebraska back.

Folks, that ship sailed away for good. You are not getting back Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, or Colorado. Especially while the Longhorn Network is in existence. The rivalries those schools had with the Big 8/SWC teams left behind were nice, but that doesn't compete with the stability and cash they now enjoy in the SEC and Big Ten (and Pac 12, I guess).
That is a good point. Nebraska is not going to give up B1G TV network money nor is A&M, Arkansas and Missouri going to trade in SEC money for LHN money.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'll just put this here, it's kind of sad really:
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/101241/poll-big-12-players-want-to-see-expansion

"Name at least one school you would add to the Big 12.
Texas A&M: 22 percent
BYU: 17 percent
Houston: 11 percent
Nebraska: 11 percent"
When asked which opposing coach you respect the most, eight different coaches received votes. Two coaches received no votes. One is the newly hired head coach at Kansas, so it's understandable he would receive no votes. The other coach with no votes...Mike Gundy.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When asked which opposing coach you respect the most, eight different coaches received votes. Two coaches received no votes. One is the newly hired head coach at Kansas, so it's understandable he would receive no votes. The other coach with no votes...Mike Gundy.
It's O.K. He is a full grown man and he can take it. :biggrin2: :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.