Here we go again: Expansion carousel

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Big 12 not going to expand. Link

Yahoo Article said:
In news that shouldn’t come as a surprise, the Big 12 has reportedly decided not to expand. For now, at least.

After the conference’s board of directors met on Sunday and Monday, the league will apparently stick with its current 10 members, according to multiple reports. A press conference is scheduled for 5:30 CT.

Back in July, the Big 12 gave commissioner Bob Bowlsby permission to pursue expansion candidates, and the process was reportedly whittled down to 11 candidates: Air Force, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Colorado State, UConn, Houston, Rice, SMU, South Florida and Tulane. Bowlsby said the league would consider adding two or even four new members.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Can you imagine the jokes being made when they added Houston and USF and asked them to take less money for five years and all that 'buy in' restrictions (can't play in conference championship game the first year) when Houston is clearly the best team in the Big 12. I don't blame them for saving face. Plus, no Big 12 team is going to make the CFP this year unless a miracle occurs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just don't get the Herman hype. What am I missing?
Beat FSU in the bowl last year and OU this year at a non-power 5 program. I saw him interviewed on ESPN before the season and he does seem to have a swagger / it factor kind of feel too him. He is a tough coach that takes pride in how physical they are in fall camp and on game days. If we were in position to be looking for a new coach right now he would be at the top of my list.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Who is a better coach right now, or has a higher ceiling, that they have a realistic shot at getting? Some may say Fisher, I don't feel that's realistically going to happen, plus he looks a lot more average without a Heisman trophy QB. Given a choice between the two I may take the gamble on Herman. Not a fan of Jimbo and his methods

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ask Texas how hiring a tough talking G5 hot shot worked for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The hype surrounding Herman reminds me of the hype around Kevin Sumlin when his offense was the talk of college football when he coached at Houston..

When the right HC is at Houston that taps into the recruiting hotbed around Houston, Houston puts out some damn good football teams, if I were Herman I'd build the Sleeping Giant that can be Hoston Football & build that proverbial wall around Houston when it comes to recruiting..Cause the success he's having at Houston right now isn't guaranteed to continue at another school if he leaves Houston..

He's got something good at Houston & I would stay there if I were him to build off the momentum he has right now..He can build Houston into a national power if he chooses to stay there..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This probably means the Big 12 breaks apart after the current tv deals expire.
Unless you think Oklahoma will drop both Texas and Ok lite then there is absolutly no way that happens. We've been hearing for years and years that they are going to do it but always seem to get back with Texas when it comes time for a decision. Most of the old Big 8 has made the leap, but the Texas relationship is too valuable to Oklahoma to risk.

As for the others... Who else is left that really matters to anyone? I guess Kansas basketball is probably it.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This probably means the Big 12 breaks apart after the current tv deals expire.
This is the general opinion because we all think the B1G wants Texas. However, it occurred to me the Big 12 could do this expansion bit every year, thereby generating PR for a league that is football PR poor. I look for this to be a hot topic next year too.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Unless you think Oklahoma will drop both Texas and Ok lite then there is absolutly no way that happens. We've been hearing for years and years that they are going to do it but always seem to get back with Texas when it comes time for a decision. Most of the old Big 8 has made the leap, but the Texas relationship is too valuable to Oklahoma to risk.

As for the others... Who else is left that really matters to anyone? I guess Kansas basketball is probably it.
It has nothing to do with the others. Only Texas and Oklahoma.

2 things. ESPN is not going to keep doing the Longhorn Network when that contract expires. They are losing money on that deal every single year. Second, that is the only reason why Texas is in the neighborhood of SEC/Big Ten money right now. As soon as that contract expires, they will take a major step backwards in revenue. Oklahoma does not see that kind of revenue today.

That's why the thing is likely to break apart. Because, while the networks did not want the Big 12 to expand by bringing in programs that would do nothing to add revenue to the thing (thereby forcing them to pay more for an inferior product), they have also likely reached their limit on what they are willing to pay the Big 12 as it is. So, Texas and Oklahoma, two brand names that see themselves in the same league as Alabama and Ohio State, are falling behind and are going to keep falling behind. When they see Purdue and Vanderbilt bringing in more tv revenue than themselves, they are going to seek to rectify that.

As far as the yearly Texas/Oklahoma game, that is never going away. They have a relationship unlike Texas/Texas A&M and OU/OkState. They will continue the game no matter which conference they are in. IMO, the only way the Big 12 stays together long term is if there is some sort of radical landscape change. Something like the Big 12 being able to entice LSU and Arkansas to leave the SEC. Or some other change in the game of football that changes the tv deals. Something unforeseen that drastically reduces its marketability and makes big time college football go the way of the dodo bird.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is the general opinion because we all think the B1G wants Texas. However, it occurred to me the Big 12 could do this expansion bit every year, thereby generating PR for a league that is football PR poor. I look for this to be a hot topic next year too.
The Big Ten does want Texas. Badly. But I don't think Texas really wants the Big Ten. I think what Texas wants is exactly what they have but it cannot continue as it is. The Longhorn Network is a money sieve for ESPN. Unless that can start turning a profit for them, they are not going to keep doing it when the contract expires.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It has nothing to do with the others. Only Texas and Oklahoma.

2 things. ESPN is not going to keep doing the Longhorn Network when that contract expires. They are losing money on that deal every single year. Second, that is the only reason why Texas is in the neighborhood of SEC/Big Ten money right now. As soon as that contract expires, they will take a major step backwards in revenue. Oklahoma does not see that kind of revenue today.

That's why the thing is likely to break apart. Because, while the networks did not want the Big 12 to expand by bringing in programs that would do nothing to add revenue to the thing (thereby forcing them to pay more for an inferior product), they have also likely reached their limit on what they are willing to pay the Big 12 as it is. So, Texas and Oklahoma, two brand names that see themselves in the same league as Alabama and Ohio State, are falling behind and are going to keep falling behind. When they see Purdue and Vanderbilt bringing in more tv revenue than themselves, they are going to seek to rectify that.

As far as the yearly Texas/Oklahoma game, that is never going away. They have a relationship unlike Texas/Texas A&M and OU/OkState. They will continue the game no matter which conference they are in. IMO, the only way the Big 12 stays together long term is if there is some sort of radical landscape change. Something like the Big 12 being able to entice LSU and Arkansas to leave the SEC. Or some other change in the game of football that changes the tv deals. Something unforeseen that drastically reduces its marketability and makes big time college football go the way of the dodo bird.
No conference in their right mind is going to let Texas be the top dog in decision making. And I highly doubt Texas would jump to another conference without that in the cards. So if the Big XII was to dissolve the most likely thing that would happen would be Texas going independent, and Oklahoma weighing their options of whether Okie life is really worth giving the final place in the PAC 12 up to KSU. PAC 12 would undoubtedly take Kansas, and try to make Oklahoma see straight for once. But who knows if they will or not. The SEC will not get involved in the expansion because they are done with the west. Big 10 is an option but it is unlikely if Kansas is off the table.

But the most likely thing moving forward is a restructured tv deal with ESPN, or some deal with FOX. Unless the SEC, Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC are ready for super conferences I don't see Texas and Oklahoma making that decision.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Big Ten does want Texas. Badly. But I don't think Texas really wants the Big Ten. I think what Texas wants is exactly what they have but it cannot continue as it is. The Longhorn Network is a money sieve for ESPN. Unless that can start turning a profit for them, they are not going to keep doing it when the contract expires.
Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska DO NOT want Texas. Heck Nebraska's main reason to move was to get away from Texas. The big 10 only wanted ND to steal the NBC deal and keep the rivalries intact. If the Big XII dissolves then Kansas would become the top team on everyone's list, and Oklahoma would be 2nd if they can kick little brother to the curb.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
He took over a team that had gone 21-17 under the old coach and has gone 19-2 thus far, beating 5 ranked teams (including a top ten ranked FSU team in a major bowl game in year one.) He also won a NC as o-coordinator with tOSU.

Who knows if he'll be able to translate that to success elsewhere but it's easy to see why he's a hot commodity.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No conference in their right mind is going to let Texas be the top dog in decision making. And I highly doubt Texas would jump to another conference without that in the cards. So if the Big XII was to dissolve the most likely thing that would happen would be Texas going independent, and Oklahoma weighing their options of whether Okie life is really worth giving the final place in the PAC 12 up to KSU. PAC 12 would undoubtedly take Kansas, and try to make Oklahoma see straight for once. But who knows if they will or not. The SEC will not get involved in the expansion because they are done with the west. Big 10 is an option but it is unlikely if Kansas is off the table.

But the most likely thing moving forward is a restructured tv deal with ESPN, or some deal with FOX. Unless the SEC, Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC are ready for super conferences I don't see Texas and Oklahoma making that decision.
I don't disagree with you. I understand the options are limited. I'm just saying Texas and more likely Oklahoma isn't going to sit back and watch everyone else leave them in the dust on revenue. When the ACC can get a conference network and you can't, that is a big deal and is what really set off this latest round of expansion talk. I don't think a restructured TV deal is going to bring them anywhere near the SEC/BigTen in revenue.

So Texas does hold the cards here. I do think a portion of their powers that be would love to go Independent in football with a quasi-membership in the ACC like Notre Dame has.

I think you are correct about the SEC's view of future expansion. I agree that OU is in between a rock and a hard place because no one really wants them without Texas.

I'm just saying the money isn't going to be there in the future especially for OU. I would not rule out the possibility that the Big Ten or Pac 12 decides to take Oklahoma/Kansas as a package deal. The Pac 12 might even allow them to bring their little brothers along (K-State, OK-State).

And... I may be all wrong and the Big 12 will limp along in perpetuity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.