decision is in, Gay marriage now legal

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB11486026120286184909004581077903807516280

The reason for all this is that the right for men to marry men or women to marry women is only half of the equation—and not even the most important half at that.The other half involves antidiscrimination statutes and regulations, not to mention the discretion of federal, state and even private bureaucracies regarding everything from funding and accreditation to tax exemption.

In short, there is nothing live-and-let-live about the way this movement has operated the past few years, and to pretend otherwise requires a willful blindness. Now, with Obergefell, the full furies have been released.

As Justice Samuel Alito suggested in his dissent, thousands of Americans who never dreamed that the issue would affect them will soon get highly personal lessons in how the legalization of same-sex marriage by judicial fiat threatens their schools, their institutions and even their livelihoods. This is not your father’s culture war.

A century ago, another Supreme Court justice famously wrote that the Constitution “is made for people of fundamentally differing views.” How far we have traveled since.

Those seeking to crush all dissent from the new judicial orthodoxy on marriage will not always win, not least because the right to the free exercise of religion—in bald contrast to Mr. Kennedy’s right to dignity—is in fact in the Constitution. Still, however individual cases may turn out, by foreclosing the option for democratic debate and compromise the Supreme Court has ensured a bitter national harvest.

Welcome to Justice Kennedy’s world. Where upholding the Kennedy definition of liberty—the right to define your own truth—turns out to mean denying that same right to millions of Americans who define marriage and truth in a way different from his.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Practically every gun rights site has some reference to the decision and an attempt to apply the decision criteria to open carry laws. Good luck with that on this court, but from how many are talking about it, there will probably be a case.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Practically every gun rights site has some reference to the decision and an attempt to apply the decision criteria to open carry laws. Good luck with that on this court, but from how many are talking about it, there will probably be a case.
Good luck trying to take some good ole boy's gun away.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Being a gun aficionado, (bought a new AR-15 yesterday), I've noticed them also. All I can do is call the legal reasoning "tortured." Public safety has always been carved out and allocated to states' control more so than any other area, 2nd A notwithstanding. It doesn't port over...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Yes if the license for one "right" must be recognized across State lines, then they all should be. Of course SCOTUS failed to show consistency when they ruled on the ACA and homo marriage, so who knows.
Here' a good piece on that:
http://allenbwest.com/2015/06/yeeha...y-marriage-ruling-will-make-liberals-explode/

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
States already recognize drivers' licenses from other states. I assume such licenses are issued primarily for safety purposes, and I believe more people are killed and injured by cars than they are guns.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Roy Moore's lawyer to Gov. Bentley: 'Public officials are ministers of God"

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...gov_bentl.html#incart_most-commented_politics

Will you become complicit in the takeover by the wicked?" writes Johnson, director of the legal staff of the Administrative Office of Courts. The AOC operationally runs Alabama's court system which is headed by Moore.

Johnson begins the letter: "Jesus Christ is Lord of all."
That is followed soon thereafter with: "Public officials are ministers of God assigned the duty of punishing the wicked and protecting the righteous. You cannot serve two masters: you must pick -- God or Satan."
Johnson ends the letter urging disobedience of the court ruling.

I think he should find a new job.!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...gov_bentl.html#incart_most-commented_politics

Will you become complicit in the takeover by the wicked?" writes Johnson, director of the legal staff of the Administrative Office of Courts. The AOC operationally runs Alabama's court system which is headed by Moore.

That is followed soon thereafter with: "Public officials are ministers of God assigned the duty of punishing the wicked and protecting the righteous. You cannot serve two masters: you must pick -- God or Satan."

its a good thing these folks are standing between us and sharia law

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I concur.

its a good thing these folks are standing between us and sharia law
We wouldn't want the crazies ruling us.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I think he should be fired, but of course that is exactly what he wants so he can scream "see we're being persecuted for our beliefs"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Oh. I thought the "I think he should be fired" comment was directed at Judge Roy Moore. I misread the original post. My mistake.
understood. my guess is that moore would have to be the one firing this guy and i don't see that occurring as i think this guy is communicating moore's position

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.