decision is in, Gay marriage now legal

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't care what you call it. It's not marriage and it never will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
why do you get to control the definition?
To use the LGBT argument, what qualifies anyone to? IMO thee is only one being who can and already has. Those of us that accept that definition are not trying to define it. To quote a popular recent movie "We are just not arguing with the God who did."

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
As I've posted before, I have a different slant, in that I have a daughter married to a woman. I have to be happy for the security of their marriage, although I can certainly see both sides of the issue. It took me a long time for a change of opinion, and one major influence is my libertarian streak, which seems to keep growing. More and more, I find myself asking "so what?"
**Like**

I don't know why people get so upset over something that doesn't remotely affect them.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
**Like**

I don't know why people get so upset over something that doesn't remotely affect them.
If it didn't affect me I wouldn't be upset. In fact I wouldn't consider myself upset, more accurately disappointed. I am not going to change my views because it is politically expedient, or more comfortable to do so. Whether or not I accept that anyone can and will do what they want (in fact I do, and believe the same God that defined marriage has given us the ability to), it doesn't stop there. I have NO problem with people having the freedom to do what they want.

What I have a problem with is that if I don't agree with their lifestyle, I am labeled a bigot. I am called a homophobe (as if I am afraid, if there is anything in this whole debate to be scoffed at it is that term). I told that I am intolerant and ignorant because I believe in a definition of marriage that is based on a God I follow and put my trust in. Again, it does affect me because I am not given the same level of tolerance that those who do not believe the same thing I do are asking for. The fact that they want the word marriage defined differently is proof positive to me this is the case. It is about forced acceptance, not about equal treatment under the law.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Explain this to your grand kids when they see two guys swapping spit in an airport or restaurant.
I take my kids to Midtown Atlanta all the time. We have gay family members (as do you, whether you know it or not) and have been around gay couples their entire lives. I'm many years off of having grand kids (I hope) but I'd be shocked if my kids who've been to the Atlanta gay pride events for the last 6-7 years and stayed with their lesbian aunt's for a week multiple times would raise kids that would be shocked by anything as normal, in our world, as two men kissing

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If it didn't affect me I wouldn't be upset. In fact I wouldn't consider myself upset, more accurately disappointed. I am not going to change my views because it is politically expedient, or more comfortable to do so. Whether or not I accept that anyone can and will do what they want (in fact I do, and believe the same God that defined marriage has given us the ability to), it doesn't stop there. I have NO problem with people having the freedom to do what they want.

What I have a problem with is that if I don't agree with their lifestyle, I am labeled a bigot. I am called a homophobe (as if I am afraid, if there is anything in this whole debate to be scoffed at it is that term). I told that I am intolerant and ignorant because I believe in a definition of marriage that is based on a God I follow and put my trust in. Again, it does affect me because I am not given the same level of tolerance that those who do not believe the same thing I do are asking for. The fact that they want the word marriage defined differently is proof positive to me this is the case. It is about forced acceptance, not about equal treatment under the law.
please, this is about equal rights, pure and simple. You want to act the victim knock yourself out. I know that shortly my little sister can finally marry her partner legally in Alabama and if something awful were to happen to her her children and the assetts that they've attained together can now to her wife rather than elsewhere.

and on the whole God defined issue, I hope all of you realize that marriage existed before Moses (supposedly) came down from the mountaintop so if you want to credit a God for defining marriage it wouldn't be your god anyway. Give that credit to Zues, or Baal, or some forgotten deity from pre-history. Marriage existed before Christianity, hell I can prove that using your bible

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I take my kids to Midtown Atlanta all the time. We have gay family members (as do you, whether you know it or not) and have been around gay couples their entire lives. I'm many years off of having grand kids (I hope) but I'd be shocked if my kids who've been to the Atlanta gay pride events for the last 6-7 years and stayed with their lesbian aunt's for a week multiple times would raise kids that would be shocked by anything as normal, in our world, as two men kissing
but the gays are icky

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
Bingo!

There is no such thing as "homophobia", any more than there is such a thing as "islamophobia". These are nothing more than cheap propaganda devices. Both terms were coined in an effort to silence opponents by applying a special pejorative label to them. Those who coined these terms sought a socially acceptable form of ad hominem attack in order to appeal to emotion. Using special linguistic devices, such as specially coined terms of derision, to avoid legitimate debate, is a cowardly act.

The abuse of language to denigrate opponents through hyperboles is another act of disingenuous debate cowardice. The popular misuse of the word "hate" to equate it with simple opposition is one example of such an hyperbole. The term "hate" carries with it malevolent meanings that cannot, and do not, apply to people who simply oppose an idea or a practice. Its misuse is another device for stifling opponents and silencing debate.

Cowardly propagandists want to silence debate so that their own views will dominate the marketplace through the silence of opposition. By dominating the public forum, they hope, like Joseph Goebbels before them, that by providing the public with a limited perspective, their propaganda will come to be seen the indisputable truth. Such cowardly acts have no place in legitimate intellectual inquiry or debate, and certainly have no place in a free society; they belong to the the propaganda ministries of dictatorships such as Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.... and now amerika.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Bingo!

There is no such thing as "homophobia", any more than there is such a thing as "islamophobia". These are nothing more than cheap propaganda devices. Both terms were coined in an effort to silence opponents by applying a special pejorative label to them. Those who coined these terms sought a socially acceptable form of ad hominem attack in order to appeal to emotion. Using special linguistic devices, such as specially coined terms of derision, to avoid legitimate debate, is a cowardly act.

The abuse of language to denigrate opponents through hyperboles is another act of disingenuous debate cowardice. The popular misuse of the word "hate" to equate it with simple opposition is one example of such an hyperbole. The term "hate" carries with it malevolent meanings that cannot, and do not, apply to people who simply oppose an idea or a practice. Its misuse is another device for stifling opponents and silencing debate.

Cowardly propagandists want to silence debate so that their own views will dominate the marketplace through the silence of opposition. By dominating the public forum, they hope, like Joseph Goebbels before them, that by providing the public with a limited perspective, their propaganda will come to be seen the indisputable truth. Such cowardly acts have no place in legitimate intellectual inquiry or debate, and certainly have no place in a free society; they belong to the the propaganda ministries of dictatorships such as Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.... and now amerika.
Both of you guys are dead on.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Bingo!

I actually agree on the homophobe label. Don't like it either as I don't think it properly describes those who are against gay equality.

outside of that I can't believe this thread went full Godwin this quick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.