Memphis Mayor Wants to Dig Up Dead Confederate War General

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton wants to dig up the bodies of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife and remove them from a city park in the latest and perhaps most despicable example of the anti-Southern cleansing spreading across the nation.
“Which African-American wants to have a picnic in the shadow of Nathan Bedford Forrest?” Wharton said in a Thursday press briefing.

In addition to desecrating the graves, Wharton wants to tear down a massive statue honoring the Confederate general who was involved in organizing the Ku Klux Klan. The bodies of Forrest and his wife would be relocated to a cemetery.

“These relics, these messages of this despicable period of this great nation, it’s time for those to be moved,” the mayor said.

Memphis city officials have been waging a fierce and unrelenting war on southern heritage. In 2013, the city council changed the name of Forrest Park to Health Sciences Park. They also changed the names of Jefferson Davis Park and Confederate Park.
CLICKY

Seems to me we are becoming a more divided country every day - not the other way around. But that's what is good for politics and the media....and therefore.....the country continues to buy in.

I don't think our country will ever be as great as it once was. I'm just so happy I was around to live during some of those years.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Where does it stop? George Washington owned slaves. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. They going to take down those statues too?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm beginning to really thing there is a very large part of the country, that would like nothing more than to have the Southern part of the country, no longer a part of the country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is ironic that the Memphis Mayor should say this.
Forrest visited Memphis in July 1875. An African-American fraternal organization called on him to speak. A young African-American lady presented him with flowers and Forrest said the following:
N. B. Forrest said:
Ladies and Gentlemen—I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation. I will say to you and to the colored race that the men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt—that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man—to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics to-day. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your beat judgment in selecting men for office and vote as you think right. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand. [Prolonged applause.]
Mayor Wharton is probably related (lineally or collaterally) to General John A. Wharton

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
But, but...he's the father of the KKK. Wonder what people might learn if they actually STUDIED HISTORY.

Forrest visited Memphis in July 1875. An African-American fraternal organization called on him to speak. A young African-American lady presented him with flowers and Forrest said the following:

Mayor Wharton is probably related (lineally or collaterally) to General John A. Wharton

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's a shame so many people are completely ignorant of who the man became.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I read where CW statues are already being defaced. Jus a matter of time before there is payback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
By God, I'll bet he uses $1 bills and nickels and quarters bearing pictures of slave owners, though.

I vote Boston U needs to strip MLK of the PhD they've known since 1989 he cheated to get. They would for pretty much anyone else and if we're going to be imposing character tests lets begin in the 20th century and go back.

IJS

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
CLICKY

Seems to me we are becoming a more divided country every day - not the other way around. But that's what is good for politics and the media....and therefore.....the country continues to buy in.

I don't think our country will ever be as great as it once was. I'm just so happy I was around to live during some of those years.

Will someone please put their foot down already? ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Politics sure can make for some weird positions. I think it's called "Oneupsmanship."
Forrest was full of surprises.
N. B. Forrest said:
I said to forty-five colored fellows on my plantation, that I was going into the army; and that if they would go with me, if we got whipped they would be free anyhow, and that if we succeeded and slavery was perpetuated, if they would act faithfully with me to the end of the war, I would set them free. Eighteen months before the war closed I was satisfied that we were going to be defeated, and I gave those forty-five men, or forty-four of them, their free papers, for fear I might get killed.
Forrest testimony before a Congressional committee 1871

"
Lt Col John G. Parkhurst said:
The forces attacking my camp were the First Regiment Texas Rangers, Colonel Wharton, and a battalion of the First Georgia Rangers, Colonel Morrison, and a large number of citizens of Rutherford County, many of whom had recently taken the oath of allegiance to the United States Government. There were also quite a number of negroes attached to the Texas and Georgia troops, who were armed and equipped, and took part in the several engagements with my forces during the day."
Official Records, Series I, Vol XVI Part I, pg. 805.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Do most African Americans even know that blacks owned slaves as well? Are we going to dig up their bodies as well or are we just suppose to ignore these facts? These days, most people (no matter their race) don't even understand the history they are talking about. It was not as black and white as many make it out to be.

http://dailykenn.blogspot.com/2012/05/2-how-many-americans-know-that-first.html
http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm
http://slaverebellion.org/index.php?page=the-black-slave-owners
http://www.kon.org/urc/v4/tikhomirova.html

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Do most African Americans even know that blacks owned slaves as well? Are we going to dig up their bodies as well or are we just suppose to ignore these facts? These days, most people (no matter their race) don't even understand the history they are talking about. It was not as black and white as many make it out to be.

http://dailykenn.blogspot.com/2012/05/2-how-many-americans-know-that-first.html
http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm
http://slaverebellion.org/index.php?page=the-black-slave-owners
http://www.kon.org/urc/v4/tikhomirova.html

Do most know that slavery of AA's only began because other tribes of AA's were willing to sell their long ago ancestors to the slavers of that time?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.