US troops are expected to obey local laws in Muslim countries in regard to Ramadan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
prohibited consumption all together? or prohibited in public.

i was in the uae for ramadan last week. i was able to eat and drink as much as i wanted, just not in public.
I've been to bagram and Kandahar during Ramadan and had two vastly different experiences. At Kandahar the Aussies and the us army ran the base when I was there and they didn't care about the feelings of the locals while they were mortaring the base daily. So it was business as usual. Bagram is an extremely liberal base where dress and appearance and politics are everything. The base is all about the " win the hearts and minds" mission. They prohibited us from eating or drinking in front of the locals. We only could do so in buildings, towers, or barracks. Idk if bagram has been always that way, or just under the current administration.

Also UAE is way more westernized than Iraq and Afghanistan. So they aren't as sensitive as the afghanis or Iraqis about foreigners not following their religious customs

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I look at the whole issue as being one of politeness. When I am a guest in a muslim country I set aside my love of pork barbecue. When it is ramadan, I try to be polite to observant muslims who are fasting during the day. That is just being polite.
I expect people who come to the US to not go out of their way to be offensive to American customs, so I try to give my hosts the same respect.
exactly

and iftars are some damn fine eating

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've been to bagram and Kandahar during Ramadan and had two vastly different experiences. At Kandahar the Aussies and the us army ran the base when I was there and they didn't care about the feelings of the locals while they were mortaring the base daily. So it was business as usual. Bagram is an extremely liberal base where dress and appearance and politics are everything. The base is all about the " win the hearts and minds" mission. They prohibited us from eating or drinking in front of the locals. We only could do so in buildings, towers, or barracks. Idk if bagram has been always that way, or just under the current administration.

Also UAE is way more westernized than Iraq and Afghanistan. So they aren't as sensitive as the afghanis or Iraqis about foreigners not following their religious customs
i was asking one of our partners about the rules/customs during active military engagement as there is so much of that going on throughout the middle east. he said he thought that it is probably seen a bit differently in those situations, but he wasn't sure.

there is also the issue of observant muslims that live in the far north reaches where the sun hardly sets during the summer months.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was asking one of our partners about the rules/customs during active military engagement as there is so much of that going on throughout the middle east. he said he thought that it is probably seen a bit differently in those situations, but he wasn't sure.

there is also the issue of observant muslims that live in the far north reaches where the sun hardly sets during the summer months.
a few years back, i was in morocco for ramadan and it was much different from Dubai. we basically only had access to the restaurant and pool bar at the hotel for the entire week

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If you go to Afghanistan and look over the wire it is like you are watching a history channel special on the crusades. So they are very traditional in beliefs. The problem is we are forcing their religion on our troops, and it has atleast been going on since 13 and maybe longer than that

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I look at the whole issue as being one of politeness. When I am a guest in a muslim country I set aside my love of pork barbecue. When it is ramadan, I try to be polite to observant muslims who are fasting during the day. That is just being polite.
I expect people who come to the US to not go out of their way to be offensive to American customs, so I try to give my hosts the same respect.
*like*

There are applications to this view within our country and without. IMO One should never go out of their way to be offensive (much less do something with the expressed intent of being offensive), and do what they can to be at the very least polite. What one can do (legally or morally) is very often different from what one should do.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As several posted above, it's just common courtesy.
In usual circumstances I would tend to agree with you, but not when it pertains to this. War isn't kind or fair and it's about time that the government stopped pretending it was either. Also take into account that the american gis are wearing a lot of weight with their flak vest, weapons, gear, and ruck in about 100 degree heat. I'm not saying that it is ok if private snuffy gets a water bottle and goes out of his way to taunt the locals with it. I'm saying go about your business as usual without trying to directly instigate a fight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.