CFN's preview of the barn...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Is Johnson that good of a QB? If so why couldn't he beat out the other guy?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
That is a good question for the CFN staff. If the coaching is peerless, how come they had the best QB on the bench?

For some reason people are scared (or infatuated with) Auburn and afraid (or gaga eyed predicting) they are going to win another NC. For the life of me I can't understand why.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For some reason people are scared (or infatuated with) Auburn and afraid (or gaga eyed predicting) they are going to win another NC. For the life of me I can't understand why.
Simple answer - they already have a brilliant offensive mind at head coach/offensive coordinator. Their weakness has been on defense, and they hired one of the best defensive minds in the game in Muschamp. A lot of people (Alabama fans the exception) are excited to see what that produces.

Many believe that you simply cannot have a great defense when the offense runs a HUNH, but they fail to recognize that Auburn does not really "hurry up" the same way that Oregon or Arizona does. They are fast to return to the LOS, but they then go all "meercat" and slow things down if the defense is lined up and ready. This gives the defense a chance to rest between possessions.

I won't predict success until I see it on the field, but they certainly didn't get any weaker by hiring Muschamp.

As for being "peerless", both Alabama and Ohio State have better coaching staffs, IMO.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Simple answer - they already have a brilliant offensive mind at head coach/offensive coordinator. Their weakness has been on defense, and they hired one of the best defensive minds in the game in Muschamp. A lot of people (Alabama fans the exception) are excited to see what that produces.

Many believe that you simply cannot have a great defense when the offense runs a HUNH, but they fail to recognize that Auburn does not really "hurry up" the same way that Oregon or Arizona does. They are fast to return to the LOS, but they then go all "meercat" and slow things down if the defense is lined up and ready. This gives the defense a chance to rest between possessions.

I won't predict success until I see it on the field, but they certainly didn't get any weaker by hiring Muschamp.

As for being "peerless", both Alabama and Ohio State have better coaching staffs, IMO
I`d share that opinion, B1G. I was going to say that it`s debatable to say that the coaching staffs at either Alabama or tOSU are truly "peerless". If I can`t say either of them are, I certainly couldn`t say it about the barn.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Auburn lost 5 games last year (could have easily been 7) and lost their starting QB, top RB, most dangerous WR etc. I don't see it.

I'm obviously in the minority, but I don't see Muschamp as Ken Donahue, Bill Oliver, Chuck Noll and Dick LeBeau rolled into one.

Auburn went 8-5 last year, looked bad doing it, and everyone is praising them as though they are on the verge of winning a national championship. If UA went 8-5 the whole sports world would be piling on and throwing gas on the fire.

Chizik won a nat'l title in his second year (their first since a disputed title from the 50's) then went 8-5 in his third and the natives had their torches burning. The next year he goes 3-9 and is out on his rear end. Malzahn goes to the nat'l title game in his first year and loses, goes 8-5 the next year and now…we'll see.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Funniest line "greater Auburn metropolitan area"!!! What does that encompass? Auburn plus a hundred mile radius around it - to even begin to approach 100,000 people.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1558555.html

Overall, I agree, though this line made me shake my head: "The coaching staff is peerless,"

I understand journalists are trying to write things that sound great but peerless? They are without peer? Unequaled?

Come on...
OK. Here's the deal. These guys know that a few Alabama fans and a bunch of Auburn fans are likely to read the article at some point. So they throw in some ridiculous comment like "The coaching staff is peerless" for two reasons:

1) To get a "what the heck are they thinking" reaction from the Alabama fans, so they'll link the article to others saying "oh my God you've got to see what this idiot writer said about......."

2) To get a "I knew it, I knew it, our coaches are better than Alabamas coaches - see - it says it right here" reaction from the barner idiots who will send all their friends (who can read) to the link.

It's all about the writer being able to go to his boss and say "looky here looky here - see how many people are reading my articles". Same thing that got Finebaum to where he is today - say controversial things that get a spark out of the listeners so they'll call in and help him show how many are listening. Ages old trick to get a rise out of you.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It's hard to imagine AU being much worse on defense or having more penalties than they did last year.
If the refs call holding on their left tackle when they play A&M they'll pile up penalties. Every team holds to some extent. The trick is moving your feet to stay between your man and the QB, but my gosh did you see how that DE at A&M was tackled last year?

LSU had their hands full with him and they had one of the better left tackles in college last year. Auburn just tackled him every time.

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I think people forget that with the emergence of sites like CFN, SDS, etc, there a lot of writing slots to fill and not a lot of knowledgeable, talented writers. I have even noticed lately on Fox News web site, among many others, a lot of typos. The referenced article has typos and grammatical errors. There are many on this site that could do an equal or better job writing articles for the sites. Essentially, they are just blogger networks with a better look.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Fiutak, Zemek and Sallee were/have always been biased in favor of AU and against Bama. Zemek has been much more brazen about it. Sallee is far more subtle. I think it is as simple as that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The media has always been infatuated with Gus. They love the high scoring offense, the HUNH (although B1G is right that Auburn has slowed it down the last year or two), and really don't regard stellar defensive play with any sort of appreciation.

Auburn is also the perennial underdog, the little engine that could, attempting to take down the mighty evil Crimson Tide. That's a lot of hyperbole, but I think the media generally feels that way.

Having said all that, I do think Auburn has a lot going for it this year. Those pointing out the 8-5 finish last year are disregarding the fact that Auburn is one of the most up and down programs over the last 15 years.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Auburn lost 5 games last year (could have easily been 7) and lost their starting QB, top RB, most dangerous WR etc. I don't see it.

I'm obviously in the minority, but I don't see Muschamp as Ken Donahue, Bill Oliver, Chuck Noll and Dick LeBeau rolled into one.

Auburn went 8-5 last year, looked bad doing it, and everyone is praising them as though they are on the verge of winning a national championship. If UA went 8-5 the whole sports world would be piling on and throwing gas on the fire.

Chizik won a nat'l title in his second year (their first since a disputed title from the 50's) then went 8-5 in his third and the natives had their torches burning. The next year he goes 3-9 and is out on his rear end. Malzahn goes to the nat'l title game in his first year and loses, goes 8-5 the next year and now…we'll see.
This is right on. Several team have a better record last year and are returning more starters than Aubie ..... but they don't get the love.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
This time of year selling mags or getting website hits is the name of the game and most of tHose picking the barn to win big are either hoping or I'll informed.

every team has questions, but picking a team that withered down the stretch like they did is not based in reason. The fact is that while Muschamp is an upgrade, Johnson wasn't the only issue with their D. Depth at the skill position is an issue going into the season as in the secondary.

while they may win big at this point it is way more speculation than informed prognostication.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One thing to keep in mind: Malzahn, unlike Chizik, is not a moron.

That might be a debatable proposition in light of his returning to uh Auburn. Actually, I agree, as I think he's a good coach but that high school backyard garbage has never won and never will.

B

BroadwayJoe777

"peerless"

Good article, but that phrase about the coaching staff was a bit comical.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.