CFN's preview of the barn...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That might be a debatable proposition in light of his returning to uh Auburn. Actually, I agree, as I think he's a good coach but that high school backyard garbage has never won and never will.
I'm of the minority opinion: all the razzmatazz masks one of the best inside running attacks in the country. If the new defensive coordinator earns his paycheck this fall, they will be a handful.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm of the minority opinion: all the razzmatazz masks one of the best inside running attacks in the country. If the new defensive coordinator earns his paycheck this fall, they will be a handful.
They do have a great running game, I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, due to their offensive style, they will never have anything better than an average defense. There just isn't enough spots to go around and Gus doesn't want to share the wealth.

They will always have a good DL, especially at DE, but their LBs and secondary will always be bad. Muschamp isn't the defensive wizard some think he is. We have never had problems putting up big numbers against him.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
They do have a great running game, I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, due to their offensive style, they will never have anything better than an average defense. There just isn't enough spots to go around and Gus doesn't want to share the wealth.

They will always have a good DL, especially at DE, but their LBs and secondary will always be bad. Muschamp isn't the defensive wizard some think he is. We have never had problems putting up big numbers against him.
Muschamp did OK during his first trip through The Plains. Can't disagree with a thing you say -- except as of late, Auburn has recruited some very good defensive talent, and they've already proven they don't need a world-class defense to play for the trophy. In both their championship game years, they gave up a lot of yards but won more than their share of the key plays in big games.

That's all they need.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Muschamp did OK during his first trip through The Plains. Can't disagree with a thing you say otherwise except as of late, Auburn has recruited some very good defensive talent, and they've already proven they don't need a world-class defense to play for the trophy. In both their championship game years, they gave up a lot of yards but won more than their share of the key plays in big games.

That's all they need.
I agree with that. I'm not saying they necessarily need an elite defense to compete. However, there are some (mostly Barn fans) that think Muschamp immediately gives them an elite defense. I don't think that will be the case, but they will still be tough to beat. Until we trounce them 5-6 times in a row, they won't be intimidated by us.

I will say I think it's funny that whenever we win, it's usually a comfortable win/blowout. Whenever they win, it's always a close game. We are 5-2 in the last 7 games and it really should be 7-0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tmv85

All-SEC
I will say I think it's funny that whenever we win, it's usually a comfortable win/blowout. Whenever they win, it's always a close game. We are 5-2 in the last 7 games and it really should be 7-0.

Whenever I've pointed this out to barn fans, they tell me I can spin the stats however I want to, but they were still the better team. How can anyone be so delusional?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree with that. I'm not saying they necessarily need an elite defense to compete. However, there are some (mostly Barn fans) that think Muschamp immediately gives them an elite defense. I don't think that will be the case, but they will still be tough to beat. Until we trounce them 5-6 times in a row, they won't be intimidated by us.

I'm ashamed to admit that I watch the "kick-6" game on the day of the Auburn "takeover." I was bored and watched, but I was reminded how many times we litterally shot ourselves in the foot to put that game away. There were so many opportunities in just the 4th quarter to go up by 10-14 points and we played absolutely too conservatively. Sickens me that they won the game, not because of the last play but because we didn't "finish" way before the clock got to 1 second.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm ashamed to admit that I watch the "kick-6" game on the day of the Auburn "takeover." I was bored and watched, but I was reminded how many times we litterally shot ourselves in the foot to put that game away. There were so many opportunities in just the 4th quarter to go up by 10-14 points and we played absolutely too conservatively. Sickens me that they won the game, not because of the last play but because we didn't "finish" way before the clock got to 1 second.
I still haven't watched that play. I turned off the TV when he passed the 50 because i saw it coming. ever since i have changed the channel or muted and looked away. I refuse to watch it.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
So I clicked on the 2008 preview tab for a good laugh, and interestingly enough, it stated that 08 was the year Auburn needed to beat Alabama because we were "one year away from being something special." Pretty cool how they predicted our NC for us.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If the barn is a stock, I'm loading up the truck with it. All they lacked
last yr was a good D. They had all of the other pieces, including elite talent. While I agree that Muschamp is no bill Oliver, the guy can coach D and there's absolutely no disputing that he's a giant upgrade over A washed up Ellis Johnson. Combine that with the schedule flip, and I see the barn making a lot of noise this yr.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
On a graph line or past W/L records Auburn is a jagged mountain range with valleys between. Predicting this season is one for a palm reader. Since going spread it depends on the QB. If he is another CAM they will have a great season. If not, then they are mediocre.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Honestly, any of us could write a preview as good/better than that one.

There’s a ton of talent now in the Tiger backfield in new starting quarterback Jeremy Johnson along with JUCO superstar running back Jovon Robinson and little-used veteran Roc Thomas, but the pressure is on to keep the production going. They will. The system is that good, and so are they.
"little-used veteran Roc Thomas" ???

He was a true freshman last year who got a couple of TD's and carries in garbage time. That's now the definition of a "little-used veteran"?

They also list Jeremy Johnson as the best offensive player. Jeremy Johnson? With a Terrell Owens clone in Shaq Williams sitting right there? Come on. Do your homework CFN.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Auburn 's schedule: First five game: I can see this played out three different ways:
1. 3-2 ( Loss to Miss State and LSU)
2. 2-3 ( Loss to Miss state, Louisville and LSU)
3. 5-0 (Unlikely because Miss St and LSU will play them tough)
Then They have a open date before they play Kentucky, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A and M, and Georgia.

Auburn will be beat up physically I don’t see them winning the west....

Muschamp is good, but I just don't know. He will be gone next year.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
That might be a debatable proposition in light of his returning to uh Auburn. Actually, I agree, as I think he's a good coach but that high school backyard garbage has never won and never will.
Haha, I hate the high school offense as much as the next guy, but to say Malzahn has not won with it is just being silly. Won a NC as an OC, and seconds away from another 2 years ago. Now, win consistently? Nope...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Haha, I hate the high school offense as much as the next guy, but to say Malzahn has not won with it is just being silly. Won a NC as an OC, and seconds away from another 2 years ago. Now, win consistently? Nope...
Cam Newton won that national championship not Gene Chizik or Gus Malzahn..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Cam Newton won that national championship not Gene Chizik or Gus Malzahn..
Cam Newton running Malzahn's offense. It was the perfect time, situation and fit for both. Cam was not going to trot out there and call his own made-up plays, and win it all, was he? He was/is a heckuva athlete, but you can't hand all of the credit to Cam. They barely won half of their games with Cam and Gus that year. So without Gus calling the plays, they have at least 3 losses that season. No credit goes to Chizik, regardless. Most AU fans concede that much.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Cam Newton running Malzahn's offense. It was the perfect time, situation and fit for both. Cam was not going to trot out there and call his own made-up plays, and win it all, was he? He was/is a heckuva athlete, but you can't hand all of the credit to Cam. They barely won half of their games with Cam and Gus that year. So without Gus calling the plays, they have at least 3 losses that season. No credit goes to Chizik, regardless. Most AU fans concede that much.
I just wouldn't base Malzahn's coaching ability off the season he won a championship with Cam. It's like Mack Brown coached 30 years and only one 1 NC when he had Vince Young. Malzahn is a better coach than Mack Brown but it's a similar situation. Neither won a championship as a head coach without a transcendent talent at the QB position. Malzahn got damn close in 2014 and I give him major kudos for that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.