News Article: Michigan DL Says Harbaugh Pressured Him to Quit

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's the simple fact of the matter that has become skewed. Mind you, I'm for stipends, I'm for taking care of the players, and I'm for doing all we can to insure they get an education. However, they are there, on scholarship to perform as football players.

I don't care what the reason, if they aren't performing at the level the coaches want, they shouldn't have a football scholarship. That's all there is to it. The idea that just getting offered, that's it, nothing else should give you four years of a football scholarship, for a football team, that plays football games is a joke. I mean, if you get an academic scholarship, there are standards you have to meet in the classroom right? Why one earth should there be no standards on the football field? Remember, a coach is only allowed 85 scholarships a year. If people really cared so much about this, they'd remove the limits.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Harbaugh should drop the medical scholarship offer and tell the kid to look for a transfer because his football scholarship will not be renewed. Statements like this hurt the team, and you don't want kids like this poisoning the locker room or staying around the program.

Make the kid play somewhere else or pay for his education if he wants to stay at UM.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Can he do this in the B1G though? I thought their scholarships were guaranteed for four years and not renewed annually. I am not very familiar with the B1G rules on this so I could very well be wrong.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can he do this in the B1G though? I thought their scholarships were guaranteed for four years and not renewed annually. I am not very familiar with the B1G rules on this so I could very well be wrong.
Not 100% sure. First, the scholarship guarantees didn't go into effect until 2014 and this kid is a senior. Not sure if they were retroactive or not. But even if they were, there is still an out for behavioral problems, and creating this type of public dissension would certainly qualify if Michigan decided to push it. He has put forward his interpretation of feedback from the UM medical staff as them putting pressure on him to drop football when the reality might be that they are worried about his health, not the scholarship.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not 100% sure. First, the scholarship guarantees didn't go into effect until 2014 and this kid is a senior. Not sure if they were retroactive or not. But even if they were, there is still an out for behavioral problems, and creating this type of public dissension would certainly qualify if Michigan decided to push it. He has put forward his interpretation of feedback from the UM medical staff as them putting pressure on him to drop football when the reality might be that they are worried about his health, not the scholarship.
Over the years, Alabama's had a number of players who had to give up football for medical reasons. But if memory serves (an increasingly dubious assumption lately), there's some sort of NCAA provision whereby the player can remain on scholarship, but not count against the 85 limit.

If that's the case, and it's really a medical issue, I don't see a reason to complain. Of course, Harbaugh isn't exactly known for his warm fuzzy forgiving group hugs. So with the player going public like this, I'd have to think his relationship with Harbaugh is permanently trashed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's a pity that oversigning.com has gone away. It would have been fun seeing how he justified this.
Not sure what this has to do with anything. The B1G has had recruiting limits in place for a long time. Unless I see evidence showing me otherwise, I tend to trust the coaches in these situations (yes, even Michigan's coach). Most players just aren't willing to set the cleats aside when their bodies let them down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure what this has to do with anything. The B1G has had recruiting limits in place for a long time. Unless I see evidence showing me otherwise, I tend to trust the coaches in these situations (yes, even Michigan's coach). Most players just aren't willing to set the cleats aside when their bodies let them down.
That website accused of Saban putting players on a medical hardship in order to make room for the players in the most recent signing class.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That website accused of Saban putting players on a medical hardship in order to make room for the players in the most recent signing class.
Thanks, but unless the site was run by a Michigan man, I suspect that he would be throwing the same stones. There is no love lost between B1G schools, or their fan bases.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Thanks, but unless the site was run by a Michigan man, I suspect that he would be throwing the same stones. There is no love lost between B1G schools, or their fan bases.
I don't think he would have thrown stones at B1G. If I remember right this sight was just another "throw stones at SEC because of the ESPN/BCS conspiracy." And over signing was just another cheating "reason" SEC was winning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think he would have thrown stones at B1G. If I remember right this sight was just another "throw stones at SEC because of the ESPN/BCS conspiracy." And over signing was just another cheating "reason" SEC was winning.
I have to trust your judgment because I didn't read the stuff on the site (though I seem to remember reading about it somewhere - maybe here). There are plenty of fans in the B1G who have been looking for reasons for our failures on the field, many of whom are not above wild conspiracy theories.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Here's the simple fact of the matter that has become skewed. Mind you, I'm for stipends, I'm for taking care of the players, and I'm for doing all we can to insure they get an education. However, they are there, on scholarship to perform as football players.

I don't care what the reason, if they aren't performing at the level the coaches want, they shouldn't have a football scholarship. That's all there is to it. The idea that just getting offered, that's it, nothing else should give you four years of a football scholarship, for a football team, that plays football games is a joke. I mean, if you get an academic scholarship, there are standards you have to meet in the classroom right? Why one earth should there be no standards on the football field? Remember, a coach is only allowed 85 scholarships a year. If people really cared so much about this, they'd remove the limits.
IMO, Harbaugh should drop the medical scholarship offer and tell the kid to look for a transfer because his football scholarship will not be renewed. Statements like this hurt the team, and you don't want kids like this poisoning the locker room or staying around the program.

Make the kid play somewhere else or pay for his education if he wants to stay at UM.
I agree with both. I think the BIG has 4 year in place so he has to get the kid on a medical to replace him.

The Oversigning site was about how the BIG had a huge disadvantage the SEC didn't have. It's leveled out by SEC putting limits on recruits and Urban using SEC tactics to quickly build a quality team.

Huston Nutt signed 36 players in one year that pushed the limit so far the SEC had to do something.

Saban got a bad rep due to the sanctions we were just coming off of and he needed 85 players asap. He never signed 36 in 1 year and even auburn caught and passed us during their years after Tubbs and Chizic when his limo and super buss started the rounds.

Coaches are paid to win and morality can conflict with some of the strategies used to field the best players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.