Would you vote to legalize Polygamy? If not, why not?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, I just found out my blow up doll is a lesbian, but I figure the odds of five wives all having a headache at the same time are really astronomical.

Yes, I stole those from Rodney.

I'm again personally opposed on religious grounds but in all honesty - I don't really care. I wasn't preachy on the issue just legalized and I wouldn't really raise a stink here.

This is something people have to accept - we can't control what all goes on. There are couples TODAY in Utah and even HERE IN TEXAS practicing that stuff.

You know, there's a point where even if my evangelical Christianity is 100% totally right (e.g. I'm not wrong about anything in the next life), folks have already heard and know it's sin, whatever "it" is. At that point, does one more screaming guy really make any difference?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, I just found out my blow up doll is a lesbian, but I figure the odds of five wives all having a headache at the same time are really astronomical.

I'm again personally opposed on religious grounds but in all honesty - I don't really care. I wasn't preachy on the issue just legalized and I wouldn't really raise a stink here.

This is something people have to accept - we can't control what all goes on. There are couples TODAY in Utah and even HERE IN TEXAS practicing that stuff.

You know, there's a point where even if my evangelical Christianity is 100% totally right (e.g. I'm not wrong about anything in the next life), folks have already heard and know it's sin, whatever "it" is. At that point, does one more screaming guy really make any difference?
In defense of Texas, the group settled from Utah was a sect of Warren Jeffs, a known pedophile. I don't think I'd count them in the mix because many, if not all, of those "child" brides were emotionally as well as physically molested and did not enter into those arrangements on their own free will.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm sort of with DP on this one. My tolerance level ends at pedophilia, and it was rampant in Jeffers' little kingdom. The escaped women have been clear that it was all about sex. The other problem I have with colonies like his is public assistance. Those groups have made an art out of manipulating the welfare laws to their benefit. I'd like them to do what they want, with the restrictions noted above, but I don't want to support their lifestyles...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I would vote no, because (assuming a majority also voted no) it would set up what I enjoy most, which is being reminded by the judicial branch that the will of the people of a state doesn't mean anything.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
While I personally believe believe in the traditional one man and one woman idea of marriage, and that sex outside of marriage is wrong (in mot without sin in this regard, but that's another discussion), I also value religious freedom and don't believe our democratic laws should be modeled by any one religion. Islam is one of the big three worldwide, and it legitimately allows polygamy.

I have five rules for for sexual behavior that I would consider "my business" if people break.
1. Is it consentual?
2. Is it between adults? (Gray area here if both are teenagers, or very close in age.)
3. Is it behind closed doors?
4. Are they taking responsibility? (If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em, or if you knowingly engage in risky behavior, don't whine that government needs to spend more on AIDS.)
5. Be honest with your partner(s), so they can properly decide if they are willing to assume their risks.

If all those are satisfied, it's none of my business (even rule 5 is borderline not my business if the first four are met; it's more of a respectful courtesy). I would probably abstain from actually voting, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it became law. If I ever do get married, it will be with someone who shares my core beliefs.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I wouldn't care enough either way to spend part of my day going to the polls to vote on it. My free time is spent on me & the things I enjoy, not on the personal life of someone I don't know/will never meet.

Why? Read what selma wrote.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I didn't really have a big "why?" -- I was curious mostly. I find that "between adults" and "behind closed doors" is a common reply.....and one I can understand. I don't know if I agree 100%, because there are always exceptions to every rule. Adults who are incapable of making personal decisions would be an example.....incest relationship between consenting adults......and I'm sure there are others. But, for the most part, I am just curious as to the thought process of others.

Maybe, my "vote" question has more to do with would you "vote" for a President (or Senator, Rep, etc) that wanted to legalize "Polygamy".....

Finally - I do find it odd that those that care so much about protecting children are indifferent as to what goes on in a house "behind closed doors".....even if the children would be deemed "legally" safe....

I enjoy the responses.....gives insight for sure.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I would probably say no but if it became legal I wouldn't care either. Marriage may need to be actually defined to put all these issues to rest. I would probably be fine with a definition of 2 consenting non related (to a certain extent) mentally capable adults of a certain age (TBD). I hope that covered it all.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I would probably say no but if it became legal I wouldn't care either. Marriage may need to be actually defined to put all these issues to rest. I would probably be fine with a definition of 2 consenting non related (to a certain extent) mentally capable adults of a certain age (TBD). I hope that covered it all.
Um...Hahaha! Lots of people this past week thought it already had been and that it was changed.

I started to nuance and caveat earlier regarding welfare/social security/etc but that seems pretty obvious to me. Even so I have to believe some would insist on full benefits for each spouse.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I didn't really have a big "why?" -- I was curious mostly. I find that "between adults" and "behind closed doors" is a common reply.....and one I can understand. I don't know if I agree 100%, because there are always exceptions to every rule. Adults who are incapable of making personal decisions would be an example.....incest relationship between consenting adults......and I'm sure there are others. But, for the most part, I am just curious as to the thought process of others.

Maybe, my "vote" question has more to do with would you "vote" for a President (or Senator, Rep, etc) that wanted to legalize "Polygamy".....

Finally - I do find it odd that those that care so much about protecting children are indifferent as to what goes on in a house "behind closed doors".....even if the children would be deemed "legally" safe....

I enjoy the responses.....gives insight for sure.
Well Im going to go out on a limb and say it will not be legalized in the US anytime soon. The most direct reason I can give you is the military. The military is the guinie pig for all new civil rights ideas the government expirements with. Big examples were integration and gay rights. The biggest reason Im using the military is because once you are married you get a larger BAH pay for dependents. Also you will either have a lot of GIs either being bankrupt or making bank on tax day because of dependents.

Personally I dont care if it is or isnt.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If any man is crazy enough to want two or more wives, who am I to stop him. I've always wondered if the Mormon Church gives out Xanax to the men.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
mikes12 said:
I have five rules for for sexual behavior that I would consider "my business" if people break.
1. Is it consentual?
2. Is it between adults? (Gray area here if both are teenagers, or very close in age.)
3. Is it behind closed doors?
4. Are they taking responsibility? (If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em, or if you knowingly engage in risky behavior, don't whine that government needs to spend more on AIDS.)
5. Be honest with your partner(s), so they can properly decide if they are willing to assume their risks.
*Like* and Ditto.
I really don't care what other people do. For me, I already have the personal experience of living with two women. Would I like to be married to them both at the same time? Not on your life.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well Im going to go out on a limb and say it will not be legalized in the US anytime soon. The most direct reason I can give you is the military. The military is the guinie pig for all new civil rights ideas the government expirements with. Big examples were integration and gay rights. The biggest reason Im using the military is because once you are married you get a larger BAH pay for dependents. Also you will either have a lot of GIs either being bankrupt or making bank on tax day because of dependents.

Personally I dont care if it is or isnt.
I disagree. I think the Courts will rule on polygamy as well as overturn the Texas federal judge's ruling on the illegality of Obama's immigration amnesty program. I think his legacy is solidified for whatever that may be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.