The Saga of Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Agree with your assertion that Ole Myth and Freeze must be dirty.

Why do you say Alabama, Georgia, Texas, etc. are questionable programs for getting top recruits?
I don't get that pitmaster is saying Bama, LSU & UGA are dirty, just that they have tradition of puting players in the League, great facilities and/or great location, none of which Ole Miss has, yet CHF is landing great recruits for a school with limited success in placing players in the NFL, which does not have great facilities, and is not in a great location, thus, something smells funny.
I don't know. If you can promise a player immediate playing time and you are morally flexible, I think just being an SEC school will land you some recruits.
In the absence of something more concrete, I don't know that Ole Miss is dirty just because a good player signs there rather than at Alabama. A lot of things go into a kid's decision, and playing time is a big one.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't get that pitmaster is saying Bama, LSU & UGA are dirty, just that they have tradition of puting players in the League, great facilities and/or great location, none of which Ole Miss has, yet CHF is landing great recruits for a school with limited success in placing players in the NFL, which does not have great facilities, and is not in a great location, thus, something smells funny.
I don't know. If you can promise a player immediate playing time and you are morally flexible, I think just being an SEC school will land you some recruits.
In the absence of something more concrete, I don't know that Ole Miss is dirty just because a good player signs there rather than at Alabama. A lot of things go into a kid's decision, and playing time is a big one.
I think there are dirty moves by every big name program and some middle of the pack teams. Some get caught and some don't that's how it works.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Some of my Oxford buddies are starting to get optimistic about Tunsil. But in my experience they tend to be an optimistic fan base but that optimism used to fade after the fifth game or so....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think there are dirty moves by every big name program and some middle of the pack teams. Some get caught and some don't that's how it works.
I agree in principle, but there is a difference between dirty by ridiculous NCAA rules and dirty by any reasonable measure. All schools bend the former while few are guilty of the later.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree in principle, but there is a difference between dirty by ridiculous NCAA rules and dirty by any reasonable measure. All schools bend the former while few are guilty of the later.
Define reasonable measure. Are you more referring to when tOSU and the Pryor thing happened or referring to pay for play? I think the NCAA has a big issue with pfp but they are selective on how strict they are depending on team and player.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
@81

Book gate and selling jerseys are examples, as is selling autographs or making commercials. These kids may never make a nickel in the pros and should be able to make money while they are able.

Outright pay for play has to be banned and I think that it is pretty infrequent or the other stuff would never happen with high talent/profile players. Why sell your stuff at a higher risk of getting caught if you can just get more money from daddy booster?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Outright pay for play has to be banned and I think that it is pretty infrequent or the other stuff would never happen with high talent/profile players. Why sell your stuff at a higher risk of getting caught if you can just get more money from daddy booster?
The $100 handshakes are everywhere.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
@81

Book gate and selling jerseys are examples, as is selling autographs or making commercials. These kids may never make a nickel in the pros and should be able to make money while they are able.

I think, no matter what anyone does, that there are people that will find ways to circumvent all rules when it comes to enticing quality players to commit to their program. It's the nature of the beast.

Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Call it a figure of speech...
You think that the larger payments are common? Not arguing the point as I am too far removed to even guess anymore. I know that they were very common at one point but I thought that had changed.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let's just say this, Ole Miss is obviously paying their players a lot and it's more than just $100 handshake money.

Just look at their class a few years ago, even their coach couldn't explain it. They basically had the best signing day (remember this is Ole Miss we're talking about), their best recruiting class ever, and coming off what was in fact a mediocre year with a fairly unproven head coach. There was no logical reason, none at all that suddenly all these uncommitted guys would all decide to go play for Ole Miss.

That is unless you consider the fact that they were enticed with large sums of money. But, that does also prove another point which is that clearly other programs were not doing that to the same extent, otherwise those guys wouldn't have decided against going to FSU, Alabama, etc... (we're talking about guys heavily sought after by the top programs) and suddenly developed a desire to go play football in Mississippi. So, we learned two things, Ole Miss is paying players and obviously other regional programs are not doing it to the extent they are.

If I recall though, Ole Miss really started landing guys after the NCAA basically demonstrated they wouldn't do anything to punish offenders. I suppose Ole Miss boosters took this as open season, and the reason they managed to land so many uncommitted guys seems fairly obvious, they were able to target guys who couldn't make up their mind, who could be swayed and who arguably were up for the highest bidder. The boosters clearly got the right idea, let's try to land one massive class and this will produce on field results. Wasn't that basically how it went in the movie Blue Chips to?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's just say this, Ole Miss is obviously paying their players a lot and it's more than just $100 handshake money.

Just look at their class a few years ago, even their coach couldn't explain it. They basically had the best signing day (remember this is Ole Miss we're talking about), their best recruiting class ever, and coming off what was in fact a mediocre year with a fairly unproven head coach. There was no logical reason, none at all that suddenly all these uncommitted guys would all decide to go play for Ole Miss.

That is unless you consider the fact that they were enticed with large sums of money. But, that does also prove another point which is that clearly other programs were not doing that to the same extent, otherwise those guys wouldn't have decided against going to FSU, Alabama, etc... (we're talking about guys heavily sought after by the top programs) and suddenly developed a desire to go play football in Mississippi. So, we learned two things, Ole Miss is paying players and obviously other regional programs are not doing it to the extent they are.

If I recall though, Ole Miss really started landing guys after the NCAA basically demonstrated they wouldn't do anything to punish offenders. I suppose Ole Miss boosters took this as open season, and the reason they managed to land so many uncommitted guys seems fairly obvious, they were able to target guys who couldn't make up their mind, who could be swayed and who arguably were up for the highest bidder. The boosters clearly got the right idea, let's try to land one massive class and this will produce on field results. Wasn't that basically how it went in the movie Blue Chips to?
This also coincided with Dickie Scruggs' release from prison. I posted this in a previous thread discussing Ole Miss's recruiting success.

Ole Miss' heralded 2013 class is the one that raised so many eyebrows. Of their 27 signees, over 10 did not commit to them until January or February. That's not really uncommon. Until you look at who the players were and consider the happenings of a well to do Ole Miss booster at that time.

Let's examine it:

Prior to January 2013, Ole Miss had four commits rated as 4* by Rivals. One was a QB from Jackson Prep in Jackson, and another was a RB from Memphis. The other two were JUCO guys (Nick Brassell - previously kicked off team at Ole Miss, and Lavon Hooks).

In December 2012, Ole Miss booster Dickie Scruggs was freed from prison after appealing a ruling to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Here's a 2007 Wall-Street Journal piece about Scruggs legal issues. Here's the relation to Ole Miss:

It's no surprise that Oxford is rallying to Mr. Scruggs's defense. Oxford and the university have benefited immensely from the success of Mr. Scruggs, an alumnus of the "Ole Miss" law school. A music building at the university bears the names of Mr. and Mrs. Scruggs. In 1998 the couple pledged $25 million to help raise salaries of liberal-arts professors.

Mr. Scruggs moved to Oxford four years ago from the Gulf Coast town of Pascagoula, Miss. He earned hundreds of millions of dollars representing state attorneys general in a landmark, $206 billion settlement struck with tobacco companies in 1998. More recently, he has played a leading role in battling the insurance industry since Hurricane Katrina devastated Mississippi's coastline in 2005. The home he kept in Pascagoula was destroyed in the storm, along with the home of his brother-in-law, former Senate Republican leader Trent Lott, who is retiring from the Senate.
Going back to the recruiting class after December, these are the players that committed/signed.

Kailo Moore (4*)
Laquon Treadwell (5*)
Quincy Adeboyejo (4*)
Jordan Wilkins (4*)
Herbert Moore (3*)
David Kamara (3*)
Robert Nkemdiche (5*)
Marcus Robinson (3*)
Laremy Tunsil (5*)
Arshad Jackson (3*)
Austin Golson (4*)
Antonio Conner (4*)

Tunsil's recruitment was focused on three teams - Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. All of a sudden, he takes a trip to Oxford and decides that is the place for him.

Laquon Treadwell tweeted the below picture (we can't get too carried away since Dee Liner did the same).

Austin Golson was a FSU commit for over a year. He decides to flip to Ole Miss late in the process.

Antonio "Tony" Conner was seen as Bama's for months, but many expected his signature to be a tough pull out of South Panola.

Robert Nkemdiche originally committed to Clemson in the summer. He then decides he wants to reopen his commitment. He ends up signing with Ole Miss where his brother plays. However, word begins to spread that their father was offered a position at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

What attracts all those stars to a place with very little history, especially recent history, like Ole Miss coached by a guy entering his third season of FBS coaching with an overall record of 17-8?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.