The Saga of Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
When asked for a comment today, Billy "Dog" Brewer, the former Ole Miss coach and mentor to present Coach Hugh Freeze was heard to say "Well, if ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'". ;)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
ncaa looking into ole miss for 3 years?:eek2:
I alluded to the NCAA showing their ineptitude earlier, and I could be wrong but I think right around the time that the Miami "punishment" was handed down, Ole Miss suddenly got real good at recruiting. The problem is that now even if the NCAA knows something major is going on, like at Miami or even Auburn, they just won't do anything about it. It is an issue though because it means different teams are playing by different sets of rules, but generally it is worth the risk. Look at the success Ole Miss has had (or Auburn with Cam), vs. you know... a lot of losing seasons. It's worth a slap on the wrist to them, right?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I alluded to the NCAA showing their ineptitude earlier, and I could be wrong but I think right around the time that the Miami "punishment" was handed down, Ole Miss suddenly got real good at recruiting.
That punishment was in October 2013. Freeze replaced Houston Nutt in December 2011. The recruiting class that raised eyebrows was in 2013. You're right in the overall aspect, though. The NCAA's lack of action/punishment led to programs being more active in their recruiting ways to get big time recruits. Dickie Scruggs' release from prison probably played the biggest role in Ole Miss's recruiting success, though.

The problem is that now even if the NCAA knows something major is going on, like at Miami or even Auburn, they just won't do anything about it. It is an issue though because it means different teams are playing by different sets of rules, but generally it is worth the risk. Look at the success Ole Miss has had (or Auburn with Cam), vs. you know... a lot of losing seasons. It's worth a slap on the wrist to them, right?
Has Ole Miss gained anything from it, though? In the two recruiting classes since the 2013 one, 247Sports ranked their classes #15 (#8 in the SEC) and #17 (#7 in SEC) in the nation, respectfully. Look at this breakdown of their three most recruiting classes.

National Class RankingSEC RankingAverage RatingTop Recruit Rank# of 5*s

The 2013 class had five players ranked in 247's Composite rankings top 100. The last two classes combined have had four. Freeze better win this year because at least three of those four 5* recruits are gone after this year. Last year's success has helped with the 2016 recruiting class. 247 currently ranks it #9 in the nation with three players in the top 100.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Sounds like pretty awful news for Tunsil in terms of his college eligibility -- though not necessarily for his eventual professional career -- but I'm not sure if it's that troubling to the entire program if you're Ole Miss.

Obviously the idea of a three-year long investigation into your program is alarming on its face, but as a practical matter investigations that last that long aren't coincidences, but instead usually indicative of the fact that they haven't been able to uncover anything of substance just yet. And if you haven't found it in three years, well...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Sounds like pretty awful news for Tunsil in terms of his college eligibility -- though not necessarily for his eventual professional career -- but I'm not sure if it's that troubling to the entire program if you're Ole Miss.

Obviously the idea of a three-year long investigation into your program is alarming on its face, but as a practical matter investigations that last that long aren't coincidences, but instead usually indicative of the fact that they haven't been able to uncover anything of substance just yet. And if you haven't found it in three years, well...
Rest assured they have found plenty. As long as Ole Miss tells them to shove it, there is nothing they can do about it. Doubt if NCAA would do anything anyway. NCAA is like DOTs. Have a lot of people getting a check for doing nothing and are not concerned about whether or not they do anything.

Edit: And, again like the DOTs, the ones that are doing something don't care if they get it wrong. That way they get paid for doing it again.

Case in point. I once worked for a company located East of I-285 just North of I-20. During the 10 years in which I traveled to that job the GA DOT rebuilt the bridges on I-20 above Snapfinger Woods Creek THREE times. The first was to widen them for a safety lane. The second was to widen the highway. The third was to widen them AGAIN for a safety lane. The bridges could have been built originally to accommodate all of that. ONCE. Not once + three times.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
That punishment was in October 2013. Freeze replaced Houston Nutt in December 2011. The recruiting class that raised eyebrows was in 2013. You're right in the overall aspect, though. The NCAA's lack of action/punishment led to programs being more active in their recruiting ways to get big time recruits. Dickie Scruggs' release from prison probably played the biggest role in Ole Miss's recruiting success, though.

Has Ole Miss gained anything from it, though? In the two recruiting classes since the 2013 one, 247Sports ranked their classes #15 (#8 in the SEC) and #17 (#7 in SEC) in the nation, respectfully. Look at this breakdown of their three most recruiting classes.

National Class RankingSEC RankingAverage RatingTop Recruit Rank# of 5*s

The 2013 class had five players ranked in 247's Composite rankings top 100. The last two classes combined have had four. Freeze better win this year because at least three of those four 5* recruits are gone after this year. Last year's success has helped with the 2016 recruiting class. 247 currently ranks it #9 in the nation with three players in the top 100.
The trend in that table seems to coincide with the NCAA taking a closer look at Ole Miss beginning in 2013. Once Ole Miss got their attention, recruting success seems to have slipped a bit.

DeeBeast

Sep 15, 2015
While there is no doubt Ole Miss found some money to disperse in 2013 does anyone else feel a little bad for Laremy about how this unfolded? Seems like his snitchin step dad was mad at his mom and is now making Laremy pay for it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
While there is no doubt Ole Miss found some money to disperse in 2013 does anyone else feel a little bad for Laremy about how this unfolded? Seems like his snitchin step dad was mad at his mom and is now making Laremy pay for it.
the Step Dad strikes me as an opportunist jerk trying to cash in on the kid. The kid strikes me as an opportunist jerk trying to cash in prematurely on himself. Hard to feel bad for anybody in this mess

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Rest assured they have found plenty. As long as Ole Miss tells them to shove it, there is nothing they can do about it. Doubt if NCAA would do anything anyway. NCAA is like DOTs. Have a lot of people getting a check for doing nothing and are not concerned about whether or not they do anything.
To me, found-nothing-so-doing-nothing versus found-plenty-but-doing-nothing is a semantic distinction without a difference. Either way, Ole Miss as a whole is getting nothing from it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I need to say something regarding his dad. Tunsil and His step dad got into the argument, because Tunsil was riding around in cars with Agent and step dad didnt like that, because he knew that would be bad.. That's what the argument was about between step dad and mom.. regarding Tunsil potentially breaking NCAA rules... I'm not defending Tunsil's dad.. but we just need to know the facts before we call him some kind of names... Did Dad handle it right? No. did Tunsil handle this right? no. Did anyone even handle this one right? Nope. But what's done is done. Tunsil made his bed, and he's gonna have to lay in it. I feel somewhat bad for him, but hey, He's still going to NFL and make lot of millions...

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I, for one, do not. If he'd followed the rules he'd be on the field Saturday.

DeeBeast

Sep 15, 2015
I need to say something regarding his dad. Tunsil and His step dad got into the argument, because Tunsil was riding around in cars with Agent and step dad didnt like that, because he knew that would be bad.. That's what the argument was about between step dad and mom.. regarding Tunsil potentially breaking NCAA rules... I'm not defending Tunsil's dad.. but we just need to know the facts before we call him some kind of names... Did Dad handle it right? No. did Tunsil handle this right? no. Did anyone even handle this one right? Nope. But what's done is done. Tunsil made his bed, and he's gonna have to lay in it. I feel somewhat bad for him, but hey, He's still going to NFL and make lot of millions...
Thats the funny and ironic part. Step dad didn't want him to jeopardize his future by making it look fishy so instead he ratted him out to ensure his future was in jeopardy. Makes no sense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That punishment was in October 2013. Freeze replaced Houston Nutt in December 2011. The recruiting class that raised eyebrows was in 2013. You're right in the overall aspect, though. The NCAA's lack of action/punishment led to programs being more active in their recruiting ways to get big time recruits.
I had to do some digging and what I was thinking of must have been the North Carolina stuff. They were all kinds of dirty, did all kinds of stuff (I guess it's reopened now for what it's worth) and did anyone discuss the death penalty? Nope, just a slap on the wrist really, especially if you consider how the NCAA handled things like textbooks in the past.

Here's how I saw the Ole Miss situation, we know funny stuff goes on down there, funny stuff goes on a lot of places. But, some really funny went down with that 2013 class. I think anything before or after pales in comparison. Was it because they didn't fear the NCAA or just because someone got out of jail? I don't know, but anyone who followed recruiting at all knew something was up. A program like Ole Miss doesn't just land the top remaining uncommitted guys, not when most of them are out of state.

What was the point and benefit of all that though? Did they do a cost benefit analysis or what? It seems like they knew they could offer playing time, they thought they were heading on the right direction, and honestly I feel like they thought Robert Nkemdiche was in play. Seems they just saw a window of opportunity to go all "Blue Chips" on the recruiting trail and land a class that changed things.

And they did... I mean we're not just talking 5 star ratings, Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkemdiche are all first team SEC guys and Conner is second team. It worked, but where was the benefit and what's the weakness? Well they beat Alabama last year, without those guys they landed late in 2013 that just doesn't happen. But, they are vulnerable in that they rely on those guys. Treadwell gets hurt, they get banged up and Ole Miss falls apart last year.

This year? They have a shot again though. They can beat Alabama, but we all know it's that 2013 class that gives them a chance. I think that's what this was all about, they went out and bought a chance, honestly it seems they spent wisely.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I need to say something regarding his dad. Tunsil and His step dad got into the argument, because Tunsil was riding around in cars with Agent and step dad didnt like that, because he knew that would be bad.. That's what the argument was about between step dad and mom.. regarding Tunsil potentially breaking NCAA rules...
That's what dear ole stepdad says. It's just as likely the falling-out had to do with the shrinking size of stepdad's cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Lots of forking paths here, but rest assured ole miss went "all in" with recruiting and they are as dirty as poor pigpen from Charlie Brown

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ole Miss announced last night Laremy will be out this week but will be back for the TAMU game. Link

Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil will make his 2015 debut when the Rebels host Texas A&M , but the All-American will miss Saturday's game against Memphis. The school announced Monday night that the NCAA has decided to suspend Tunsil for seven games for accepting impermissible benefits.

The NCAA determined that Tunsil received extra benefits that included "the use of three separate loaner vehicles over a sixth-month period without payment, a four-month interest-free promissory note on $3,000 down payment for purchasing a used vehicle, two nights of lodging at a local home, an airline ticket and one day use of a rental vehicle."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.