The Saga of Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He does all of that and gets to come back, while Will Grier gets a full year for taking PEDs. The NCAA is so screwed up. smh
Not sure I follow you - PEDs directly influence how well Grier played on the field, what Tunsil was driving did not. PEDs are an actual competitive advantage and should therefore carry a much stiffer penalty, imo.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Not sure I follow you - PEDs directly influence how well Grier played on the field, what Tunsil was driving did not. PEDs are an actual competitive advantage and should therefore carry a much stiffer penalty, imo.
He took cash, cars, and God knows what else (and the NCAA can't tell me that Ole Miss didn't know and played him last year).....Bama has had to forfeit wins, lose players, etc for far less. Also, I'm still trying to figure out why PEDs get you 1 year, while pot or coke gets you 1 game. Just weird to me. I can't believe that I'm trying to figure out the NCAA......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He took cash, cars, and God knows what else (and the NCAA can't tell me that Ole Miss didn't know and played him last year).....Bama has had to forfeit wins, lose players, etc for far less. Also, I'm still trying to figure out why PEDs get you 1 year, while pot or coke gets you 1 game. Just weird to me. I can't believe that I'm trying to figure out the NCAA......
Because PEDs are punished by the NCAA while the other failed tests are punished by the schools.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never heard of someone smoking weed or doing lines in order to improve their play on the field. Heck, I suspect the quality of play declines massively when using those drugs (whether during the game or not). PEDs are very different - they are literally using drugs to cheat in each game.

Cars, cash, etc. help with recruiting and making players happy, but they don't directly influence the game like PEDs do.

I get that the NCAA hasn't always been consistent about a lot of things, but PEDs have long been an serious offense because of what they mean to the integrity of the game.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Because PEDs are punished by the NCAA while the other failed tests are punished by the schools.
Actually, the NCAA tests for all drugs, including marijuana and cocaine (what they call 'street drugs') - if those show up in the bloodstream, the punishment is the same. Almost every case of a player being 'busted' is the school intervening and testing before the NCAA does in order to punish the players in-house, typically for only a game or two (each school has their own policies).

From the NCAA:
"The penalty for positive tests of both performance-enhancing and street drugs is strict and automatic. Student-athletes lose one full year of eligibility for the first offense (25 percent of their total eligibility) and are withheld from competition for a full season. A second positive test for street drugs results in another lost year of eligibility and year withheld from competition. A second positive result for PED usage will render the student-athlete permanently ineligible."

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Cars, cash, etc. help with recruiting and making players happy, but they don't directly influence the game like PEDs do.
Since it does directly affect where someone decides to play, it does have a direct influence on the game.

Ol' Spit got off easy. That is the point; not that UF got hammered for no good reason.

If the NZAA did their job, they may find Tunsil is the tip of the iceberg.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I've never heard of someone smoking weed or doing lines in order to improve their play on the field. Heck, I suspect the quality of play declines massively when using those drugs (whether during the game or not). PEDs are very different - they are literally using drugs to cheat in each game.
Cocaine worked pretty well for Hollywood Henderson and Lawrence Taylor.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
IIRC wasn't there some allegation made of academic fraud concerning grade changes to Tunsil's high school transcript? Wondering if they looked into that?

But then again, what does the NCAA care about academics?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is clearly something going on at Ole Miss, but do we really want an "empowered" NCAA roaming around college football again? I'd rather see this kind of weak enforcement than the crap that we saw for a few decades.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
There is clearly something going on at Ole Miss, but do we really want an "empowered" NCAA roaming around college football again? I'd rather see this kind of weak enforcement than the crap that we saw for a few decades.
The thing that bugs me in all of this is - if it was Ole Miss boosters giving all these impermissible benefits how is that not a "lack of institutional control"?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anyone see if Tunsil paid back what he was given? It's not mentioned in the link I posted. That's usually what allows a player back after a suspension.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone see if Tunsil paid back what he was given? It's not mentioned in the link I posted. That's usually what allows a player back after a suspension.
I have not seen that level of detail but assume that he has. As you said, that is one of the required steps to be considered for reinstatement.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The NCAA was out of its jurisdiction on that ruling.
The NCAA's jurisdiction is pretty wide and admittedly nebulous. Their problem with the Penn State sanctions was likely due process and not boundaries of jurisdiction. They acted quickly without legally solidifying their justification and ended up getting smacked by Penn State's lawyers for it. This is part of the reason why they typically move slowly on sanctions because they know litigiousness is a possibility for the sanctioned and they have a bountiful harvest of nebulous mandates from the institutions that only need to be creatively applied to get the A-OK from a federal judge.

Its worked well for them with all this player pay stuff...federal judges will buy the myth of amateurism hook, line, and sinker without even considering the concept of amateurism itself as it applies to a now multi-billion dollar industry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.