The Saga of Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Is it really hacking into his account if he gives the advisor the phone with the accounts still logged in?
No, but everyone lies and calls is hacking when someone other than the person in whose name the account is in uses it. They set their phone down, someone types something on twitter, they go "I was hacked". Yeah... that's not hacking, but what ever.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
so what I'm reading is that Tunsil was likely ineligible when he started playing again mid-season.
Yeah, exactly. Also,

The man scheduled agents' meetings with Tunsil and his mother, Desiree Polingo, and handled other duties for him.
Doesn't that also render you ineligible?

Also, strongly suggests those were indeed his texts with the OM staff about money for mommy.

Hugh Freeze be like :eek2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think it is illegal to talk to agents while still participating in NCAA football, you just can't sign with them. The issue is that the guy was really a proxy for an agent. He was deceiving Tunsil, so the NCAA would likely take some consideration on it. At either rate, he still took benefits from the runner such as the cellphone. At some point you have to start being skeptical of all the "well he didn't know this was a problem" things like when he was just keeping a car rental without anyone coming around asking for it. Oops, right?!

This will end up being an additive to the NCAA's case I believe. It might not be a key piece in their case but clearly they aren't educating their athletes well enough or just don't care. It could add up to lack of institutional control. The SEC Network and Paul Finebaum might be damage controlling for Oxford but I just don't see how the NCAA doesn't get their pound of flesh from Ole Miss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, if those text are from some time after the purchase of the phone (no guarantee) then welp...say hello to a vacated Sugar Bowl season.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
No, but everyone lies and calls is hacking when someone other than the person in whose name the account is in uses it. They set their phone down, someone types something on twitter, they go "I was hacked". Yeah... that's not hacking, but what ever.
If you think about it, almost nothing Tunsil says has the ring of truth. Seriously, even if you were given a new phone, would you just hand over your old phone? I can think of very few reasons one would just give an old phone to someone who is your "agent", the main one being that this phone has incriminating evidence and needs to be destroyed. For some reason this reminds me of Roger Clemens and Brian McNamee. Geez... you don't think...?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
As RGW said, no problem with talking to an agent. As long as you don't sign anything (even a napkin), or take money, you'll be okay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This will end up being an additive to the NCAA's case I believe. It might not be a key piece in their case but clearly they aren't educating their athletes well enough or just don't care. It could add up to lack of institutional control. The SEC Network and Paul Finebaum might be damage controlling for Oxford but I just don't see how the NCAA doesn't get their pound of flesh from Ole Miss.
My whole point about Ole Miss since the start of their buying players on the open market was that it just can't be allowed. A lot of the Tunsil stuff, isn't that big a deal to me personally, or necessarily to the NCAA. The key is by all appearances, he was headed elsewhere and he was coerced, with financial rewards, to go to Ole Miss. That's a problem and that's not ok. The NCAA absolutely had to do something about this and with all the stuff going on with Tunsil, this has been gift wrapped for the NCAA. They have actual evidence, they have public accounts, they have what they need to punish Ole Miss for their behavior and it's desperately needed to prevent this situation from escalating.

I felt like the Auburn situation was a big one, and I felt like the Miami situation was a big one. How the NCAA botched both of those lead us to this. I can't help but see the NCAA as having two strikes. They don't need to, and heck they shouldn't butcher Ole Miss like they did to Alabama. But they darn sure need to make it hurt enough that Ole Miss won't be so audacious in the future. We shall see though...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

In wake of Tunsil admission, SEC should put Hugh Freeze on probation

You’ve heard it all before: Ole Miss cheats and the NCAA is overly legislated, slow and unfair. Well, that’s why it’s time for the SEC to step in.

Hugh Freeze and his coaching staff should be placed on probation by the SEC and taken off the road for recruiting purposes following the Laremy Tunsil fiasco that took place during the NFL draft last week. Investigators like to find a smoking gun? Tunsil provided a flamethrower when he admitted to accepting money from a coach during a news conference in Chicago shortly after he was drafted.
Bianchi: Dolphins pick Laremy Tunsil is why Gators didn't pursue Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze

The swirling controversy surrounding Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, the Miami Dolphins' first-round draft pick, is essentially why the Florida Gators never considered hiring Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze.

Remember when the Gators fired Will Muschamp and everybody just assumed Freeze — the charismatic, offensive-minded head coach who turned around Ole Miss' perennially puny program — would be the No. 1 candidate for the UF job. Turns out, Freeze was never even considered because of the rumors and rumblings involving an NCAA investigation that was announced shortly after the Gators hired Jim McElwain.

Many of the concerns about Freeze focused on Tunsil, who was suspended for seven games during his junior season for receiving a bevy of improper benefits, including the use of three loaner cars over a six-month period and a $3,000 interest-free loan.

The heat obviously got turned up on the Ole Miss investigation after Thursday's draft-night fiasco in which Tunsil's Instagram and Twitter accounts were apparently hacked and a screen grab of a text appeared to show Tunsil requesting money from an Ole Miss assistant athletic director.

After Florida hired McElwain, UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley told me that some potential coaching candidates had been eliminated because of character issues. Although Foley never mentioned Freeze by name, it's quite clear now why the Ole Miss coach was never a candidate to coach the Gators. …

Didn't hear the entire interview, but Bianchi was on Finebaum yesterday discussing this. Got the sense he knew things were coming for OM, and Florida wanted nothing to do with Freeze because of it.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
My whole point about Ole Miss since the start of their buying players on the open market was that it just can't be allowed. A lot of the Tunsil stuff, isn't that big a deal to me personally, or necessarily to the NCAA. The key is by all appearances, he was headed elsewhere and he was coerced, with financial rewards, to go to Ole Miss. That's a problem and that's not ok....
Schools can't really coerce someone to take money. They can only entice. But, his mom could possibly coerce him and I think something like that happened here. That mom pops up everywhere and she seems to be receiving the benefits too.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
What I don't understand, is if according to the lawyer that those texts had already been gone over with The NCAA, why did OM say they were looking into them?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wow! So, if he testifies under oath violations would be exposed. That is pretty clear. If I were the NCAA, I would set up camp at Ole Miss and follow every player and coach 24/7 until I have enough dirt to bury them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Wow! So, if he testifies under oath violations would be exposed. That is pretty clear. If I were the NCAA, I would set up camp at Ole Miss and follow every player and coach 24/7 until I have enough dirt to bury them.
The most damning part is he's basically admitting he had firsthand knowledge of violations. I was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt in my earliest allegations, saying basically boosters could be doing this all without his involvement. Now though, after it's become clear a coach was involved and Hugh can't testify because of the NCAA? Well... there goes that notion, he obviously had his hands dirty, otherwise he'd have plausible deniability.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The most damning part is he's basically admitting he had firsthand knowledge of violations. I was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt in my earliest allegations, saying basically boosters could be doing this all without his involvement. Now though, after it's become clear a coach was involved and Hugh can't testify because of the NCAA? Well... there goes that notion, he obviously had his hands dirty, otherwise he'd have plausible deniability.
That or he made the stupid mistake of asking Laremy for all the details.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That or he made the stupid mistake of asking Laremy for all the details.
If the judge decides that what Hugh has to say is potentially relevant, it's hard to imagine he will jeopardize a criminal proceeding for Freeze's potential exposure to the NCAA. On the other hand, this is a Mississippi court. But it's hard to imagine a transcript entered as evidence not being public record -- even in that part of the world.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
If the judge decides that what Hugh has to say is potentially relevant, it's hard to imagine he will jeopardize a criminal proceeding for Freeze's potential exposure to the NCAA. On the other hand, this is a Mississippi judge. Even so, it's hard to imagine a transcript entered as evidence not being public record -- even in that part of the world.
I think this is a civil case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.