Trump's comments - NBC and Univision reaction

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You know, as much as I think of him as a long shot. He might just be the Republicans best chance to stop Hillary. I think Trump's campaign might have to be like Reagen did in 1980 in not being the run of the mill republican and then getting in Carter's face about issues. But then again reagen was Governor of California in the 70s before he ran for president. I think Jeb or Rubio are the most likely Republicans because of them being moderates compared to Trump and owning the state of Florida, and Kasich will probably be the VP canidate in hopes to get Ohio. But it can all change if someone folds under pressure. Take into account that reagen didnt control the primaries against Bush until he beat him in Texas in May.

I dont think Trump is Reagen but I think he can be a wild card in many different ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Trump will never win the nomination. The presidency is even less likely than that.
Never said he would nor do i believe he will, but rather he would create more doubt for the Democrats. Bland canidates dont win elections, and Trump isnt one of them. Reagen won the 80 election by his mouth, and that was against a Georgia born incumbant. The debate was the nail in the coffin for Carter when Reagen destroyed him and held him liable for every single point.

As for 2016 it is for the Democrats to lose right now with most polls predicting 240(democrats) or so to 205 (GOP)with 85 swing votes at large (ohio and Florida among them). Jeb and Rubio will most likely go the Mitt Rommney and John Kerry route and basically say they dont agree with the current regime and say Bengazi this or IRS that and not have a strong overall platform, all the while the Democrats will probably lay out a more detailed plan of action and win the election easily. Trump presents a problem with both parties because he will make it personal. I dont think he survives past march in the primaries but he will make more people give a hoot.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Never said he would nor do i believe he will, but rather he would create more doubt for the Democrats. Bland canidates dont win elections, and Trump isnt one of them. Reagen won the 80 election by his mouth, and that was against a Georgia born incumbant. The debate was the nail in the coffin for Carter when Reagen destroyed him and held him liable for every single point.

As for 2016 it is for the Democrats to lose right now with most polls predicting 240(democrats) or so to 205 (GOP)with 85 swing votes at large (ohio and Florida among them). Jeb and Rubio will most likely go the Mitt Rommney and John Kerry route and basically say they dont agree with the current regime and say Bengazi this or IRS that and not have a strong overall platform, all the while the Democrats will probably lay out a more detailed plan of action and win the election easily. Trump presents a problem with both parties because he will make it personal. I dont think he survives past march in the primaries but he will make more people give a hoot.
I think that all depends on whether the left is more successful about making the issue about Trump than Trump is about getting those on the left to actually debate the many issues presently facing this country.
Unfortunately I think I already know the answer. The left is always more focused on killing the messenger than debating the issues.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do agree that the Presidency in the 2016 election is the democrats to lose. Whether Trump is right or wrong in his comments (and he maybe politically right on a lot of issues); his arrogance and his inability (or unwillingness) to say what he wants to say in a less offensive manner is not what the American voters want to hear. He is his own worst enemy.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Cruz may be the one that ends up benefiting from the Trump hoopla....because he's taken the most direct approach to it. He didn't bash Trump -- he said he "understands" why he said it....and was happy that Trump has caused the topic to come to the forefront and be discussed.

If the Tea Party gets re-energized.....behind Trump. Cruz will benefit in the long run......

but, Trump as president would be entertaining, but insanely dangerous. We've gone too far left to get that kind of a "shock" to our system would be deadly.

But, it will be entertaining.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Have the Democrats ever had a detailed plan of action regarding elections? Their action is to take what a Republican says and spin it and twist it into something completely different (e.g. a Republican mentions the need for welfare reform and the Democrats twist this into "the Republican wants to take food out of your grandmother's mouth). The Republicans put out some details while the swing voters follow the simplistic rhetoric put out by the Democrats. Trump seems to be following the Democrat's formula.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You know, as much as I think of him as a long shot. He might just be the Republicans best chance to stop Hillary. I think Trump's campaign might have to be like Reagen did in 1980 in not being the run of the mill republican and then getting in Carter's face about issues. But then again reagen was Governor of California in the 70s before he ran for president. I think Jeb or Rubio are the most likely Republicans because of them being moderates compared to Trump and owning the state of Florida, and Kasich will probably be the VP canidate in hopes to get Ohio. But it can all change if someone folds under pressure. Take into account that reagen didnt control the primaries against Bush until he beat him in Texas in May.

I dont think Trump is Reagen but I think he can be a wild card in many different ways
Setting aside his bombastic personality, here is one practical policy reason to run far away from Trump and of course never vote for him for any office, including county dog catcher:

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/265171/print

Donald Trump’s covetous nature is not in dispute, but what many may forget is that he’s no great respecter of the admonition not to steal, either: The man has a track record of using the government as a hired thug to take other people’s property.
This is called, of course, “eminent domain.” The Constitution’s Fifth Amendment allows the government to take private property for “public use,” so long as “just compensation” is paid. In the infamous 2005 Kelo decision, the Supreme Court held that “public use” could include, well, private use, so long as the new property owner paid more in taxes than the previous one. In other words, it allowed developers and the government to gang up on homeowners. The developer gets more land, the government gets more tax money. The only losers are the original owner and his prop

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Donald Trump leads new national poll

Washington (CNN)Businessman Donald Trump leads a new Republican presidential nationwide poll released Tuesday, marking the first time he's held the top spot since announcing his candidacy.

Trump secured 17% support, according to the Suffolk University/USA Today survey. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush garnered 14%, while the rest of the 2016 field remained in single digits: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, the newest entrant to the race, was at 8%; Texas Sen. Ted Cruz at 6%; Florida Sen. Marco Rubio at 5%; Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 4%; and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at 3%.

All other Republican hopefuls received less than 2% of the vote -- and about one-third of GOP voters -- 30% -- remain undecided about who they will back.

The poll's margin of error is plus or minus 5.25 percentage points.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/politics/donald-trump-leading-poll/

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Donald Trump leads new national poll

meh. I think it is an effort to really try to destroy any possibility of him actually getting to white house from both sides. From a republican standpoint, they fear that he will expose the weaknesses of all GOP canidates, and from the democrats standpoint they fear that he could expose Clinton as a weak leader. People dont want to talk about a Clinton vs Trump race realistically because it isnt that realistic at this point of time, but bravado and mudslinging is Clinton's weakness. Dont believe me, then look no further than 2008. Clinton opened up as the favorite going into the democratic primaries, but Obama was seen as far more charasmatic and would throw low jabs at her. When Clinton tried to fire back it backfired and she had those teary momments that infuriated voters. If Trump goes toe to toe with Clinton then Clinton needs to show a different side to her because Trump will force the issue.

I think Trump's weakness is gaining favor from the GOP elites. His bravado can probably sway a good chunk of the swing votes, but I think the GOP fears Trump is more of a Ron Paul and Ross Perot type figure that really doesnt have strong loyalty to the Republican Party.

Realistically I see a Clinton vs Bush, and if thats the case Clinton will win easily.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

Sounds about right, clowns belong in the Entertainment section. He is a reality tv star after all, like Snooklie and Paris Hilton
I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, Trump running itself is a joke. People saying they will vote for him is yet another joke. And, his sound bytes are truly more entertaining than they are politically insightful.
On the other hand, with all the idiots running, why single out Trump? Carly Fiorina is a bigger joke than Trump. This kind of comes across as petty. "We don't like you, so we're going to make a point of it." Trump eats this kind of thing up.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, Trump running itself is a joke. People saying they will vote for him is yet another joke. And, his sound bytes are truly more entertaining than they are politically insightful.
On the other hand, with all the idiots running, why single out Trump? Carly Fiorina is a bigger joke than Trump. This kind of comes across as petty. "We don't like you, so we're going to make a point of it." Trump eats this kind of thing up.
yeah, that's fair and you are right Carly is the bigger joke.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

Is there no line this man won't cross? He's not fit to carry John McCain's jock strap...

LINK
He's got a big mouth and proven over and over he can get his foot in there pretty deep. I think that probably marks the peak of his campaign.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He's got a big mouth and proven over and over he can get his foot in there pretty deep. I think that probably marks the peak of his campaign.
At first, he was just comic relief. Now, I'm really beginning to detest him. To try to tear down a man who cannot even tie his own tie knot because of what he suffered as a POW, when Trump got deferment after deferment and finally got 4-Feffed because of a foot bone spur (he can't remember which foot), is despicable...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

At first, he was just comic relief. Now, I'm really beginning to detest him. To try to tear down a man who cannot even tie his own tie knot because of what he suffered as a POW, when Trump got deferment after deferment and finally got 4-Feffed because of a foot bone spur (he can't remember which foot), is despicable...
it was only a matter of time before Trump stepped in it. Honestly it's been weird watching how much love he's been getting. I've felt like I was taking crazy pills with how many people I know, and respect, where acting like Trump was some sort of serious candidate.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Is there no line this man won't cross? He's not fit to carry John McCain's jock strap...

LINK
From your link:

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said. Sarcastically, Trump quipped, “He’s a war hero because he was captured.” Then, he added, “I like people that weren’t captured.”
Wow......he crossed the line right there for me too - what an awful thing to say about a member of our armed forces - especially one who spent time as a POW. He just lost all credibility for me. I certainly hope he apologized for this distasteful remark.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

From your link:

Wow......he crossed the line right there for me too - what an awful thing to say about a member of our armed forces - especially one who spent time as a POW. He just lost all credibility for me. I certainly hope he apologized for this distasteful remark.
He hasn't. Read his tweets since then. He's doubled and quadrupled down...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.