Trump's comments - NBC and Univision reaction

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
reading an opinion piece from a New Zealand newspaper on the state of the current GOP. Thought about posting as it's own topic but the following comment seems relevant here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11482176&ref=NZH_FBpage
I don't disagree that Trump is a bombastic blowhard that would be a disaster as President. But I just have a hard time caring what someone in New Zealand thinks of America. And I hate it that anyone with any intelligence cares. I do believe in treating your neighbor as you wish to be treated, so don't get me wrong. I don't want to step on other countries as if they were ants. But I also believe, with regards to world politics, in taking care of your own. And so I have a huge problem with our leaders treating countries such as Iran like they are worthy to sit at the same table as us. Under their current leadership, they are not. In that regard, Obama is just as much a failure in today's reality as we think Trump would be in tomorrow's possibility.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
It is clear that Trump has hit on the right nerve with progressives, fake conservatives, and their media lackeys. They are vicious in their attempts to drive him out of the race. If the media were fair in reporting we would be hearing about the decline of our economy, the failures of the EU's economy, China's stock market in free fall, the dirty dealing with Iran, the lack of trust from our allies created by the Obama administration, illegal immigration's drain on our economy and society, and the black on black crime that is rampant in some areas of the country. Instead the focus is on an insignificant comment about a senator who uses his military service to excuse his lack of service to America in Congress. The issues he brought up are important and the atempt to distract from them is obvious.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is clear that Trump has hit on the right nerve with progressives, fake conservatives, and their media lackeys. They are vicious in their attempts to drive him out of the race. If the media were fair in reporting we would be hearing about the decline of our economy, the failures of the EU's economy, China's stock market in free fall, the dirty dealing with Iran, the lack of trust from our allies created by the Obama administration, illegal immigration's drain on our economy and society, and the black on black crime that is rampant in some areas of the country. Instead the focus is on an insignificant comment about a senator who uses his military service to excuse his lack of service to America in Congress. The issues he brought up are important and the atempt to distract from them is obvious.
While these things are true, Trump shows an enormous lack of tact by attacking McCain's military service and heroism. That stuff is unquestioned, and what he went through makes anything Trump has done pale by comparison. Trump is a con artist and while some of his statements ring true and bring focus to very real problems with our society, he is no more trustworthy to deal with them than Obama is.

I'm just not a fan. So many others are far more capable and worthy of the office. But I agree with you that the media and most Americans are distracted from what matters. Some ignorantly so, but sadly so many others willfully so.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
While these things are true, Trump shows an enormous lack of tact by attacking McCain's military service and heroism. That stuff is unquestioned, and what he went through makes anything Trump has done pale by comparison. Trump is a con artist and while some of his statements ring true and bring focus to very real problems with our society, he is no more trustworthy to deal with them than Obama is.

I'm just not a fan. So many others are far more capable and worthy of the office. But I agree with you that the media and most Americans are distracted from what matters. Some ignorantly so, but sadly so many others willfully so.
I agree totally with what you say. I'm happy he brought the issues to the attention of those who believe the talking points on the 6 o'clock news and never bother to get the facts.
Trump is a leftist. His lack of tact is notorious but he cannot be bought or threatened. It is refreshing to see someone stand up for Americans.
The "Republican" attacks anger me more than those from progressives. If they are not controlled he may move to run third party. If that happens we probably get President Hillary. Lord, help us.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've laid off the Trump thread for numerous reasons. He's flip flopped between GOP and Dem, which just goes to show me that it really doesn't matter what party is in power, the rich will get richer. I think he's just a diversion for one reason or another and nothing substantial will be accomplished with him or others in the race.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's another interesting comparison: Trump and Obama. You'll have a chuckle or two as well.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421403/obamas-inner-trump

Would a Trump bragging tour be all that much different from an Obama apology tour? If, in politically incorrect style, it is implied that all immigrants are likely to be criminals, is that any sloppier or more politically motivated than the politically correct assumption that all are dreamers? Threatening to charge Mexico per illegal immigrant seems about as sensible as leaving the border wide open and nullifying existing immigration law.

There is no need to elect Donald Trump; we’ve already had six years of him.
The quoted text is only a sample of many comparisons made in the article.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Haha. Good read. They are both huge egos who love the sound of their own voices, completely ignorant of the contempt others have for them. The only friends and associates around them nod at every whim.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
While I may agree with quite a few things that Trump says, He is dead wrong on John McCain. McCain joined the Navy (not drafted), piloted numerous combat missions, spent about 6 years in a inhumane North Vietnamese POW prison. He refused a privileged early release when his fellow POWs would not also be released. (Can anyone imagine Trump turning down any type of special privilege?). Afterwards McCain served his country pretty faithfully as a Senator. I think it is disgusting when folks insult someone's service, patriotism and honor just because of political differences. (Remember Trump started all this...McCain had nothing to do with it.) Trump needs to man-up and apologize to the troops and then move on with his campaign.

Also....I didn't support John Kerry, but I thought it was terrible that some Republicans tried to discredit his service in Vietnam.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
While I may agree with quite a few things that Trump says, He is dead wrong on John McCain. McCain joined the Navy (not drafted), piloted numerous combat missions, spent about 6 years in a inhumane North Vietnamese POW prison. He refused a privileged early release when his fellow POWs would not also be released. (Can anyone imagine Trump turning down any type of special privilege?). Afterwards McCain served his country pretty faithfully as a Senator. I think it is disgusting when folks insult someone's service, patriotism and honor just because of political differences. (Remember Trump started all this...McCain had nothing to do with it.) Trump needs to man-up and apologize to the troops and then move on with his campaign.

Also....I didn't support John Kerry, but I thought it was terrible that some Republicans tried to discredit his service in Vietnam.
I am not sure I would say that McCain has served faithfully as a senator. One of the biggest scandals involving the VA is right in his backyard in Phoenix. He has said quite a number of things but has never done anything.

I think what prompted Trump's comments were McCain's comment calling people "Crazies" for wanting action taken on illegal and legal immigration.... That is not the first time McCain has blown off from the mouth towards conservatives in an attempt to endear himself to the left leaning media in this country.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well to be fair, Kerry was like Rommney. They both didnt have a platform, and where both just disagreeing with what the incumbant said as their plan to get into office. Also in 2004 we were invoived in two conflicts, and Operation Iraqi Freedom was starting to become a very controversial event due to us not finding WMDs. The Democrats were pushing Kerry's service as their primary means to attack in order to say Kerry was familiar with how wars should be handled, and they were also attacking Bush's military service as well. So right or wrong both sides where attacking the military service issue.

As for Trump .... are you really that suprised? Trump's main goal is to prove that the GOP is weak, and to convince everyone he is the second comings of Ronald Reagen and FDR. The problem is nationalism is dead, and the American toughness is waining as well so strong bravado is not going to be enough to get nominated. Plus when you analyze his pledges and promises, you realize that less than 1% of the things he promises can be acheived. Personally I view Trump as a WWE wrestler running for president. You know he is fake, but you only watch him to be entertained. Atleast Trump makes it somewhat intresting unlike Kerry,Rommney, and McCain who were just happy to be there on election day. Gore vs Bush was the last entertaining election. I highly doubt Trump gets the GOP nomination but he will make it entertaining.IMO

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some folks here are confusing McCain and Kerry and pretending there's a nonexistent equivalence. While I did think Kerry was the best of the Democratic choices in 2004 (which is hardly saying anything at all), but let's understand a few differences here:

1) McCain DID NOT campaign as "a war hero" in 2000 or for that matter 2008; Kerry DID in 2004.

McCain, in fact, was more upset and confessed to his own personal "weakness" under torture. He never tried to suggest that he was the Second Coming of Teddy Roosevelt or Useless S Grant or Eisenhower. Kerry, on the other hand, said "Vietnam" so often that I honestly thought it was his middle name. My goodness, when he showed up to address the Convention that night he barked, "John Kerry reporting for duty." So there was a complete difference in how these two guys handled their military service and it's the next thing that caused Kerry even bigger problems....

2) Kerry REFUSED to release his military records

Kerry's records were not released until June 2005. Had he released these in 2003 - before the campaign got hot - then I seriously doubt the Swift Boat thing would have ever gained traction. (I also think - to be quite frank about it - that the Swift Boat thing was so minor in the larger picture that it was one more mark against Kerry but it did not determine the election).

The problem, though, is that Kerry was running as a "war hero" but for some reason came across as having something to hide about his military service. This left him vulnerable to "well we served with him and he wasn't any good at all and certainly not a hero." (I'm also amused by how many Democrats tried this argument but conveniently ignored it when it came to Bush in 92 and Dole in 96 against a Draft dodger).

There is simply no comparison of the two. About the only thing they have in common is that both are politicians who ran for President who served in the Navy during the Vietnam War. One was a POW for five years and the other came home and turned AGAINST the war and then tried to turn back and campaign as a war hero. Kerry was hurt far more by his slithery position than by anything the Swift Boat Vets did to him.

And btw - being a POW does not give you immunity from the positions you take in Congress. Jeremiah Denton was undone by his reputation for forgetting the home folks when he got to Washington and another remark that suggested he had not exactly evolved on women's rights.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
NBC/Marist Polls Show Donald Trump Running Strong in Iowa, NH

Donald Trump is running strong in the early nominating states of Iowa and New Hampshire, according to two new NBC News-Marist polls.

Trump leads the Republican presidential field in New Hampshire, getting support from 21 percent of potential GOP primary voters. He's followed by Jeb Bush at 14 percent, Scott Walker at 12 percent and John Kasich at 7 percent.

Chris Christie and Ben Carson are tied at 6 percent in the Granite State, and Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are at 5 percent each.

In Iowa, Walker and Trump are in the Top 2 - with Walker at 19 percent among potential Republican caucus-goers and Trump at 17 percent. They're followed by Bush at 12 percent, Carson at 8 percent, Mike Huckabee at 7 percent and Rand Paul at 5 percent.

The polls were conducted July 14-21 - so before and after Trump's controversial comments belittling John McCain's war record on July 18. And they suggest the comments didn't affect Trump in Iowa (he was at 16 percent before the comments and 18 percent after), but they did hurt him in New Hampshire (26 percent before, 14 percent after).
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pre...w-donald-trump-running-strong-iowa-nh-n398401

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: NBC/Marist Polls Show Donald Trump Running Strong in Iowa, NH

Reviving the Trump thread since he is still leading all candidates and changes are happening on the Dem's side.....

Will start off with this:

=========

Trump: It'll Be Me v. Biden, 'Cause Hillary's Going Down

Donald Trump said this week he thinks he'll face Vice President Joe Biden in the general election for president next year.

Trump talked with Breitbart and said the email scandal enveloping Hillary Clinton's campaign will ultimately force her out of the race, making way for Biden to win the Democratic primary and square off with Trump, a Republican, in 2016.

"I think so," Trump told Breitbart when asked if he sees himself pitted against Biden in 2016.

"I think Hillary has got huge problems right now," Trump said.

"Is she going to make it? I hear this thing is big league. Why did she do it? You use the server? Because [the Clintons are] always looking to go over the edge, whether it's Whitewater or anything else. They always want to go over the edge.

"I'm just looking at it saying, 'What the hell was she doing? You know what she was doing? She was guarding from the president seeing what she doing."

Trump thinks the email fiasco will spell the end of Clinton's presidential hopes.

LINK

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: NBC/Marist Polls Show Donald Trump Running Strong in Iowa, NH

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Biden enter it to try to save the party after HC crashes and burns over the email fiasco but I still wonder if Trump has the staying power.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.