Trump's comments - NBC and Univision reaction

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: NBC/Marist Polls Show Donald Trump Running Strong in Iowa, NH

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Biden enter it to try to save the party after HC crashes and burns over the email fiasco but I still wonder if Trump has the staying power.
I will be really surprised if Hillary will crash and burn (polling-wise). i will be surprised if the media will allow this to happen. It is her turn, after all.

Biden has that "bubba from next door" thing going for him. He's no rocket surgeon, but he is, I believe, much more approachable than Nurse Ratchet.

Trump vs. Biden would probably not be the greatest intellectual contest ever.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I will be really surprised if Hillary will crash and burn (polling-wise). i will be surprised if the media will allow this to happen. It is her turn, after all.

Many people said the exact same thing in 2008

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Many people said the exact same thing in 2008
True, but the imperative of "time for a woman in the White House" got trumped by the "time for an African-American in the White House."
It's not like Obama had an incredibly impressive resume in 2008, but the media just got that "tingly feeling running up the leg" and were in the tank for him.
Heck, even Saturday Night Live could see what was going on. and did a skit about how the media would ask difficult questions of Hillary and toss softballs down the middle of the plate for Obama.
[video]https://screen.yahoo.com/amy-poehler-snl-skits/democratic-debate-000000559.html[/video]

The Democrats might be able to scrounge up a handicapped Hispanic lesbian to get the same level of media fawning, but I don't see one waiting in the Democrat wings. If HC drops, then they're stuck with Bernie, Biden, O'Malley or Gore: all white guys.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Biden has that "bubba from next door" thing going for him. He's no rocket surgeon, but he is, I believe, much more approachable than Nurse Ratchet.

Trump vs. Biden would probably not be the greatest intellectual contest ever.
And the only reason Joe Biden was chosen for VP is that it was "his turn".
Choosing it's leadership within the party based on one's ''turn'' seems to be a dangerous trait among the Democrats.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Choosing it's leadership within the party based on one's ''turn'' seems to be a dangerous trait among the Democrats.
Dangerous for the Republicans, too. This thinking gave them Bob Dole, John McCain, and to an extent, Mitt Romney. None were resounding successes.
The Democrats don't have many good options. Bernie is pretty far left, even for the Democrats.
O'Malley is a good-looking guy, but an unknown.
Biden is a bubba, prone to inserting his foot into his mouth.
Gore is, literally, a loser.
Unless Hillary is indicted (and members of the ruling class do not get indicted), I think they will keep Hillary and execute a CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) with her.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Dangerous for the Republicans, too. This thinking gave them Bob Dole, John McCain, and to an extent, Mitt Romney. None were resounding successes.
The Democrats don't have many good options. Bernie is pretty far left, even for the Democrats.
O'Malley is a good-looking guy, but an unknown.
Biden is a bubba, prone to inserting his foot into his mouth.
Gore is, literally, a loser.
Unless Hillary is indicted (and members of the ruling class do not get indicted), I think they will keep Hillary and execute a CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) with her.
I think the email thing will sink her

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I think the email thing will sink her
You may be right. I wouldn't underestimate the Clinton machine. They are good at what they do.

If the party does dump Hillary, who do you think will be the heir apparent?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

You may be right. I wouldn't underestimate the Clinton machine. They are good at what they do.

If the party does dump Hillary, who do you think will be the heir apparent?
My best guess is that Biden will swoop in as the white knight to "save the party". I don't think Bernie is electable nationally and O'Malley and Webb have gained practicably zero support so far.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

My best guess is that Biden will swoop in as the white knight to "save the party". I don't think Bernie is electable nationally and O'Malley and Webb have gained practicably zero support so far.
I had forgotten about Webb. I actually like him. In an election between Trump and Webb, I'd definitely vote for Webb.
But you are correct. He has not gotten much traction/name recognition.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

It's more likely that the Dems will see that Hillary is no longer electable and not want to nominate any other candidate., They may then try to rescind the 22nd Amendment so they can let Obama run again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Say WHAT?

???????????????

Biden was chosen because:
a) he wasn't Hillary
b) he wasn't Hillary
c) he wasn't Hillary
d) he is a generally popular enough guy on both sides of the aisle

1960 - it was Nixon's turn
1964 - well, no heir, so Goldwater got it and....
1968 - Nixon primarily chosen because he was the best-known GOP candidate
1976 - Ford chosen because it was his "turn"
1980 - Reagan chosen because it was his "turn"
1988 - Bush chosen because it was his "turn"
1996 - Dole chosen because it was his "turn"
2008 - McCain chosen because it was his "turn"
2012- Romney chosen because Palin and Huckabee didn't run and thus it was his "turn"

Yeah, I see your point about the....Democrats?

1968 - LBJ front-runner, Humphrey nominated
1972 - Muskie front-runner, McGovern nominated
1976 - Kennedy front-runner, didn't run, Carter nominated
1984 - Mondale front-runner, barely survived challenge from Hart
1988 - Hart front-runner, Dukakis nominated
1992 - Cuomo front-runner, didn't run, party upset with no big guns running - Clinton nominated
2000 - Gore front-runner, nominated with minimal challenge from Bradley
2004 - Dean front-runner, Kerry nominated
2008 - Hillary front-runner, Obama nominated

Yeah, I see exactly what you mean...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: Say WHAT?

A few weeks ago if someone said that they thought Trump could get the nomination I would have said they were nuts. Today I'm not so sure. I still think it will be an "establishment" candidate that will get the nomination but I sure wouldn't rule Trump out. Concerning the voters, talk is cheap. It will be interesting to see how they feel when it comes time to actually cast a vote. Its still the silly season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It's more likely that the Dems will see that Hillary is no longer electable and not want to nominate any other candidate., They may then try to rescind the 22nd Amendment so they can let Obama run again.
Any amendment to repeal the 22nd would have to be passed by both houses of Congress AND ratified by 3/4 of the state legislatures. In light of the fact the Republicans own BOTH houses of Congress and BOTH houses of legislature in TWENTY-THREE states......I'd say the chances of this happening are about the same as they are of Sarah Palin getting elected next November. In fact, she has a better chance than any such amendment would.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Say WHAT?

A few weeks ago if someone said that they thought Trump could get the nomination I would have said they were nuts. Today I'm not so sure. I still think it will be an "establishment" candidate that will get the nomination but I sure wouldn't rule Trump out. Concerning the voters, talk is cheap. It will be interesting to see how they feel when it comes time to actually cast a vote. Its still the silly season.
We're a long way off. Furthermore, Trump has hardly undergone the scrutiny that accompanies success. The focus on things that will turn people against him won't really happen until the GOP field dwindles way down, maybe even until after the first contest or two. This happens with all of them - a "fresh face" (admittedly hard to see Trump as such since he's been in the public eye for over three decades) comes on the seen as a "truth teller" and the people respond to his jibes about others (in this case, immigration). Then they find out things he's done that they can apply to themselves and the poll numbers implode. One possible advantage that Trump has that Perot did not have is that since he is IN the party at this point, the guns are not nearly aimed as squarely. Perot had not one but two parties firing shots at him and tearing away his support from both sides. Trump will face this problem if he does, in fact, run as an Indy.

It will not surprise me if they start trying to get the bottom 8-10 Republicans to drop out quickly in order to keep Trump from winning anything early. They may go tell them they "have" to do so for the sake of the party and then promise them either a Cabinet position, ambassadorship, or even the VP slot. If the Democrats had had their way, they would have done this to keep Jimmy Carter from winning in 1976. Carter benefited because 11 guys were running and they all split the liberal activist vote that later nominated Mondale and Dukakis. In fact, his whole strategy was "divide and conquer." Nobody remembers that Carter lost 8 of the final 11 primaries and never - not one single time - ever won a head-to-head match-up against anyone. (This fact was not lost on Ford's strategists, who pointed this out and in only 73 days took Ford from 33 points behind to losing by a total of less than 10,000 votes in Hawaii and Mississippi).

Btw - that's exactly why the Democrats invented the "super delegates" - to prevent that from ever happening again. They came unglued in 1988 as well, when Jesse Jackson won the Illinois (understandable as it was sort of his home base) and Michigan. Jackson got all the black vote while the white vote was split between Dukakis, Gore, Gephardt, and Simon. Dukakis, in fact, won mostly because Gore and Gephardt split the moderate to conservative votes, he got the white liberals and Jackson got the blacks.

The moment Jesse was head to head with Dukakis, he got waxed seven straight weeks and it was never really closer than 2-1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.