Trump's comments - NBC and Univision reaction

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Saw on the news last night Trump said some negative things about the illegals coming across the border.

Got me thinking....I never personally met an illegal alien. I have met many who came across legally......but not illegally.

Could he be right?

Isn't personal experience the only real way of knowing?

I'm just asking......it seems like something many will jump on with an opinion but realistically......how would anyone know unless through personal experience?

Thoughts?

=========

EDIT: More detail:

Trump announced he is running for president two weeks ago in a rambling kick-off speech that included his plans to control illegal immigration: He said he would build a "great wall" and make Mexico pay for it because Mexico is "sending" people who are rapists, drug dealers and criminals, and a few "good people," too.

This proved too much for the leading Spanish-language network, Univision, which serves millions of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the USA, and had a contract with the Miss Universe organization (Trump is a part-owner) to air the Miss USA pageant on July 12 in Spanish.

But the network declared that Trump's rhetoric about Mexicans (he did not mention other Latino groups or the Canadian border, for instance) was insulting and offensive.

LINK

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
While Trump is generally a boob, I find myself being amused at the panty-wadded histrionics of the left over his comments. I suspect that many salt-of-the-Earth American citizens agree with him that the porous border should be secured.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The Cubans did, in fact, unload their, shall we say, less than completely desirable citizens on the US in the 1970s.
I do not believe that that Mexican government has any deliberate policy of unloading on the US folks they do not want, just a very permissive attitude about folks entering the US illegally.

Last edited:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Most people can't handle the truth being put so bluntly. I don't necessarily like Trump or agree with his ways...but he's just stating some truths that most politicians are afraid to say.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Without immigration, legal and illegal, we would be in the same straitjacket that Japan and Germany are in - shrinking, aging workforce and many unwilling to do the jobs the illegals/legals do. Just something to think about, other than rhetoric. This is a nation of immigrants - almost all of us. Shut it off entirely (or choke it down to the level of most politicians' favorite stump speeches), and IMO, we strangle. Flames invited... :D

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Donald Trump Files $500 million lawsuit against Univision.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/business...st-univision/?intcmp=bigtopmarketfeaturesside

I think Mr. Trump is brash and clumsy but the 1st Amendment guarantees his right to say what he wants. NBC has a double standard in that regard or they would not have hired Al Sharpton. Trump hit upon certain truths that do not support their leftist slant so they reacted in the typical manner, attempting to silence opposition that may shed light on some of the problems our country is facing because of the disregard of our immigration laws by The Obama Administration.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's what's stupid about the whole thing - Trump is running for President. Look, a private citizen can say the stuff he wants. Heck, he can even THINK it if he wishes. But a President regardless of party has to come across as a conciliatory, calm, and understanding leader. It's not that I think Barry Goldwater even had a prayer in 1964 - but even reading his comments fifty years later make me shake my head in almost utter disbelief because Goldwater had a string of insane comments:

"Let's lob one into the men's room of the Kremlin"

"We ought to sell off the TVA"

"The fact is that most people who have no skills have no education for the same reason - low intelligence or ambition."

"Sometimes I think this country would be better off it we could just saw off the Eastern Seaboard and let it float out to sea."

"Government can't stop depressions, it only starts them."

"Maybe ten years ago we should have dropped a low-yield atom bomb on North Vietnam to defoliate the trees"

It's not that a private citizen can't AGREE with it - it's that a President who says this publicly is out of his cotton picking mind. Goldwater also advocated NATO commanders having control of the nuclear weaponry.

And this is what will happen to Trump. His game show "you're fired" garbage is entertaining - he's not in the entertainment business now (although I confess he'd make a great candidate for governor of California with some of his wild-eyed comments).

It doesn't matter if it's true - you can't say it. Not when you're trying to be the world's leading diplomat.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
TV alert:

(not worthy of a new thread)

On Jeopardy right now a University of Alabama grad (Brandon). Is doing pretty good to. He was leading by a LOT until the Asian guy got the last 3 clues on the Cooking category right....

Now in Double Jep.....

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
"Trump is running for President. Look, a private citizen can say the stuff he wants. Heck, he can even THINK it if he wishes. But a President regardless of party has to come across as a conciliatory, calm, and understanding leader."

I agree but that's why we have primaries leading into elections. If you don't think the candidate comes across like a POTUS should, don't vote for him. I do like the fact that he brings controversial subjects out for discussion but I won't vote for Trump. NBC should not try to influence the choices made by the America public. This is what it seems to me they are doing. Univision serves Spanish speaking and other Latin Americans so I can almost understand their move, even though I disagree with it too.
We should stop running from problems and differences and discuss them.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Without immigration, legal and illegal, we would be in the same straitjacket that Japan and Germany are in - shrinking, aging workforce and many unwilling to do the jobs the illegals/legals do. Just something to think about, other than rhetoric. This is a nation of immigrants - almost all of us. Shut it off entirely (or choke it down to the level of most politicians' favorite stump speeches), and IMO, we strangle. Flames invited... :D
When you speak the truth you will get no flames. All you have to do is ride by a new construction site or observe lawn care workers and you can tell real fast who isn't willing to do that type work.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
TV alert:

(not worthy of a new thread)

On Jeopardy right now a University of Alabama grad (Brandon). Is doing pretty good to. He was leading by a LOT until the Asian guy got the last 3 clues on the Cooking category right....

Now in Double Jep.....

FYI: Brandon smashed the comp. so we'll see him again tomorrow.

Now back to the Trump comments thread.....

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Bazza, if I remember correctly there is direct and indirect experience/knowledge. You can gain experience through personal interaction with the world around you or you can gain experience indirectly through the knowledge of others. I didn't personally experience the events leading up to the Civil War but by reading Tidewater's posts, reading books, watching the Ken Burns documentary i have some experience and knowledge.

I would imagine that The Donald's experiences are indirect. In his rarified wealthy environs, he probably does not have personal experience and social interaction with the people he spoke about except when they carry his bags up to the penthouse. Maybe he gets his info from Alex Jones or wnd.com

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Trump is just stirring the populist pot. NBC or Univision are not restrained by the 1st Amendment in relation to Mr Trump, who could have said this a completely different way and still come off presidential, even if populist rhetoric.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
When you speak the truth you will get no flames. All you have to do is ride by a new construction site or observe lawn care workers and you can tell real fast who isn't willing to do that type work.
A little truth for your thoughts. We ran a residential construction company for over 30 years. Employed many. The influx of cheap illegal labor put us out of business. Mostly Guatemalans and Mexicans. We know many others who are not working and never counted in the rosy picture painted by the dishonest government stats. Self employed contractors are not eligible for benefits. It isn't just construction, landscape labor and yard maintenance workers are replaced too. Is it true some Americans won't do that work? Sure but don't generalize, some of us made a living once but are now living on retirement early, hoping it lasts. Every time I hear that illegals do the jobs Americans won't, I get angry. If it hasn't changed your life you don't know what you are talking about.
Our own government has allowed law breaking to hurt Americans in more ways than you realize. But you will.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree but that's why we have primaries leading into elections. If you don't think the candidate comes across like a POTUS should, don't vote for him. I do like the fact that he brings controversial subjects out for discussion but I won't vote for Trump. NBC should not try to influence the choices made by the America public. This is what it seems to me they are doing. Univision serves Spanish speaking and other Latin Americans so I can almost understand their move, even though I disagree with it too.
We should stop running from problems and differences and discuss them.
Anyone who trusts a network who has shown no restraint in doctoring a tape of George Zimmerman and blowing up a GM truck to demonstrate something that wasn't true - well, what else is there to say?

As far as the primaries - they're a joke. The PRESS tells us how to interpret the results and which states are important.

In 1984 there was a Super Tuesday where Gary Hart won 3 of 5 primaries, including Florida - the press treated it as though Mondale had succeeded. Hart later won EIGHT of the last ten primaries, several by landslides......and the press treated it as Mondale winning.

In 1992, there was one day where Tsongas won FOUR of six primaries across the nation, proving himself a NATIONAL candidate. Clinton won one (Georgia) and I believe Jerry Brown upset Tsongas in the other (Colorado I think). The press spun it as Clinton was the candidate on the move.

In 1996, Pat Buchanan won New Hampshire after nearly winning Iowa......and the press informed us Dole had it in the bag.

In 2000, they created a nonexistent race between Bush and McCain. McCain was never a threat to win the nomination even though he won NH by something like 20 points.

In 2004, it was the PRESS that destroyed Howard Dean. I'm sorry, but there was no difference whatsoever in Dean's screaming in a bad Chris Farley impression and Al Gore as a faux Southern preacher in a black church (particularly when Gore was claiming his Dad, who voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act had lost his career because he voted FOR it).

I sat there the night of February 5, 2008 figuring Obama, who won 14 primaries, was toast. And I think if the press had not liked him, he would have been. The REAL story was "Obama has taken the lead and beaten Clinton" - but that's one of the few times they got it right.

Trump is a joke.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
It was not my intent to make you angry or be critical of any profession. If I have I sincerely apologize.
Thank you. It is easy to judge when we don't have all the facts. Things are not usually how the government portrays them. I have made the same mistake many times. I appreciate you apology.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.