Colin Cowherd Tried to Interview Jim Harbaugh Today; It Didn't Go Very Well

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wow, that was painful...

Would be interested to know if Harbaugh was being difficult on purpose - perhaps something personal w Cowherd, or whether that was just him...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow, that was painful...

Would be interested to know if Harbaugh was being difficult on purpose - perhaps something personal w Cowherd, or whether that was just him...
I'm curious too. But either way, it's stupid.

You have a chance to market your program to a national audience. You're trying to upgrade your talent and calm a fan base frayed by years of turmoil. You're getting softball questions designed for you to do that. And instead of taking full advantage, you show your hindquarters to millions?

What a wasted opportunity, and what a PR blunder.

Contrast that to Nick Saban. I don't think any of us would characterize him as a nice guy. But he'd never act like a jerk in front of an audience of millions.

Part of that is its a chance to market to recruits and the fan base. Part of it is he recognizes his position as the public face of the University.

Saban might or might not go on the show. But he would never agree to go on, then be a total orifice.

I can't believe I'm about to write these words, but Harbaugh actually made me feel bad for Colin Cowherd. ***choke, choke, gasp***

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of you have quite the selective amnesia to put it mildly:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2007/04/sis_mandel_saba.html

SI.com writer Stewart Mandel after a scrimmage, Mandel wrote in his column:

“New Alabama coach Nick Saban doesn’t have time for you. Or me. Or anyone that’s not one of the 85 or so football players he’s trying to turn into champions (or the prospective recruits he’d like to add to those 85). Thus, he treats the rest of his world — assistants, support staff, the media — accordingly.

“During a two-day visit to Alabama last week, I watched college football’s first $4 million man patronize his team’s beat writers throughout a 10-minute press conference, dress down a school official (“I don’t have time for this s—,” he barked) and blow off our pre-arranged interview.

“I left town certain of two things: That Nick Saban is every bit the jerk he’s made out to be — and that he’s exactly what the doctor ordered for the Alabama football program.”

=======================

Saban simply wouldn't agree to sit down with whomever so this didn't happen. Oh and I'm sure we all remember the fallout from this one (the 9-11 comments that brought down a hail of criticism)

This came after several months and a tiny bit of success followed by an implosion at the end of a season. The lovable, quotable Nick Saban has only emerged AFTER winning a BUNCH of big games and spending time in the limelight getting used to it. Harbaugh hasn't done that yet.

However, I do agree that Harbaugh came across as the bigger jerk here, and I'm a guy who can't stand Cowherd and thinks Harbaugh is one of the top ten coaches in college ball already based on what he did at Stanford.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
He had zero interest in doing that interview and you could tell from the jump. Came off as an a@#$. Also, I found it funny that he actually thought that Colin was referring to playing the Big Ten the equivalent to having a bye week, and he still didn't have much for him. Embarrassing for Harbaugh.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Harbaugh appears to be in the Tennessee/USC Kiffen mold. A (shirtless) loose cannon. Get attention no matter how you do it.
Didn't strike me that way at all. Struck me as "don't really want to be here."

Look, there's some simple truths here - if you WIN the title then you can be the most aloof and bumpkinesque guy and it doesn't matter. Look at Bill Belichick for Pete's sake. Bill Walsh wasn't much of a quotable guy but he was a damned good football coach. Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry, even Don Shula - not overly fun guys to varying degrees. Yeah, you can show me the occasional Bill Parcells or Les Miles - although I think the evidence in BOTH cases shows those guys won because of OTHER people (Belichick with Parcells and Miles with Saban's recruits).

When Chuck Noll was winning four Super Bowls the press loved him. The moment he became an 8-8 coach, they were suddenly willing to report what a jerk he was (for those who don't recall, Noll had ongoing feuds with division rivals Sam Wyche and Jerry Glanville among others - the moment he wasn't beating their teams, Noll was a huge jerk who refused to shake hands with his conquerors).

For better or worse, I just don't think Harbaugh wanted to be there. And as much as I don't care for CC, he not only did a good interview but he also bailed the coach out with the cutoff AND continued to praise Harbaugh. Winning DOES change everything, like it or not. Urban Meyer only came under scrutiny from the press when he began losing a bunch of games in 2010. Prior to that it was "he's a great coach." Now he's back to being "great coach," but if Ohio State has consecutive four-loss seasons and a bunch of players arrested - guess what?

This too will pass on Harbaugh, and while I'm no Big Ten fan I look forward to the clash between his team and Meyer's. They may have a situation annually where one is knocking the other out of the title game (and ironically in some years INTO the Rose Bowl).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.