Your College Football Team's Brand (SI Article)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Very, very cool piece here. As a branding expert and Bama fan, I think their description of Bama is spot on. I didn't read any of the others yet. Will later on.

Click me

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks, that is interesting stuff. I agree with Bama's write up. Nothing should change.
I found it funny that LSU is more identifiable by Les eating grass and being a "freak" than the team itself.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Thanks for the link. Not sure I agree with this part:

...relatively simple offensive and defensive schemes...
It seems like we always hear how complex and difficult our defensive scheme is to learn. And, compared to lots of spread offenses, I believe our offense is much more sophisticated as far as where to deliver the ball.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thanks for the link. Not sure I agree with this part:

It seems like we always hear how complex and difficult our defensive scheme is to learn. And, compared to lots of spread offenses, I believe our offense is much more sophisticated as far as where to deliver the ball.
It really is. Ironically, he probably thinks the Malzahn offense is complicated when it is anything but.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He flat out says OSU is the best. Then he says Alabama shouldn't change a thing? Why wouldn't we want change for the better? :conf2: I'm nitpicking, I know, but that sort of doesn't make sense.
When it comes to the brand, I agree with him that Alabama shouldn't change a thing. Not sure why he mixed in recent success on the field with branding. Sure, the two are connected, but the brand helps to create success on the field and Alabama has been more true to its brand than we have over the years and is also the most successful program in the history of the sport, and that is part of your brand.

At this point a change by Alabama would only help the rest of the college football world, IMO.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
To clarify, it says OSU is the best right now. They are reigning champs, have a name brand coach, a proud history and tradition, recent success on the field (38-3 over 3 seasons with CUM it points out), and will forever be the 1st ever CFP winner. Note that FSU comments--and FSU is essentialy OSU 1 year removed from a title with less history and more noteriety--aren't quite as glowing. Should OSU have a 2-4 loss season and this gets rewritten next year, the OSU comments would likely reflect that.

Alabama is where everyone wants to be--even OSU. Long term, sustained success, the most revered coach in the game, and all of the history and pageantry you could ask for and the writers comments reflect that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.