Can a man be married to ONE man and ONE woman at the same time? Legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I know polygamy is illegal -- but Polygamy is when a man is married to multiple women. Or, when a woman is married to multiple men.... but what if you have one of each? Are there any legal reasons that that can't happen?

I've done some initial research and can't find any reason why that couldn't happen. The woman isn't married to both, and the three aren't combined into one union -- but the man is.....married to one man and one woman.....

Hmmmmm......

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I know polygamy is illegal -- but Polygamy is when a man is married to multiple women. Or, when a woman is married to multiple men.... but what if you have one of each? Are there any legal reasons that that can't happen?

I've done some initial research and can't find any reason why that couldn't happen. The woman isn't married to both, and the three aren't combined into one union -- but the man is.....married to one man and one woman.....

Hmmmmm......

And one goat, and one dog, one horse, one cow.......

A long time ago I asked a simple question: "Where does it end?" Well???

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Hmmmmm......
I'm afraid the laws are going to be construed to mean one "spouse" at a time. BTW, when a female has multiple husbands, it's "polyandry." That's what the Chinese will be forced to in a few years...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If China still does, and will, have the "one child" law still in effect, their DNA testing labs are going to have their hands full!
Their DNA tests already show they are all descendants of Genghis Khan. Hell, with my percentage of NA/east Asian DNA (they can't really tell the difference), I may be a descendant of his also...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Their DNA tests already show they are all descendants of Genghis Khan. Hell, with my percentage of NA/east Asian DNA (they can't really tell the difference), I may be a descendant of his also...
And I'm not even going there...:biggrin:

The point I was trying to make was once a woman has one child, what would be the purpose behind her entering into polyandrous marriages?
Further, if she had the child after entering into such relationships, would all her 'husbands' be fighting for or against being named "Daddy"?

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And I'm not even going there...:biggrin:

The point I was trying to make was once a woman has one child, what would be the purpose behind her entering into polyandrous marriages?
Further, if she had the child after entering into such relationships, would all her 'husbands' be fighting for or against being named "Daddy"?
Well, one reason would be economic. The more men providing for her, the better for her. I think that, by the time they're to that point, "one child" will be gone. They'll work out the "daddy" issue. They're good at that...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Hmmmmm......
Well, this whole thing does seem to suddenly make everyone backtrack on the words "marriage equality" since we're now saying the Bs in the LGBT don't qualify for equality.

Or something like that. (And it's half blue font because I think where this will eventually head is nothing short of hilarious).

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Cajun here is the Alabama Statue:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/13A/13/13A-13-1

(a) A person commits bigamy when he intentionally contracts or purports to contract a marriage with another person when he has a living spouse. A person who contracts a marriage outside this state, which would be bigamous if contracted in this state, commits bigamy by cohabiting in the state with the other party to such a marriage. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/13A/13/13A-13-1#sthash.m5CktEj8.dpuf

This should also prevent polygamy it seems to me.

I think in Louisiana, a person can marry another person and a swamp dweller like a Nutria but I'm a little fuzzy on that.:)

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
It seems to me that the media and politicians are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do.
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..."
Look at all this stuff America... gay marriage, confederate flags, transgenders, and on and on. Pay no attention to the economy, the Federal reserve, the US Foreign Policy, the lack of compromise in the congress, and on and on...
Come on folks. You are being intentionally focussed on the wrong issues!
Focus on football :)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.