Link: Kirby Smart Reflects on Ohio State Loss

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Weird. My number came from the NCAA website. Rolltide.com says Bama gave up 328 yards.

Thank you for adding context to my post. Even with all the frustrations the Bama defense gives us, it's still one of the best in today's college football world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I won't argue the numbers (and as I said - not a substantial difference) but that's why I put up the link.

Btw - Auburn had a TERRIBLE defense last year (75th in ypg, 71st in ppg).

In fact, look at these numbers after the Barn started 5-0:

MSU - 38
S Carolina - 35
Ole Miss - 31 (and less than a foot from being 38)
Texas A/M - 41
UGA - 34
Alabama - 55
Wisconsin - 34

Their lone great game was against overmatched Samford U. In their final 7 games against top flight competition, Auburn gave up an AVERAGE of 38.2 ppg and had a record of 2-5 that should have been 1-6 (again, the Ole Miss lucky injury).

Their new DC gave up 22.7 ppg at Florida as HC (27th) and 344 ypg (17th) against the #26 schedule. To be fair, Auburn DID play the #1 ranked schedule according to Sorenson (seven opponents won nine or more games and only ONE opponent - San Jose St - had a record of LESS than 7 wins).

Remember, however, that Florida (7-5) lost THREE GAMES by five points or less. In other words, they were three plays from being 10-2 (though they would not have won the East since they lost to Missouri head-to-head).

McElwain is not taking over a bad team by any stretch of the imagination.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not to argue with you but what I'm looking up says we gave up 337 yards per game (not a substantial difference).

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game

Furthermore, statistics don't show everything. Look at who had better defenses than we did based on ypg. Their Sorenson SOS is on the right

Penn St (278.7, 7-6), 57
Clemson (278.8, 10-3), 52
Stanford (296.3, 8-5), 31
Wisconsin (304.2, 11-3), 41
UCF (309, 9-4), 96
Michigan (311.3, 5-7), 30
Louisville (311.8, 9-4), 59
Michigan St (321.8, 11-2), 42
LSU (326.1, 8-5), 9
Arkansas (330.2, 7-6), 8
Ohio State (333.4, 14-1), 15
San Diego St (335.2, 7-6), 112
Alabama (337, 12-2), 4

Taken IN CONTEXT, our defense was NOT all that bad on the year. Twelve teams gave up fewer yards per game than we did and only two - LSU and Arkansas, BOTH of whom we beat - played a schedule anywhere near as tough as ours (in no way to impugn the deserving Buckeyes but their SoS got drastically lifted by their final three games). LSU was 11 yards better per game and Arkansas 7.

but then again, we played AN EXTRA GAME that altered the stats, too. In fact, in our last game we gave up 537 yards to Ohio State which is WAY above our average even counting the Auburn slicing we took.

Incidentally, we ranked FIFTH in scoring defense, giving up an average of 18.8 ppg. Who was ahead of us?

1) Ole Miss (who got trounced in their last game, 42-3)
2) Clemson
3) Stanford
4) Penn St

Then remember that NONE of the teams above us played AN EXTRA GAME.

In the context of the current climate of CFB, we are NOT "a bad defense." And let me reiterate something I keep having to say:

THE 2011 ALABAMA DEFENSE IS NOT THE NEW NORMAL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL; IT IS QUITE SIMPLY THE GREATEST COLLEGE DEFENSE EVER ASSEMBLED.

Tattoo that on your brain folks - that's a lot of what is bringing some of the discouragement.
Very good post Selma. While 2011 is still fresh on all of our minds that is not going to happen anytime soon especially in this day and time. I think we will have a very good D this year but statistically it will pale in comparison to 2011.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 2011 defense gets dissed on some websites with the claim that "they didn't play an offense ranked above 73rd." But some context is necessary.

1) Penn State imploded when the Sandusky scandal broke on November 5th (coincidentally the same day we lost to LSU). Penn State is usually good - it isn't our fault their offense was terrible.

2) We held Arkansas to fourteen points. In their other SEC games EXCEPT LSU (17 points) and Alabama (14) plus the bowl game against TOUGH competition Arkansas AVERAGED 38.25 points per game. They got held 24 points below that. That's good, I don't care who you are.

3) Florida got held to ten points. In other SEC/bowl games (again excluding LSU and Alabama), they averaged 22 ppg. They were held TWELVE below average against good opponents.

4) Vandy was shutout. I'll use Vandy for the whole year except Elon in the opener. They averaged 30.2 ppg. We held them THIRTY points below average.

5) Ole Miss had one touchdown against us. In their other games against decent foes (sans us and LSU) they scored 18.5 ppg, meaning we held them ELEVEN points below their average.

6) We held Tennessee to six points. In their other games against decent foes (no Montana, Buffalo, or MTSU), the Vols averaged 17.7 ppg so we held them to ELEVEN points below their average.

7) We held LSU to nine points and about 250 yards in our loss on 11/5. LSU averaged FORTY PPG against decent foes NOT named Alabama. We played them twice and held them to THIRTY-ONE points below average and FORTY points below average.

If you combine LSU's eight-plus quarters on Alabama, their offense that averaged 40 ppg scored 9 total points - and 3 of those were in extra time when they began at the 25-yard line.

8) We held MSU to 7 points. LSU held them to six. Their other decent foes yielded and average of 22.1 ppg. So we held MSU to FIFTEEN points below average.

9) We held Ga Southern to 21 points (but remember that 7 was on a kickoff return). Granted, it is hardly a fair comparison but GSU averaged 36.2 ppg. They scored 41 on Elon and Vandy scored 45 on Elon.....a reasonable argument could be made that GSU could have beaten Vandy. GSU scored 50 on Furman and Florida scored 52.

The point? We still held GSU 15 ppg below average.

10) Auburn had zero offensive points but scored 14. In other games against decent foes (not including LSU or us), Auburn averaged 27.2 ppg. So we held them THIRTEEN below average.

The pundits can say what they want but has there EVER been ANY defense in the history of college football that held EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT to DOUBLE DIGITS below their average? Not just below the average but in every case at least 11 points below. Every great defense is going to have a day when they give up some scores. They'll miss coverages or fall down, it's gonna happen.

Consider 1995 Nebraska, considered by many the greatest team of all-time. Their defense gave up 28 points to Arizona State in a blowout. ASU averaged 29.4, so they got right at what they usually got. Oklahoma St averaged 19 ppg against decent foes and scored 21 - MORE THAN THEIR AVERAGE - on Nebraska.

And none of us would say that Nebraska team was not an excellent team.

What about 1991 Washington? Wazzu averaged 24.3 ppg and scored 21, so even that great Huskies team couldn't do the double digit hold.

It might have happened back pre-1960, which is not even a remotely fair comparison. So yeah, Alabama faced no offense ranked above 73rd. But then again.....might the fact that several of those teams ranked so low because they had to play BOTH ALABAMA AND LSU, whom had elite defenses? The fact those teams all scored at least 11 ppg higher proves that indeed that's exactly why it was. And remember - if you count ALL games (like those junk teams) then it runs the ppg up enough that we probably didn't hold ANY team to LESS than 15 ppg below their average.

2001 Miami? FSU averaged 32.4 ppg and got 27 on Miami, a differential of five points. Pitt scored 21 in a year they averaged 23.3. In fact, THREE other teams held Pitt to fewer points than Miami did.

When I investigate this stuff, I never know what the data is going to show. But in EVERY CASE of everything I've ever looked into about the 2011 defense, the results are absolutely mind-boggling no matter how many times it happens. Chalk it up to the tornado, the coaching, all of it, SOMETHING!!! That team was from another solar system.

Oh and remember something else - we had so many of those games well in hand early that SECOND AND THIRD-STRING defensive players were in for entire halves and yet we still held those teams to way below average. Folks, it is mind-boggling and jaw dropping to put it mildly.

One more stat, this one courtesy of Mike Greenberg the morning after we beat LSU - Alabama NEVER trailed after the first quarter of ANY game that year except the LSU loss......and never trailed post-first quarter until the final play of that game.

Unreal.

EDITED TO ADD:

Ok, I made an honest mistake. Penn St averaged 16.8 ppg and we held them to 11. So there was one opponent we did not do that to. I forgot to do the math at that point in time. It kind of stinks because if we don't give up that TD with the reserves in late (where they made it 11), they fall as well. My bad.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Selma, that Penn St number only strengthens your argument by being the exception that proves the rule. Also, it was the 2nd game of the season in front of 90k Penn St fans.

Bottom line, 2011 Bama was the greatest defense in the history of college football. The loss to LSU really hurt the national reputation of the team. Still we only gave up 9 points and should have won. If we did, the 2011 team might be regarded as the best of all time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also consider that LSU would likely be viewed as the greatest college football team of all time if they had won the BCSCG against Alabama. Look at their schedule and results leading up to that game. Your performance in that game was among the greatest of all time in my opinion.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Also consider that LSU would likely be viewed as the greatest college football team of all time if they had won the BCSCG against Alabama. Look at their schedule and results leading up to that game. Your performance in that game was among the greatest of all time in my opinion.
For sure. I don't think I've ever seen a better team than those two, 2001 Miami included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The 2011 defense gets dissed on some websites with the claim that "they didn't play an offense ranked above 73rd." But some context is necessary.

1) Penn State imploded when the Sandusky scandal broke on November 5th (coincidentally the same day we lost to LSU). Penn State is usually good - it isn't our fault their offense was terrible.

2) We held Arkansas to fourteen points. In their other SEC games EXCEPT LSU (17 points) and Alabama (14) plus the bowl game against TOUGH competition Arkansas AVERAGED 38.25 points per game. They got held 24 points below that. That's good, I don't care who you are.

3) Florida got held to ten points. In other SEC/bowl games (again excluding LSU and Alabama), they averaged 22 ppg. They were held TWELVE below average against good opponents.

4) Vandy was shutout. I'll use Vandy for the whole year except Elon in the opener. They averaged 30.2 ppg. We held them THIRTY points below average.

5) Ole Miss had one touchdown against us. In their other games against decent foes (sans us and LSU) they scored 18.5 ppg, meaning we held them ELEVEN points below their average.

6) We held Tennessee to six points. In their other games against decent foes (no Montana, Buffalo, or MTSU), the Vols averaged 17.7 ppg so we held them to ELEVEN points below their average.

7) We held LSU to nine points and about 250 yards in our loss on 11/5. LSU averaged FORTY PPG against decent foes NOT named Alabama. We played them twice and held them to THIRTY-ONE points below average and FORTY points below average.

If you combine LSU's eight-plus quarters on Alabama, their offense that averaged 40 ppg scored 9 total points - and 3 of those were in extra time when they began at the 25-yard line.

8) We held MSU to 7 points. LSU held them to six. Their other decent foes yielded and average of 22.1 ppg. So we held MSU to FIFTEEN points below average.

9) We held Ga Southern to 21 points (but remember that 7 was on a kickoff return). Granted, it is hardly a fair comparison but GSU averaged 36.2 ppg. They scored 41 on Elon and Vandy scored 45 on Elon.....a reasonable argument could be made that GSU could have beaten Vandy. GSU scored 50 on Furman and Florida scored 52.

The point? We still held GSU 15 ppg below average.

10) Auburn had zero offensive points but scored 14. In other games against decent foes (not including LSU or us), Auburn averaged 27.2 ppg. So we held them THIRTEEN below average.

The pundits can say what they want but has there EVER been ANY defense in the history of college football that held EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT to DOUBLE DIGITS below their average? Not just below the average but in every case at least 11 points below. Every great defense is going to have a day when they give up some scores. They'll miss coverages or fall down, it's gonna happen.

Consider 1995 Nebraska, considered by many the greatest team of all-time. Their defense gave up 28 points to Arizona State in a blowout. ASU averaged 29.4, so they got right at what they usually got. Oklahoma St averaged 19 ppg against decent foes and scored 21 - MORE THAN THEIR AVERAGE - on Nebraska.

And none of us would say that Nebraska team was not an excellent team.

What about 1991 Washington? Wazzu averaged 24.3 ppg and scored 21, so even that great Huskies team couldn't do the double digit hold.

It might have happened back pre-1960, which is not even a remotely fair comparison. So yeah, Alabama faced no offense ranked above 73rd. But then again.....might the fact that several of those teams ranked so low because they had to play BOTH ALABAMA AND LSU, whom had elite defenses? The fact those teams all scored at least 11 ppg higher proves that indeed that's exactly why it was. And remember - if you count ALL games (like those junk teams) then it runs the ppg up enough that we probably didn't hold ANY team to LESS than 15 ppg below their average.

2001 Miami? FSU averaged 32.4 ppg and got 27 on Miami, a differential of five points. Pitt scored 21 in a year they averaged 23.3. In fact, THREE other teams held Pitt to fewer points than Miami did.

When I investigate this stuff, I never know what the data is going to show. But in EVERY CASE of everything I've ever looked into about the 2011 defense, the results are absolutely mind-boggling no matter how many times it happens. Chalk it up to the tornado, the coaching, all of it, SOMETHING!!! That team was from another solar system.

Oh and remember something else - we had so many of those games well in hand early that SECOND AND THIRD-STRING defensive players were in for entire halves and yet we still held those teams to way below average. Folks, it is mind-boggling and jaw dropping to put it mildly.

One more stat, this one courtesy of Mike Greenberg the morning after we beat LSU - Alabama NEVER trailed after the first quarter of ANY game that year except the LSU loss......and never trailed post-first quarter until the final play of that game.

Unreal.

EDITED TO ADD:

Ok, I made an honest mistake. Penn St averaged 16.8 ppg and we held them to 11. So there was one opponent we did not do that to. I forgot to do the math at that point in time. It kind of stinks because if we don't give up that TD with the reserves in late (where they made it 11), they fall as well. My bad.
There's no real reason for anyone to mock or make little of what the 2011 defense did unless the person is either jealous or a rival fan.

Look at this picture UA released last week.

That doesn't show DQ Menzie, Vinnie, Nick Perry or HaHa in the secondary. Nor does it show Nico Johnson, Adrian Hubbard, Xzavier Dickson, or Trey DePriest at linebacker. It doesn't show Ed Stinson or Quinton Dial on the defensive line, either.

All of the players I listed were either drafted or signed undrafted free agent deals with NFL teams. That's an additional 10 players that signed deals with NFL teams.

Attachments

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm proud I got to see that one with my own eyes. It was unbelievable how long we kept them from crossing the 50 and when they finally did it I think we sacked them on the next play for a recovered fumble.

That was a sweet night to walk around NOLA!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're right. Their schedule was absolutely brutal. For those who don't recall - aside from their SEC schedule (which included Florida and SEC East champ UGA in addition to the West) - they also beat two-loss Oregon (40-27, but they led 33-9 with eight minutes left) and the 10-3 West VA team that hung 70 points on Clemson, 47-21.

They played six teams that won ten or more games and went 5-1 and won those games by an average of almost 25 points (which is astounding when you consider they only beat us by 3).

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Just an observation about a team not having much to go on when preparing for a QB who has not received many reps, but that could be a plus against Wisconsin. Even if the Bama QB situation is settled, it would be beneficial to keep that under wraps until game time so Wisconsin can't really focus everything on what one player is capable of doing. Keep them guessing, and have something new for them in addition to Henry off the left side.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.