Link: 1913 Gettysburg reunion...

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
It is your view that most Southerners today are flag-waving racists and that most Southerners have ancestries full of flag-waving, hose-wielding, bomb-throwing racists?

Personally, I don't recall any ancestors in my family tree ever owning a Confederate flag or being racists. My family has historically been too poor to afford either.

Make no mistake, it's not due to racism that the Left so hates the Confederate flag. It's because it represents the authentic American values they despise. A pugnacious resistance to federal authority and unabashed celebration of true independence. This is diametrically opposed to Progressive collectivism.

Until white people get tired of being referred to as racists just for being white, this onslaught against everything in the path of the progressives will continue. The term "racist" is simply the new term for "white".

Once the term "racist" is used by the Left in order to silence an opposing view, everyone immediately caves in as if they have some sort of fear of being called a racist psychosis. It's in dire need of treatment.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
No, he is arguing that his view of what the Confederacy meant is the only valid one and everyone must agree with him as to the meaning of that legacy and therefore, anyone who is not offended by the sight of the Confederate flag or the presence of a Confederate monument must be a racist. That is inherently dishonest.
I disagree with his policy prescriptions precisely because I disagree with him as to the meaning of the Confederate legacy.

You will not hear me say slavery had nothing to do with the Confederacy, nor that the flag had nothing to do with segregationists in the 1950s and 1960s. Some folks were vitally interested in the institution of slavery and some redneck yahoos were waving flags in opposition to racial integration.
I just argue that any event involving millions of people and decades of time is probably too complex to distill down to a bumper-sticker level of simplicity, despite the fact that folks like Loewen would like to do so.
dang, where's that LIKE button!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Personally I think the CSA flag and gay marriage has been talk about, and there isnt much else there can be said. I have not been on Facebook for a week because people on both sides have gone way overboard with the subject.

Im more posting here because of the historical importance of today. It is probably the biggest what if in American Military History. Because in a way you have to wonder what if Jackson was still alive for the battle, what if Lee after the first day took the open road to Philadephia, or what if the South took Little round top on day 1? You have to wonder if the importance the loss at Vicksburg the next day wouldve not affected the south so hard.

As for the 1913 reunion, it really goes to show you that the politcial meanings had little to do with why soldiers fight in any war. It is a good article and good video. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Make no mistake, it's not due to racism that the Left so hates the Confederate flag. It's because it represents the authentic American values they despise. A pugnacious resistance to federal authority and unabashed celebration of true independence. This is diametrically opposed to Progressive collectivism.

Until white people get tired of being referred to as racists just for being white, this onslaught against everything in the path of the progressives will continue. The term "racist" is simply the new term for "white".

Once the term "racist" is used by the Left in order to silence an opposing view, everyone immediately caves in as if they have some sort of fear of being called a racist psychosis. It's in dire need of treatment.
Loewen is one of those academics who is a hard-core leftist-statist. He condemns racism. (I join him in that condemnation.)
He really likes the state.
Putting those two together, it is quite natural he should hate the Confederacy on both counts. He is overtly trying to conflate the two rationales and get those opposed to racism (which is just about everybody) on board the statist bandwagon (which is a much more difficult sell).
Of course, the Confederacy is the most glaring example of a group of citizens who said to the Federal government, "You may go this far, and no farther." As R. B. Rhett said in 1860, "No constitution can enforce itself. Its grants of power will always be enforced by the majority; but its limitations on power, must be enforced by the minority, for whose benefit they were created. But how can a minority enforce a constitution? In but one way – by reason, backed by a stern spirit of resistance." I believe this a significant part of the reason folks like Loewen hate the legacy of the Confederacy and attempt to malign and suppress it. He hates any citizens who stood up to the Federal government.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think the opposite, more people are acknowledging the horrible history that is tied up with the symbolism of the confederate flag and jim crow, segregation, kkk, etc.

you may not like that the symbolism of the confederacy has been "hi-jacked" by those movements over the past 100+ years, but it was.
explain westboro for me, and what is worse a redneck who has a flag because of his heritage or those crazies. the only difference is Westboro made the federal govt look stupid in court. So even if their view of the confederacy and its symbols is what they percieve then what is their justification for Westboro. My point is if you deem people ignorant,hateful, and stupid then give them the same treatment all around, because the leftist are trying to influence change against the CSA flag but ignoring Westboro.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for posting the link and pics. I had read about this surreal reunion but didn't realize it was so well recorded. One of my relatives attended and brought back this souvenir dinner plate commemorating the event:

Oh well it's pretty, trust me.

Last edited:

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
I was at Gettysburg last week with People to People. We had 320 students from around the US. We went into the gift shop prior to the battlefield tour and there was numerous items with the confederate flag displayed throughout the shop. Media outlets from Pittsburg and Philly were there doing a story about the confederate flag. When we returned from our tour every item that had the confederate flag had been removed from the gift shop.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was at Gettysburg last week with People to People. We had 320 students from around the US. We went into the gift shop prior to the battlefield tour and there was numerous items with the confederate flag displayed throughout the shop. Media outlets from Pittsburg and Philly were there doing a story about the confederate flag. When we returned from our tour every item that had the confederate flag had been removed from the gift shop.
Wow! "And so it goes..."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.