What is deeded easement?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I've been looking for property to buy, and I saw one that states "deeded easement to property makes a very private setting. Copy of easement available on request."

What on earth does this mean? In layman terms, please. I've tried googling it, but I'm getting confused. :)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I've been looking for property to buy, and I saw one that states "deeded easement to property makes a very private setting. Copy of easement available on request."

What on earth does this mean? In layman terms, please. I've tried googling it, but I'm getting confused. :)
This site seems to give the best explanation.

Basically, this is the situation:

1. The property is so far back off the road that no part of the property actually connects to a road. You can't get from your house to a road without crossing someone else's property.

2. So you can get an "easement", which is basically permission from someone whose property is adjacent to you, allowing you to, say, build a driveway to connect you to the real world.

3. A DEEDED easement is one that is legally connected to the property in such a way that if the neighbor's property is sold, the new owners cannot legally revoke the easement.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Gotcha. So basically it would be permission for me to be able to drive on their property to get to my house?

This house has ten acres of land and a pond already on the land. It's pretty neat looking from what I saw. I haven't been in the house, but if you look out the front of the house, you see junk and goats. :tongue: Not sure that's what I want to view everyday, but the land is beautiful.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's very hard to guess without seeing the actual instruments. (Bad enough in English - I have to explain documents tomorrow in German.) However, my guess is that JT is correct. The deed to the property will have the easement contained in it. You need to get a lawyer experienced in property law to look at it. Best case is that the exact location and width of the easement is specified. Sadly, it's usually not and that's when the litigation begins and there's a lot of it on easements. Good luck...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Gotcha. So basically it would be permission for me to be able to drive on their property to get to my house?

This house has ten acres of land and a pond already on the land. It's pretty neat looking from what I saw. I haven't been in the house, but if you look out the front of the house, you see junk and goats. :tongue: Not sure that's what I want to view everyday, but the land is beautiful.
Easy solution. Make that the back of the house!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
As Tide-HSV said the width of the easement is important. Sometimes they're wide enough for a horse and buggy but not a Jeep. I like goats and would enjoy looking at them. Junk no.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wouldn't want to live in a place like that, but that's me. Good luck in your home search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

My favorite charity is the Civil War Trust. They buy historically significant land to preserve it. Sometimes, they do not buy the property,only an easement, which, the organization assures donors, means the property cannot be developed without permission of the owners of the easement (i.e. CWT, who will never sell an easement). In other words, the property cannot be turned into strip malls and housing developments. If it is currently farmland, it will stay farmland.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My favorite charity is the Civil War Trust. They buy historically significant land to preserve it. Sometimes, they do not buy the property,only an easement, which, the organization assures donors, means the property cannot be developed without permission of the owners of the easement (i.e. CWT, who will never sell an easement). In other words, the property cannot be turned into strip malls and housing developments. If it is currently farmland, it will stay farmland.
Can an easement be overcome by eminent domain?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I imagine so. Pay no attention to Tidewater. He wants to blame the feds for everything. Eminent domain is usually state and local. Mostly local. Sometimes not even governmental.
That is true. Most of what the Federal government does is patently, deliberately and with malice aforethought unconstitutional, but you are correct, most Eminent Domain cases are in state courts. It is just that state courts tend more to be bound by the Constitutions. The Federal judiciary just does whatever the heck it feels like doing, with no constitutional basis whatsoever, then scans the document for some plausible lie that allegedly authorizes the decision the judge wanted to make in the first place.

And to answer the question directly, I would imagine that a state court could invalidate an easement if using eminent domain.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As Tide-HSV said the width of the easement is important. Sometimes they're wide enough for a horse and buggy but not a Jeep. I like goats and would enjoy looking at them. Junk no.
This is correct. All of the old cases say that the width is that which will allow the passage of a horse and buggy, if not otherwise specified. Not many, other than lawyers, know it, but, if you're landlocked in Alabama, you have a right of private condemnation over your neighbors to the nearest public road. It takes a legal proceeding to do it and, of course, you have to pay market price plus whatever damages your ingress/egress may have cause to the lands you cross...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
This is correct. All of the old cases say that the width is that which will allow the passage of a horse and buggy, if not otherwise specified. Not many, other than lawyers, know it, but, if you're landlocked in Alabama, you have a right of private condemnation over your neighbors to the nearest public road. It takes a legal proceeding to do it and, of course, you have to pay market price plus whatever damages your ingress/egress may have cause to the lands you cross...
That is very interesting. Most people don't realize that private condemnation even exists. Companies can sometimes take your land to expand. This came up in the 1990's when the world's largest pipeline company wanted to come through our neck of the woods. Private condemnation is filed through the local Probate Judge.

Maysville won.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is very interesting. Most people don't realize that private condemnation even exists. Companies can sometimes take your land to expand. This came up in the 1990's when the world's largest pipeline company wanted to come through our neck of the woods. Private condemnation is filed through the local Probate Judge.

Maysville won.
Not surprising. It's called an "easement of necessity." I doubt they could have carried that burden...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Maysville won.
I need to retract my statements partially. I think that public utilities, like gas companies, have their own condemnation statute, independent of the individual "easement of necessity" statute. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I will...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Yeah, I would be concerned about the easement issue after reading these posts. Never know if that would be an issue down the road. Plus not keen on looking at a junk yard all the time. I just need to be patient, and I will find something that will suit me.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Based solely on a couple of loved ones' experiences with landlocked property, I wouldn't fool with it. Notwithstanding easement, right of way, whatever..., it is a problem waiting to happen. A neighbor can and will get a lawyer, causing you to get a lawyer, and even if you "win" the access you knew you had, you've wasted a lot of time and money with lawyers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Based solely on a couple of loved ones' experiences with landlocked property, I wouldn't fool with it. Notwithstanding easement, right of way, whatever..., it is a problem waiting to happen. A neighbor can and will get a lawyer, causing you to get a lawyer, and even if you "win" the access you knew you had, you've wasted a lot of time and money with lawyers.
Can't "like" this presently, but I certainly agree...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.