Link: Touching photo for today...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Don't know whether that was photo-shopped, even so it is touching. We have so many to thank for so much we enjoy. We owe them them whatever it takes to preserve our freedoms. Thanks for sharing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't know whether that was photo-shopped, even so it is touching. We have so many to thank for so much we enjoy. We owe them them whatever it takes to preserve our freedoms. Thanks for sharing.
No, and the story behind it was fascinating. The amateur photog who took it works at the fort and always carries a camera. An agitated crow caught his attention and he followed it to the eagle. (Crows hate hawks and and eagle is just a big hawk to a crow.) If I can find the story again, I'll link it...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
No, and the story behind it was fascinating. The amateur photog who took it works at the fort and always carries a camera. An agitated crow caught his attention and he followed it to the eagle. (Crows hate hawks and and eagle is just a big hawk to a crow.) If I can find the story again, I'll link it...
That's amazing.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
As I said, to a corvid, that's just a big, dumb hawk. Hell, I'm pretty sure they regard us as big, dumb, light-skinned crows... :)
So Mockingbird > Crow > Hawk/Eagle? It always amazes me watching the mockingbirds dive bomb the crows and hawks in the neighborhood. Although I've seen one of the local Peregrines pick off one of the mockingbirds. So I guess that makes them Alpha bird.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So Mockingbird > Crow > Hawk/Eagle? It always amazes me watching the mockingbirds dive bomb the crows and hawks in the neighborhood. Although I've seen one of the local Peregrines pick off one of the mockingbirds. So I guess that makes them Alpha bird.
I guess the closest eagles around here are at least 25 miles away. We had a pair of Cooper hawks in the yard (3 acres of woods) for years, but I haven't seen them lately. The crows harassed them endlessly. The only bird which worried me about the pets was a barred owl which used to hang out. Those things are b-i-g! Several years ago, we met our former next-door neighbors, who've moved to FL to be near kids, at condos south of St. Augustine. One day, sitting at lunch, Norma says "That's an osprey." We looked out the window and, sure enough, there it was in a pine tree. Came back every day to the same branch...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah, we have a pair of barred owls in the neighborhood as well. Pretty amazing considering how close we are to the city. Those guys make a racket at dusk. I get to listen to them when I grill. There is also a pair of red shouldered hawks. Between those and all the feral cats, it is a war zone for chipmunks and squirrels. Our neighborhood has a ton of old oaks trees around I guess that is why they are here. The peregrines nest over in the office buildings in Buckhead.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, we have a pair of barred owls in the neighborhood as well. Pretty amazing considering how close we are to the city. Those guys make a racket at dusk. I get to listen to them when I grill. There is also a pair of red shouldered hawks. Between those and all the feral cats, it is a war zone for chipmunks and squirrels. Our neighborhood has a ton of old oaks trees around I guess that is why they are here. The peregrines nest over in the office buildings in Buckhead.
The worst one of all is the damned barn owl. Just try to go to sleep with one of those while backpacking. They sound like most people think screech owls sound...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.