lloyd got a hat trick in the first half and usa had one own goal

eta: please edit title, usa was autocorrected

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: isa women are winning big in the world cup final

I read that when Japan scored in the first half, it ended a 539 minute scoreless streak against the US team - that's one minute shy of six games without allowing a score - WOW!

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR

Congrats to our Women's team. They got better and better during the tournament as a team and individual talent was exceptional as well.

Now only if our men's team had that kind of talent across the board with a few superstars thrown in...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
We are all the fist bumping eagle tonight.

This team faced a lot of criticism from players, former coaches, and the media. So glad they responded like champions.

The US Women's National Team are winners of:
3 of 7 World Cups
4 of 5 Olympic gold medals + 1 Silver medal
10 of 22 Algarve Cups

and current defending champion of all three.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I read that when Japan scored in the first half, it ended a 539 minute scoreless streak against the US team - that's one minute shy of six games without allowing a score - WOW!
That is amazing. Hope Solo is a full-fledged nutter, but she's a heck of a goal keeper. Of course, having those other ladies to keep the pressure to a minimum helps. Congrats to the team! Thanks for a great showing!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Wow: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...re-saying-about-the-u-s-women-s-world-cup-win

While some 17 million American viewers tuned in to the 7 p.m. ET start of Sunday's game, that number quickly grew to 21.86 million an hour later — and reached 22.86 million at 8:30 p.m. ET, according to preliminary data from industry website TV Media Insights.

Those figures are comparable to the 2014 World Series' Game 7, which attracted 23.5 million viewers — far more than any other game of the 2014 series.
As a comparison, consider that the Golden State Warriors' recent title-clinching Game 6 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals earned a 15.9 overnight rating. That figure was hailed as a Game 6 record for ABC in a Finals series that drew the highest average numbers since the Michael Jordan era.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not to impugn the rating but look at it in context

Then you remember:
1) Game 6 was played on a TUESDAY night and had OTHER competition
2) The women's game was played on the Sunday of a THREE-DAY HOLIDAY WEEKEND with no other real competition
3) They even caught a break when the NASCAR race was delayed by weather until a nearly midnight start. I'm not suggesting that multiplied millions of fans switched the channel but no doubt they were helped by folks who are just "sports fans" or those who said "there's nothing else on Tv."

Let's not for even one second suggest that women's soccer could compete with the NBA long-term.

(It sorta reminds me of when folks were saying back in 1998 that pro wrestling was more popular than football. They'd take the ratings of WCW and WWF and add them together and get a higher composite rating - never mind the inconvenient fact that cable was in fewer homes than network).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

LOL, no one is suggesting women's soccer will compete with the NBA - but the numbers are astonishing. This is women's soccer we're talking about...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

LOL, no one is suggesting women's soccer will compete with the NBA - but the numbers are astonishing. This is women's soccer we're talking about...
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Well, at least not if we're comparing men's soccer, or soccer in general, to the NBA and women's soccer to women's basketball. And maybe not in the near future but in another decade or two I could easily see soccer overtaking basketball.

Basketball, and the NBA especially, has been steadily losing popularity since the Jordan era. And, if the "culture" surrounding the NBA continues in the fashion it has for the past decade or two, that trend will likely continue. As more and more people in the U.S. become more and more "International" in our thinking and, especially, TV watching - whether through immigration or simply an evolution of culture and information, e.g. the world getting even "smaller" - soccer could easily continue gaining ground and popularity, eventually passing (as it already has hockey) other historically more popular sports in the U.S. like basketball and, GASP!, even baseball.

In 20 years, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the two most popular sports - by a decent margin - were Football and Futbol, aka Soccer. Of course, the only way any sport would ever surpass football in popularity would be for lawyers and politicians to basically if not literally banish the sport due to safety concerns. There will always be a big gap between football and everything else in this country.

But if you look at the numbers - especially when factoring in the number of TV sets in the U.S. which tune into international soccer matches - you'll see that for at least 20 years the popularity of the previous 2-4 sports of Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey have been declining while the popularity of Soccer has been on the rise.

I know in the 90's a lot of soccer proponents were expecting an "overnight" shift in popularity where soccer would burst onto the scene - especially after the '99 World Cup. Of course, those expectations were absurd; nothing like that ever really happens overnight. But, if in 20 years the culture shifts from where the general sentiment towards a sport is "who cares?" to where it can be as popular if not more popular - at times - as those other sports then why can't the culture shift in another 20 years from here to where it actually has become more popular than those other sports?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Well, at least not if we're comparing men's soccer, or soccer in general, to the NBA and women's soccer to women's basketball. And maybe not in the near future but in another decade or two I could easily see soccer overtaking basketball.

Basketball, and the NBA especially, has been steadily losing popularity since the Jordan era. And, if the "culture" surrounding the NBA continues in the fashion it has for the past decade or two, that trend will likely continue. As more and more people in the U.S. become more and more "International" in our thinking and, especially, TV watching - whether through immigration or simply an evolution of culture and information, e.g. the world getting even "smaller" - soccer could easily continue gaining ground and popularity, eventually passing (as it already has hockey) other historically more popular sports in the U.S. like basketball and, GASP!, even baseball.

In 20 years, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the two most popular sports - by a decent margin - were Football and Futbol, aka Soccer. Of course, the only way any sport would ever surpass football in popularity would be for lawyers and politicians to basically if not literally banish the sport due to safety concerns. There will always be a big gap between football and everything else in this country.

But if you look at the numbers - especially when factoring in the number of TV sets in the U.S. which tune into international soccer matches - you'll see that for at least 20 years the popularity of the previous 2-4 sports of Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey have been declining while the popularity of Soccer has been on the rise.

I know in the 90's a lot of soccer proponents were expecting an "overnight" shift in popularity where soccer would burst onto the scene - especially after the '99 World Cup. Of course, those expectations were absurd; nothing like that ever really happens overnight. But, if in 20 years the culture shifts from where the general sentiment towards a sport is "who cares?" to where it can be as popular if not more popular - at times - as those other sports then why can't the culture shift in another 20 years from here to where it actually has become more popular than those other sports?
I think Basketball is a player loyalty sport. I see more people switching jerseys in favor of which team Lebron or whoever moves more than peeople loyal to a team. I think aside from the Spurs,Lakers, and Celtics there are few loyal to a team fans. There were more people tuned into SF vs KC game 7 on a wednesday night than NBA finals game 6. It is probably mostly due to more fans didnt want to see Lebron lose another championship and the lack of Warriors fans. I think it can be clearly stated that basketball and baseball have lost tons of intrests, and football and other contact sports have overtaken them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

astonishing yes, but you also have to remember how much build up this women's team has been getting over the past 4 years. The womens team lost in an overtime shootout to Japan in 2011, and then went to win the gold medal in the olympics. Plus the USA womens teams have been at the door to winning another title ever since they won in 99 so there is general excitment that we can beat the Europeans and South Americans at their own sport. Plus like Selma said it was a weekend game compared to a weekday game, but I still suspect a World Cup final game would still beat a Cavs vs Warriors game 6 had they been on the same day. Mainly because the major intrest in the Cavs vs Warriors is Lebron's legacy and the World Cup is about national pride.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

still suspect a World Cup final game would still beat a Cavs vs Warriors game 6 had they been on the same day. Mainly because the major intrest in the Cavs vs Warriors is Lebron's legacy and the World Cup is about national pride.
Huh. Who won game 6 of the NBA finals?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Epic game! Been watching the last couple weeks and IMHO the Japanese team was intimidated by USA team. As they should be!

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bazza, you're going to have to host those photos on imageshack or similar and link from there - it appears that gatorcountry doesn't allow hot linking.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

(Trying to remain calm....)

We have been hearing about this coming soccer boom since THE 1960S!!!!! It hasn't happened, and it likely never will. I had a guy make this same prediction to me back in 1995 - "in 20 years soccer will be bigger than baseball." Well, it isn't. And everyone can always give me the very same anecdotal evidence every single time, and it never happens.

And I say this as one of the Americans who actually LIKES and can appreciate soccer. (I have to admit that since I was introduced to soccer in England in the mid-1970s, I have a greater appreciation than the average American and I'm sorta glad England lost because I feel a strong sense of loyalty to the island where I learned the game. I probably would have been pulling for England over the USA, patriotism be junked).

In 1979, several of us came back from tours in England and Germany. All of a sudden military housing was playing soccer when they never did before. Five years later, the NASL went out of business. The boom was gonna happen when we were sort of successful in the 1990 World Cup - wrong. When the World Cup was held in the USA in 1994 - wrong. When the women won the 1999 Cup - wrong.

I hear the same predictions every time something like this happens. I'm not ripping the girl's team, the sport, or even the defenders, it's just that I've heard the same thing over and over for 35-plus years now, and it hasn't happened. We had a tennis boom in the 1970s......how many of you even watch it much less play it nowadays? We had a bowling boom - and you'd think that would drastically increase at least in personal popularity since: a) you can play it year round; and b) it doesn't exactly require physical conditioning - much anyway.

Yes, the ratings were impressive. But it wasn't all that long ago that NASCAR was gonna be the next big thing. It had a boom period. In 2004, in fact, they were trying to figure out how to expand to have races overseas......and then the sport suddenly crashed (if you'll pardon the pun, ha ha). NASCAR Driving School in Atlanta used to have more folks wanting to go than line up for free food - now, nothing.

The NBA - correct - is a personality driven sport, it's sort of like boxing/wrestling with a bouncing ball. And Tim Duncan - as good as he is - is a gentleman who isn't overly quotable. There's no Shaq vs Kobe going on right now, Bird and Magic, Jordan and everyone else.

I could, of course, be wrong. Perhaps someday at some time the sport of soccer will become huge. But you'd think given how many get started at a young age and have for years that NOW would be this big boom time on the professional stage. I just don't see it happening. Part of the problem is that in MEN'S soccer generally speaking, ninety percent of the games end with one of three scores: 0-0, 1-0, and 1-1 (with penalty kicks). There's just not a lot of scoring (excluding Germany drilling Brazil a year ago). That scoring in fact is part of why the ratings went up the first hour as the US punched in four goals.

The LSU-Alabama 2011 regular season game was a masterpiece of defense - most fans of neither team whined about that game. Why? Because we LIKE offense in our sports. At Alabama we have a long history of enjoying a dominant defense but it's hard to get everyone on board for such a team AND such a sport. In CFB, folks can always watch Oklahoma vs Kansas if they want to see a lot of points. Or a baseball game at Coors Field.

Soccer doesn't offer that option.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

(Trying to remain calm....)

We have been hearing about this coming soccer boom since THE 1960S!!!!! It hasn't happened, and it likely never will. I had a guy make this same prediction to me back in 1995 - "in 20 years soccer will be bigger than baseball." Well, it isn't. And everyone can always give me the very same anecdotal evidence every single time, and it never happens.

And I say this as one of the Americans who actually LIKES and can appreciate soccer. (I have to admit that since I was introduced to soccer in England in the mid-1970s, I have a greater appreciation than the average American and I'm sorta glad England lost because I feel a strong sense of loyalty to the island where I learned the game. I probably would have been pulling for England over the USA, patriotism be junked).

In 1979, several of us came back from tours in England and Germany. All of a sudden military housing was playing soccer when they never did before. Five years later, the NASL went out of business. The boom was gonna happen when we were sort of successful in the 1990 World Cup - wrong. When the World Cup was held in the USA in 1994 - wrong. When the women won the 1999 Cup - wrong.

I hear the same predictions every time something like this happens. I'm not ripping the girl's team, the sport, or even the defenders, it's just that I've heard the same thing over and over for 35-plus years now, and it hasn't happened. We had a tennis boom in the 1970s......how many of you even watch it much less play it nowadays? We had a bowling boom - and you'd think that would drastically increase at least in personal popularity since: a) you can play it year round; and b) it doesn't exactly require physical conditioning - much anyway.

Yes, the ratings were impressive. But it wasn't all that long ago that NASCAR was gonna be the next big thing. It had a boom period. In 2004, in fact, they were trying to figure out how to expand to have races overseas......and then the sport suddenly crashed (if you'll pardon the pun, ha ha). NASCAR Driving School in Atlanta used to have more folks wanting to go than line up for free food - now, nothing.

The NBA - correct - is a personality driven sport, it's sort of like boxing/wrestling with a bouncing ball. And Tim Duncan - as good as he is - is a gentleman who isn't overly quotable. There's no Shaq vs Kobe going on right now, Bird and Magic, Jordan and everyone else.

I could, of course, be wrong. Perhaps someday at some time the sport of soccer will become huge. But you'd think given how many get started at a young age and have for years that NOW would be this big boom time on the professional stage. I just don't see it happening. Part of the problem is that in MEN'S soccer generally speaking, ninety percent of the games end with one of three scores: 0-0, 1-0, and 1-1 (with penalty kicks). There's just not a lot of scoring (excluding Germany drilling Brazil a year ago). That scoring in fact is part of why the ratings went up the first hour as the US punched in four goals.

The LSU-Alabama 2011 regular season game was a masterpiece of defense - most fans of neither team whined about that game. Why? Because we LIKE offense in our sports. At Alabama we have a long history of enjoying a dominant defense but it's hard to get everyone on board for such a team AND such a sport. In CFB, folks can always watch Oklahoma vs Kansas if they want to see a lot of points. Or a baseball game at Coors Field.

Soccer doesn't offer that option.
I think people confuse a few games a year with 82. I think when the USA is in the world cup or olympics then everyone is behind them, but to the common american they dont realize that these teams are together way longer than those tournaments and they have to actually qualify for he world cup a year before its played.

Also it is in the American soul to root for an underdog, and we are a considerable one when it comes to the Men's World Cup. We have prep highschools like Hoover for American football while Baracalona and Munich have prep elementary schools for soccer. Soccer is basically the only real sport they play. Its like comparing or national basketball team to any other country.

As for the Women... I dont know how true this is but I have a friend that was stationed in Italy and then later Ramstein before going back CONUS and he said most countries over there dont give two rips about women's soccer and most dont watch it. He also said the US gets behind and promotes the women's teams a 100 times more than most European countries. Like I said I dont know how true that is, but the women's teams have finished no less than 3rd in the world cup and Silver in the Olympics since their inception. Also worth noting that the average American doesnt know that the USA women soccer team has always had the most cup titles since FIFA created the Women's world cup in 91 (which the USA won). 91'99' and '14

But the point is that you are right that soccer wont overtake the big 3 sports in the USA. But I will say for a game or two it can probably beat a Basketball Finals game or a MLB world series game, but unless the USA mens team is in the World Cup finals game it will never trump the SuperBowl in viewing audience in the USA.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.