Scout's Preview of Alabama

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
He does contradict himself. First he says " for a relatively easy slate". Then at the end he says "Throw in the season opener against Wisconsin, and just about anyone else would be crushed by the slate". So which is it, relatively easy, or crushing?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1561326.html

Most seems fair, but I don't see how they seem to think we have "a relatively easy slate" of a schedule.
I enjoyed the article...it's always fun to read when the writer gives Bama under Saban the credit it's due.

One way of reading his line - "Making things even better for a relatively easy slate is the second road game – it doesn’t come until October 17th, and it’s only the second true road date over the first nine games." is to consider he might be comparing Bama's schedule this season with our schedule from last season, saying overall the lineup Bama faces this year isn't quite as tough as last year. Relatively speaking.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Some great perspective here:

Considering what Alabama does on the biggest of big stages, the program is just this close to winning six national title in seven years.

It took the eventual national champion Ohio State Buckeyes to have everything humming at the highest and most focused of levels to get through the Sugar Bowl, and even then Alabama was right there in a 42-35 firefight. With only some due respect to Oregon, that battle in New Orleans was the real national title game.

It took one of the greatest finishes in college football history on Auburn’s Chris Davis miraculous kick-six to keep the Crimson Tide from – with only some due respect to 2013 Missouri - getting its shot at a Florida State team that needed a last-second touchdown to win the 2014 BCS championship.

It took an epic performance from Tim Tebow to pull out a fourth quarter thriller over the unbeaten Tide in the 2008 SEC championship.

So, it took everything two eventual national champions had in the bag, and a miracle from a team that came within a late stop of winning a national title, to keep Alabama from a whole other level of dominance.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well, Anthony Jennings went 8-26 for 78 yards against Alabama in 2014. It was the running game and poor offensive play by Alabama that had LSU in the game. The passing game didn't do anything.
I didn't realize his stats were that poor. I just remember telling myself "I can't believe we let Jennings throw a TD". I also remember him running quite a bit for 1st downs when containment broke. That was a really strange game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I didn't realize his stats were that poor. I just remember telling myself "I can't believe we let Jennings throw a TD". I also remember him running quite a bit for 1st downs when containment broke. That was a really strange game.
He had 40 yards rushing, which really helped them. Bama did limit the passing game, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The schedule: The last time Alabama faced a Big Ten team was the Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State. The Tide might be amazing to start out seasons under Nick Saban, but Wisconsin won’t be an easy way to start the season.
- There’s only one true road game over the first half of the season, going to Georgia on October 3rd. The SEC opener against Ole Miss and the showdown against Arkansas are at home.
- Making things even better for a relatively easy slate is the second road game – it doesn’t come until October 17th, and it’s only the second true road date over the first nine games.
- Getting a week off to prepare for LSU is never a bad thing, but it also comes at the right time on October 31st. The team should be ready for the finishing kick.
- WATCH OUT FOR … The home date against Tennessee. Coming off road games against Georgia and Texas A&M, wrapped around the Arkansas game, the Tide might be caught looking ahead a bit to the week off.
Is that so?

Clicky

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
2014 Fun Stats:
- Rushing TDs: Alabama 35 – Wisconsin 5
- Fourth Down Conversions: Alabama 10-of-13 (77%) – Opponents 7-of-18 (39%)
- First Half Scoring: Alabama 316 – Opponents 129

Should read:

2014 Fun Stats:
- Rushing TDs: Alabama 35 – Opponents 5
- Fourth Down Conversions: Alabama 10-of-13 (77%) – Opponents 7-of-18 (39%)
- First Half Scoring: Alabama 316 – Opponents 129

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read a Pat Forde article this morning that rates Alabama's schedule as the most difficult in the country this season. An excerpt:

Toughest schedule, period: Alabama has at least two slobberknockers a month. Every month. In September it has Wisconsin and Mississippi. In October it visits Georgia and Texas A&M – the latter coming off a bye while the Crimson Tide is coming off a rumble with Arkansas. In November it plays LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn – the final two on the road. If anyone complains about the Tide scheduling Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe and Charleston Southern, tell them to look at the schedule in its entirety and hush.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.