Link: Another obscure penalty imposed by the ACA aka ObamaCare and nobody knew

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Wow.....$500K year in fines? That's crazy. Word to small business owners like myself....do NOT compensate your staff and call it "Health Insurance Assistance" -- or you will be whacked hard

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Was actually known to those paying close attention.

As an aside, how many folks had their insurance at work get worse with higher deductibles and copays and move from pay those and then insurance pays 100% to an 80/20 plan or the like? Your employer is trying to avoid the "cadillac plan" tax.

A number of years ago my small business employer, who did offer insurance but I could not afford the family plan at the time, paid for me to see the doc when I ran a 103+ fever and was still trying to work. Turned out I had a 17k white count and strep was the culprit. PCN shot and a day of rest and back at it. But yeah, the owner would be fined now for doing something beneficial to both me and his business.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Was actually known to those paying close attention.

As an aside, how many folks had their insurance at work get worse with higher deductibles and copays and move from pay those and then insurance pays 100% to an 80/20 plan or the like? Your employer is trying to avoid the "cadillac plan" tax.

A number of years ago my small business employer, who did offer insurance but I could not afford the family plan at the time, paid for me to see the doc when I ran a 103+ fever and was still trying to work. Turned out I had a 17k white count and strep was the culprit. PCN shot and a day of rest and back at it. But yeah, the owner would be fined now for doing something beneficial to both me and his business.
Yes, I've previously posted articles regarding avoidance of the Cadillac Tax by employers. And of course, the goal of the ACA is to degrade the quality of employer-sponsored insurance so it is no better than what can be obtained on an exchange. This is part and parcel of the underlying rationing objective.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.nfib.com/article/suranc-69940/

Can't help employees pay for insurance.
I assume the rule is there to avoid "corporate welfare" (i.e. businesses sending employees to an exchange where the employees might qualify for government subsidies for health insurance instead of the businesses providing the insurance themselves) and to prevent businesses from avoiding coverage mandates through the direct reimbursement of medical expenses.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The whole thing makes me wonder how hard the Federal government has to kick the American people in the groin before the American people will stand up and say, "Hey, buddy! Quit kicking me in the groin!"

I am beginning to wonder if the American people cannot be made to resent punishment from their general government.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The whole thing makes me wonder how hard the Federal government has to kick the American people in the groin before the American people will stand up and say, "Hey, buddy! Quit kicking me in the groin!"

I am beginning to wonder if the American people cannot be made to resent punishment from their general government.
If you've ever watched "Stossel" on Fox News......he seems to be one of the few who actually feature stories on how we are getting screwed.

The media could really do a number on the waste and corruption in government, if they wanted to. As long as they can feature stories which pit race against race, religion against religion, and political party against political party...along with natural and man-made disaster stories......they can skip the more investigative stuff...and just go for the easy kill stuff.

Yeah....it's ridiculous.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
223,000 jobs added, but 432,000 American leave the workforce.

There might be a causal relationship between these data and the ACA.
A report from Shigeru Fujita at the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia on Feb. 6, 2014, also sought to tease out the relative impact of various causes for the declining labor force participation rate. Fujita concluded that about 65 percent of the decline between 2000 and the final quarter of 2013 was due to retirement and an increase in disability.

Nonparticipation due to retirement did not rise until the end of the Great Recessionbut started to increase significantly in 2010. Since the start of 2012, it has been themost important contributor to the increase in the overall nonparticipation rate.

However, Fujita concluded, “Almost all of the decline (80 percent) in the participation rate since the first quarter of 2012 is accounted for by the increase in nonparticipation due to retirement. This implies that the decline in the unemployment rate since 2012 is not due to more discouraged workers dropping out of the labor force.”

We are getting older TW.
:eek:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We are getting older TW.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]:eek:
Yeah, I know. What I would wish for the US is a country in which anyone who has a good idea can secure funding, start a company, go into production, and work hard and make a good deal of money, and for those who do not have great ideas, to get a steady job, make enough to live comfortably, maybe afford a vacation somewhere, and retire without economic fear.

What I see in my home town is a bunch of closed factories, a bunch of places hiring people to work part-time for minimum wage (or maybe slightly above that), and lots of people who have just given up and spend their days drinking, smoking and saving for their next tattoo. The hometown I grew up in is dead and gone. There is honor in honest work, there is shame is shirking honest work. Not many seem to share those ideas around here any more. That makes me sad.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, I know. What I would wish for the US is a country in which anyone who has a good idea can secure funding, start a company, go into production, and work hard and make a good deal of money, and for those who do not have great ideas, to get a steady job, make enough to live comfortably, maybe afford a vacation somewhere, and retire without economic fear.

What I see in my home town is a bunch of closed factories, a bunch of places hiring people to work part-time for minimum wage (or maybe slightly above that), and lots of people who have just given up and spend their days drinking, smoking and saving for their next tattoo. The hometown I grew up in is dead and gone. There is honor in honest work, there is shame is shirking honest work. Not many seem to share those ideas around here any more. That makes me sad.
I thought we were from the same hometown. That is not a fair description...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
"I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."

B. H. Obama
Sources: Speech, "A Politics of Conscience," June 23, 2007

Everyone enjoying paying up to $2,500 a year less for the same plan you that were able to keep?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.