Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College (Update: Signs with Memphis)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

IIRC, OJ jumped too early for the ball, which is why he's not as high as it would seem he should be. However, he could have extended his arms to reach for the ball. He didn't do that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Guys, still, that play isn't even necessary had "Good Bo Wallace" not shown up in the second half.

Great QB play is just about the only thing to beat Alabama since the 2008 season began. The only exceptions, IMO, were the LSU losses in 2010 and 2011. I don't think Jordan Jefferson played particularly well in either of those games aside from a few big plays (although maybe he did in 2010). Those games were more about LSU's defense stopping Alabama's offense just enough.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Guys, still, that play isn't even necessary had "Good Bo Wallace" not shown up in the second half.

Great QB play is just about the only thing to beat Alabama since the 2008 season began. The only exceptions, IMO, were the LSU losses in 2010 and 2011. I don't think Jordan Jefferson played particularly well in either of those games aside from a few big plays (although maybe he did in 2010). Those games were more about LSU's defense stopping Alabama's offense just enough.
The problem with the "Hot handed QB" theory is that it is happening to Bama to often. It used to be an anomaly and now it's almost more of a regularity..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Few things:

"We had a problem earlier in the season but now we're on the same page, we're clicking," Howard said. "It's good."
The problem early in the year was simple.

"Probably just not me going to get the ball out of the air," Howard said. "But now I've been doing a pretty good job of it, of going up and getting it and attacking the ball."

The turning point came after one of the biggest moments in Alabama's season. Driving for the winning touchdown at Ole Miss, Rebel Senquez Golson out-jumped Howard for an interception in the end zone to end the Tide's perfect season.

Howard said he never saw Golson. It wasn't until later when he saw a picture of the play when realized exactly how it happened.

"That was a pretty bad moment for us," Howard said. "I was like it can't happen again. I think I learned from it."
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/12/alabama_te_oj_howard_identifie.html

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The problem with the "Hot handed QB" theory is that it is happening to Bama to often. It used to be an anomaly and now it's almost more of a regularity..

That's not really a problem with the theory.. it's a problem for Alabama's coaches. :)

Still, we're talking about, what, 11 losses since 2008? 11 losses in 7 seasons. I'll take it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

jmho, the "hot handed qb" beating us always seems to coincide with our offensive ineptness

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

That's not really a problem with the theory.. it's a problem for Alabama's coaches. :)

Still, we're talking about, what, 11 losses since 2008? 11 losses in 7 seasons. I'll take it.
I'll take it also. But, I would just caution folks about continuing to bring up past performances. Past performances are not at all indicative of future results. Just as a quick analogy, the Dallas Cowboys won something like 3 super bowls in 4 years. Since then (1995) they have won only 3 playoff games. Alabama won 3 NCs in 4 years...

Look, I'm not saying that Alabama is on that path of not winning championships but I think it is disingenuous to just dismiss some of these negative trends that keep coming up by just referring to the W-L since CNS has been here. Almost all of those wins (albeit they were recent) were acquired when football was played very different than it's played today..

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'll take it also. But, I would just caution folks about continuing to bring up past performances. Past performances are not at all indicative of future results. Just as a quick analogy, the Dallas Cowboys won something like 3 super bowls in 4 years. Since then (1995) they have won 1 playoff game. Alabama won 3 NCs in 4 years...

Look, I'm not saying that Alabama is on that path of not winning championships but I think it is disingenuous to just dismiss some of these negative trends that keep coming up by just referring to the W-L since CNS has been here. Almost all of those wins (albeit they were recent) were acquired when football was played very different than it's played today..
I don't mean to argue with that point. You are correct that it doesn't mean anything for the future.

But I am truly doubtful that a defensive back is ever going to be the deciding factor against us. Play a big role? It's possible. But he'll need a ton of help. And while a QB or WR would also need help, IMO, not as much. They can affect a game with a much greater magnitude than a DB.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

jmho, the "hot handed qb" beating us always seems to coincide with our offensive ineptness
Can't argue with that point either. That is part of the blindingly frustrating aspects of some of these losses. The opposing defenses weren't always that great and yet our offense found a way to always dig a hole and wallow in it. Even agains the elite LSU defense in 2011, our offense was able to move the ball up and down the field but couldn't ever cash in.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I don't mean to argue with that point. You are correct that it doesn't mean anything for the future.

But I am truly doubtful that a defensive back is ever going to be the deciding factor against us. Play a big role? It's possible. But he'll need a ton of help. And while a QB or WR would also need help, IMO, not as much. They can affect a game with a much greater magnitude than a DB.
Yea we had gotten off topic a little bit. Completely agree that it's very unlikely that a DB would have a huge impact on a game to the point of being the reason a team won or lost..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Can't argue with that point either. That is part of the blindingly frustrating aspects of some of these losses. The opposing defenses weren't always that great and yet our offense found a way to always dig a hole and wallow in it. Even agains the elite LSU defense in 2011, our offense was able to move the ball up and down the field but couldn't ever cash in.
there were some games where it seemed like the "opportunities" provided by our bad offense (turnovers, 3 and outs, non-scoring drives) gave the qb just the motivation/momentum he needed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Alabama has lost 11 games in seven years. Just sayin', maybe 'too often' isn't reality? No team in the country wins as much as Bama has over the last seven years...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Alabama has lost 11 games in seven years. Just sayin', maybe 'too often' isn't reality? No team in the country wins as much as Bama has over the last seven years...
I would just caution folks about continuing to bring up past performances. Past performances are not indicative of future results. Just as a quick analogy, the Dallas Cowboys won something like 3 super bowls in 4 years. Since then (1995) they have won only 3 playoff games in 20 years. Alabama also won 3 NCs in 4 years...

Look, I'm not saying that Alabama is on the path of not winning championships but I think it we need to be careful to just dismiss some of these negative trends that keep coming up by just referring to the W-L since CNS has been here. Almost all of those wins (albeit they were recent) were acquired when football was played very different than it's played today..

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

I would just caution folks about continuing to bring up past performances. Past performances are not indicative of future results. Just as a quick analogy, the Dallas Cowboys won something like 3 super bowls in 4 years. Since then (1995) they have won only 3 playoff games in 20 years. Alabama also won 3 NCs in 4 years...

Look, I'm not saying that Alabama is on the path of not winning championships but I think it we need to be careful to just dismiss some of these negative trends that keep coming up by just referring to the W-L since CNS has been here. Almost all of those wins (albeit they were recent) were acquired when football was played very different than it's played today..
Wait...what? To describe a trend, do you not have to use the past? All CA was doing was bringing up a "positive" trend. We usually win. Was last year "very different"? We were in the CFP. I'm confused...

Methinks you try too hard to be contrarian and/or negative. But at least there's balance, and not all sunshine pumping, kool-aid drinking, crimson colored glasses wearing homers up in here. No sir! All fo-realists in this camp!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

CA, anyway to take out the posts dealing with the "hot QB" issue out and start an entirely separate thread on the topic? It's worth the discussion.

My brother and I were discussing it earlier. He made these comments that I felt I should share...

I think as a foundation we have to acknowledge that team chemistry has to be at a peak level to go undefeated or to win a national championship.

It wasn’t so in 2010, and that explains in part why we lost - the pressure was just too great and so we got steamrolled against USCe. We got our groove back and then lost a slugfest to LSU where their defense stepped up their game. We lost to AU when we let off the gas right about the time AU found their sea legs. We also had a few bad breaks that factored in.

NONE of those losses point to systemic issues with us. None of them.

2011 we lost a slugfest to LSU. We give up 3 field goals.

2012 we gave up a quick 20 to A&M and then held them to what – seven points? – in three quarters against the quirkiest QB in major CFB history.

See how it goes?

2013 we lost to Auburn in a game where AU was better than we realized, our offense went into a shell, and the wackiest ending you can imagine.

2014 we lost to Ole Miss when our DBs played poorly in the second half, Bo Wallace got hot, and we lost two important parts of our offense.

So here’s what it takes to beat us – a hot qb, a good defense, bad play calling on our end, injuries and a few turners wouldn’t hurt.

Absent all that – you’re not winning.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Wait...what? To describe a trend, do you not have to use the past? All CA was doing was bringing up a "positive" trend. We usually win. Was last year "very different"? We were in the CFP. I'm confused...

Methinks you try too hard to be contrarian and/or negative. But at least there's balance, and not all sunshine pumping, kool-aid drinking, crimson colored glasses wearing homers up in here. No sir! All fo-realists in this camp!
CA brought up Alabama's record over the past 7 years. Past performance doesn't indicate future results. QBs having a "hot hand" against Bama and our secondary not playing up to standard are things that seem to be reoccurring. Does that mean that Bama sucks or can't win anymore or hasn't won enough? No. I never said that. Just pointing out some things that can be cleaned up so we can continue to be successful. Any time someone brings up something that isn't positively glowing about the team people just state the W-L record since CNS has been here. However, most of my conjecture is forward looking meaning what happened 7 years ago doesn't have any forbearance on what will happen this year..

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

CA, anyway to take out the posts dealing with the "hot QB" issue out and start an entirely separate thread on the topic? It's worth the discussion.

My brother and I were discussing it earlier. He made these comments that I felt I should share...
I agree with possibly starting a new thread. My bad for getting off topic..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

CA brought up Alabama's record over the past 7 years. Past performance doesn't indicate future results. QBs having a "hot hand" against Bama and our secondary not playing up to standard are things that seem to be reoccurring. Does that mean that Bama sucks or can't win anymore or hasn't won enough? No. I never said that. Just pointing out some things that can be cleaned up so we can continue to be successful. Any time someone brings up something that isn't positively glowing about the team people just state the W-L record since CNS has been here. However, most of my conjecture is forward looking meaning what happened 7 years ago doesn't have any forbearance on what will happen this year.
This is a worthy topic, by the way. I'm simply saying that ignoring positive past results (our wins) while harping on a negative "trend", which includes only the negative past results, is amusing to me. Even in some of our wins, we were up against hot QBs. (Marshall last year, Manziel the year before, Mettenberger 2012, etc.). What of this theory then?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

This is a worthy topic, by the way. I'm simply saying that ignoring positive past results (our wins) while harping on a negative "trend", which includes only the negative past results, is amusing to me. Even in some of our wins, we were up against hot QBs. (Marshall last year, Manziel the year before, Mettenberger 2012, etc.). What of this theory then?
What more is there to say about something that happened 5, 6, 7 years ago? I'm just discussing what's relevant and what will possibly have an impact on the team this year which is the players and teams performance the past few years. If you don't think QBs having a career day against Alabama or the secondary has any issues then I'm not sure what to tell you. Just about all the other areas of the team are pretty solid..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

What more is there to say about something that happened 5, 6, 7 years ago? I'm just discussing what's relevant and what will possibly have an impact on the team this year which is the players and teams performance the past few years. If you don't think QBs having a career day against Alabama or the secondary has any issues then I'm not sure what to tell you. Just about all the other areas of the team are pretty solid..

And yet it has still taken a QB playing his best game to beat Alabama in the majority of Alabama's losses, whether you go back to 2010 or just the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.