Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College (Update: Signs with Memphis)

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

And yet it has still taken a QB playing his best game to beat Alabama in the majority of Alabama's losses, whether you go back to 2010 or just the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
Just stop. It's not getting through.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Alabama has lost 11 games in seven years. Just sayin', maybe 'too often' isn't reality? No team in the country wins as much as Bama has over the last seven years...

We're on an unprecedented run in the history of CFB. For the past 7 seasons we've AVERAGED 12 wins per season. think of that, most CFB teams have never won 12 games even once, to average that for 7 seasons in the SEC is pretty mind boggling, and in the SECW to boot.

I found that Boise State has also won 84 games in a 7 year span, but against who? They would never survive those inevitable 3-4 game meat grinders in the SEC , so it's not even remotely comparable.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

CA brought up Alabama's record over the past 7 years. Past performance doesn't indicate future results. QBs having a "hot hand" against Bama and our secondary not playing up to standard are things that seem to be reoccurring.
So if we must ignore the past wrt this year's team, why would you bring it up?

Or are we only allowed to be negative when looking back?

Just need some clarification regarding your pretzel logic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

We're on an unprecedented run in the history of CFB. For the past 7 seasons we've AVERAGED 12 wins per season. think of that, most CFB teams have never won 12 games even once, to average that for 7 seasons in the SEC is pretty mind boggling, and in the SECW to boot.
Even following Alabama as I do, I did not realize that. Crazy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

So if we must ignore the past wrt this year's team, why would you bring it up?

Or are we only allowed to be negative when looking back?

Just need some clarification regarding your pretzel logic.
Well, almost all logic is interrelated. Not sure what you are trying to say in your first sentence, it's all garbled.

Alabama gave up 31 PPG in the last 3 games last year. I think that's more relevant than how many game we won 6 or 7 years ago. I was just discussing the issues that caused the defense to yield that many points and then you brought up CNS record since he's been at Alabama. Can you please explain your pretzel logic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Well, almost all logic is interrelated. Not sure what you are trying to say in your first sentence, it's all garbled.
Not at all - you bring up the past to make a point about where we've 'struggled', I highlight the historic run we're on - and you proceed to say 'the past means nothing regarding this year's team' (paraphrase).

That's pretzel logic. You cannot point to the past then claim no one else can, unless you're making up the rules as you go along.

the reality is EVERYONE struggles against a QB having the game of his career. In fact, most every team in the country struggles against that and a slew of other things, which is why we have a better record than anyone over the last seven years.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Not at all - you bring up the past to make a point about where we've 'struggled', I highlight the historic run we're on - and you proceed to say 'the past means nothing regarding this year's team' (paraphrase).

That's pretzel logic. You cannot point to the past then claim no one else can, unless you're making up the rules as you go along.

the reality is EVERYONE struggles against a QB having the game of his career. In fact, most every team in the country struggles against that and a slew of other things, which is why we have a better record than anyone over the last seven years.
I explicitly said in a post in this thread that, IMO, the past few years are relevant when looking forward and discussing what will happen with this years team but what happened 5, 6, or 7 years ago really has no relevance when looking forward to this year..

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Garden City can certainly use some help on defense. The CC, Coffeyville, that Derrick Gore attended, beat them 84-21 in 2014.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Alabama gave up 31 PPG in the last 3 games last year. I think that's more relevant than how many game we won 6 or 7 years ago. I was just discussing the issues that caused the defense to yield that many points and then you brought up CNS record since he's been at Alabama.
Here are the relevant issues regarding those three games:

-- Subpar (by Saban's standards) DB play. Addressed with experience, more talent, and a new DB coach
-- Lack of a consistent pass rush. Addressed with more experience, more talent, and a lighter, faster DL
-- Opposing QB playing out of his mind. Sometimes it happens.

In the three games you reference, it might be useful to note that while some of the defensive flaws were similar, the reasons they were exposed were note:

AU -- We weren't expecting them to bomb all day. Once Slyve went in, their production dropped dramatically.

MO -- When a QB scrambles long enough, someone will get open

OSU -- Not enough film on Jones to properly prepare, team taking him lightly.

By all accounts, Saban has attempted to address the factors that he can control. What more do you want?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Here are the relevant issues regarding those three games:

-- Subpar (by Saban's standards) DB play. Addressed with experience, more talent, and a new DB coach
-- Lack of a consistent pass rush. Addressed with more experience, more talent, and a lighter, faster DL
-- Opposing QB playing out of his mind. Sometimes it happens.

In the three games you reference, it might be useful to note that while some of the defensive flaws were similar, the reasons they were exposed were note:

AU -- We weren't expecting them to bomb all day. Once Slyve went in, their production dropped dramatically.

MO -- When a QB scrambles long enough, someone will get open

OSU -- Not enough film on Jones to properly prepare, team taking him lightly.

By all accounts, Saban has attempted to address the factors that he can control. What more do you want?
I don't "want" anything. Just trying to have a discussion on the defensive struggles which, as Kirby Smart pointed out during media days, was the worse statistical year of defense since CNS arrived. I never said the sky was falling. I never said CNS or Alabama sucks. I just wasn't glowingly positive about the defensive performance last year and was discussing why that was the case..

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

IIRC, OJ jumped too early for the ball, which is why he's not as high as it would seem he should be. However, he could have extended his arms to reach for the ball. He didn't do that.
On certain routes and body positions, don't they call that "short-arming"?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

I just wasn't glowingly positive about the defensive performance last year and was discussing why that was the case..
Thanks for clarifying . At first I thought you were discussing this years team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just an update for those interested...

Cook signed with Memphis today

Former Alabama defensive back Jonathan Cook signed with Memphis Wednesday on the first day of the midyear junior college signing period.

Cook spent this season at Garden City Community College in Kansas after being dismissed by Alabama in June.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.