Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College (Update: Signs with Memphis)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Less than a month after being dismissed from the Alabama football program, defensive back Jonathan Cook has a new home.

The sophomore from Spanish Fort will be transferring to Garden City Community College in Kansas. That's the same junior college attended by former Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall in 2012.

Cook's mother, Melissa Cook, said he's been in school for a few weeks and will play football this fall for the junior college program. He'll graduate in December and look to enroll in another Division I program. The schools he's hoping calls? Auburn and Florida State top the list, Melissa Cook told AL.com. He hasn't heard from any future Division I destinations yet.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival Calls

Eh, sounds like an overzealous "journalist" to me. Considering that AU and FSU recruited him, I'm not sure he is hoping "Alabama's Rivals" calls as much as he is just hoping to get another shot at a big school that he is familiar with. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the drama here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival Calls

Eh, sounds like an overzealous "journalist" to me. Considering that AU and FSU recruited him, I'm not sure he is hoping "Alabama's Rivals" calls as much as he is just hoping to get another shot at a big school that he is familiar with. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the drama here.
She told them Auburn and Florida State are at the top of his list of schools he wants to call. Then, she talks about he'll see Alabama in the future on other side of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

Since he obviously has issues serious enough to kick him off the team, I hope he goes to one of our rivals too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Seems like he didn't learn anything from this, and from the comments made by his mother we can see why. Parenting makes a difference, but sometimes it is not a positive difference.

Hopefully I am reading too much into her comments, otherwise this kid's next few years are going to get tougher and tougher.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't care. He's a defensive back. I honestly can't remember the last time an opponent's defensive back was the primary reason we lost a game.

Now, if he were a QB, maybe I'd be concerned.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

We have had a lot of players leave/get kicked out during Saban's tenure. How many of them have done anything of significance after leaving? I can only think of 2: Corey Grant and Darington Sentimore. There might be a few others, but not many. My point is I doubt we ever hear Mr Cook's name again.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I don't care. He's a defensive back. I honestly can't remember the last time an opponent's defensive back was the primary reason we lost a game.

Now, if he were a QB, maybe I'd be concerned.
Wasn't Marshall a DB at Garden City? IIRC, he wasn't converted to QB until he got to the barn.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We have had a lot of players leave/get kicked out during Saban's tenure. How many of them have done anything of significance after leaving? I can only think of 2: Corey Grant and Darington Sentimore. There might be a few others, but not many. My point is I doubt we ever hear Mr Cook's name again.
Appears Alvin Kamara will be added to that list if the early reports out of Knoxville are true.

Wasn't Marshall a DB at Garden City? IIRC, he wasn't converted to QB until he got to the barn.
He played QB in JUCO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Appears Alvin Kamara will be added to that list if the early reports out of Knoxville are true.

He played QB in JUCO.
Correct.

Yes, I'm concerned about Kamara in that offense (I really think the potential is there for UT to have a big year. They may be 8-4 or 9-3, but those 3 or 4 losses are going to be hard fought games). But, a RB or WR we can contain. However, if they QB is really good, that's when we struggle historically under CNS.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He's not going to be here in SEC next year. He has few issues and from what I've seen in the article from his mom, It sounds like he's spoiled and listen to his mom more than he should.... I wouldn't be suprised to see him land somewhere like South Alabama, * cough* Maybe UAB.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I disagree.

Bo Wallace won that game. Ole Miss isn't even in position they are in at the end unless Bo Wallace doesn't start throwing darts in the second half.
And you can't discount the gruesome injury to Drake in that game. Not only did you lose a huge offensive weapon, but it was one of those moments that staggers a team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

And you can't discount the gruesome injury to Drake in that game. Not only did you lose a huge offensive weapon, but it was one of those moments that staggers a team.
Plus, Ryan Kelly got injured in the third. At that point, the offense immediately just stopped.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Ole Miss last year.
You might could say the defensive back cost us this game but I could just as easily say it was OJ Howard's non attempt to make a play on the ball..

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jonathan Cook Enrolls at Garden City Community College, Hopes Alabama Rival C...

Umm...

That picture clearly shows both is feet off the ground. He could have played the ball more aggressively - sure - but...
You may be right. When I just glanced at the picture it looked like his back foot was still dragging the ground but after I looked again it looks as if it is off the ground. Nevertheless, a 5"10 defensive back shouldn't be that much higher in the air than a 6"4 tight end. I love OJ but I think he needs to learn how to use his frame and height to his advantage. Expecting big things from OJ this year..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.