Question about college finances

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Did teams used to make money instead of lose money? If so, in what decade did they begin to lose money? Did Ole Miss make a profit on football in 1955? Ga Tech make money or lose money in 1961?

I keep reading that most teams lose money on Bowl games. In 1961 there were only eight, the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Liberty, Sun, Blue Bonnet and Gator. Did the headlines read “most bowl teams lost money" in their bowl game?

If Alabama rode a train to California and back, did they make lose money in the Rose Bowl in the 1930’s? Has the cost of hotels and travel gone up so much that it causes teams to lose money?

There was hardly any TV money then. Is TV money the reason only a minority of teams break even now? Is it coaches salaries that is the problem? Is it all the video and training facilities they have now?

Where would I go on the net to find this data?

If we could figure out when we started losing money then we might figure out what to start cutting on.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
update, but it is like pulling teeth :)

Unlike in 2010, when OSU exceeded its allowance and lost $80,000 on the Rose Bowl trip

In 2011, Connecticut took a $1.8 million bath for playing in the Fiesta Bowl

The MAC is giving Buffalo $475,000 for its trip to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise — a game with a $325,000 payout.

http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2013/12/22/Bowl-games-a-win-lose-situation.html

Part of the problem seems to be the schools having to buy up more tickets than they can sell, and then having to pay for the unused.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
update, but it is like pulling teeth :)

Unlike in 2010, when OSU exceeded its allowance and lost $80,000 on the Rose Bowl trip

In 2011, Connecticut took a $1.8 million bath for playing in the Fiesta Bowl

The MAC is giving Buffalo $475,000 for its trip to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise — a game with a $325,000 payout.

http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2013/12/22/Bowl-games-a-win-lose-situation.html

Part of the problem seems to be the schools having to buy up more tickets than they can sell, and then having to pay for the unused.
And all the while I thought ESPN was paying the Bowl(s) enough to make a profit whether they sold any tickets or not. Using the stadiums as TV studios, or so I thought.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And all the while I thought ESPN was paying the Bowl(s) enough to make a profit whether they sold any tickets or not. Using the stadiums as TV studios, or so I thought.
The Bowls make money by the truck load.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.