Finebaum guest host calls for Bama to lose five games in '15

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Paul Finebaum might need to make a quick return to work, as his fill-in host Peter Burns make a bold prediction Wednesday - Alabama losing five games this season.

"I think Bama goes 8-4 and loses a bowl game. HATE the way their schedule lays out for them. Auburn had same type schedule last year, lost 5.
5:58 PM - 8 Jul 2015"

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Sorry, but there would have to be something really wrong with a Saban coached team in order for them to lose 5 games. It's possible, sure. Urban Meyer did it his last year at Florida. Bob Stoops did it in 2009 and 2014.

But, that's one thing about Nick Saban. He always has competitive teams at Alabama. His teams are always in it, they never get blown out. Beating them usually takes some element of luck. Alabama's quite unlikely to get that unlucky 5 times...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Vegas took bets on the W/L over/under and set it at 4.5 games, would anyone bet over? Anyone? Even this guy? Heck, even Auburn fans wouldn't take that bet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Finebaum guest host Peter Burns explains 5-loss Alabama prediction, unhappy response from fiancé

His projection happened organically, not part of a plan to poke the bear with a stick. When a caller suggested Tennessee could beat Alabama, Burns looked at the Tide's schedule with an analytical eye. He noted the unsettled quarterback situation and the absence of Amari Cooper as reason for concern.

Looking at the schedule, he said road games at Georgia and Auburn were the best bets for Alabama losses. Match ups with Texas A&M, Arkansas and Tennessee were "coin flips" and LSU is always a battle. All told, he said Alabama could lose four regular-season games and that disappointment will spill over into a bowl-game defeat.

Burns said he didn't realize how hard October and November would be for Alabama until he looked at it game-by game.

"We started really looking at it and I said if things start going sideways, not knowing what the quarterback situation is and I don't know if there's an option that's as athletic and is as creative as Blake Sims was, who has seen that offense for four years," Burns said. "I've seen this go sideways for a lot of teams, maybe this is year. I started looking at the schedule, came up with 8-4 and now I can't open up Twitter.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Anything is possible, but I certainly would not bet the house on it or for that matter even a dollar. Like another poster said they are just trying to stir things up.

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
This guy took a page out of the FB play book. He pokes BAMA fans because we think and live football 24/7, 365. It is the best way to ensure people watch/listen during the off-season.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama is 37-25-4 against Georgia.
Teams that plays well on the road:
Georgia Bulldogs: 48-17 (.74)
LSU Tigers: 41-24 (.63)
Florida Gators: 38-24 (.61)
Alabama Crimson Tide: 40-26 (.61)
Auburn Tigers: 34-32 (.52)

I think we'll be okay. Only thing I'm worried about is LSU.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Nothing is impossible but it would take a monumental collapse for this to happen. I'm talking injuries and coaching mistakes on an unprecedented level.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It could happen, but I see us more realistically losing 3-4 games. I think the wheels would have to come totally off for us to lose 5. Our schedule is brutal with the unfavorable schedule flip and we've got question marks at some very important positions, specifically qb and the defensive backfield, but I still think that sheer coaching and talent level makes us good enough to win 8-9 games.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree the schedule is tough. It always is, especially in the West these days. Who knows? Maybe the QB situation never gets settled. Maybe Arkansas really turns into a great team. Maybe Tennessee really is about to be back to their glory days. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I don't see it happening, but I don't fault him. It's his opinion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
His major mistake in his prediction comes from him giving other teams benefit of the doubt without giving much to Alabama. How many times have we heard "Alabama is going to have a difficult time replacing this player or that player"? Seems like it's a yearly occurrence. In that time span, has Alabama struggled to the extent Burns predicts?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He's assuming ALL the questions, both ours and our opponents' are resolved in the opponents' favor. Every single one.

Yes, it is mathematically possible. It is not likely. I'll grant a loss anyway, and one more due to a brutal schedule.

Best case: one loss.
Most likely: two or three
Realistic worst case: four

Anything beyond that is possible, but requires a lot of bad fortune for us and none for our opponents.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.