Link: How Meeting With Nick Saban Motivated Darren Lake

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Inside of coach Nick Saban's office following last season, Alabama defensive lineman Darren Lake sat and listened as Saban expressed his displeasured regarding Lake's play, told Lake he needed to lose weight and presented the now senior nose tackle with an ultimatum.

"Saban told him, 'If you don't get the job done, I'm going to move you to the offensive line,'" Lake's high school coach, Andre Pickering, told AL.com.

That meeting, Pickering said, motivated Lake, who proceeded to drop 10-15 pounds and enters the fall as Alabama's first-team nose tackle in the Tide's base defense.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Darren is one of the strongest guys on the team and we need a middle presence when we play WIS, GA, ARK and the Barn. Hope he continues to work hard and progresses.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
"Coaches were calling me from everywhere saying, 'He needs to transfer. He needs to transfer. He's not going to get on the field his senior year,'" Pickering said.

However, Lake never mentioned wanting to leave Alabama, Pickering said.
I hate this part of the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Darren is one of the strongest guys on the team and we need a middle presence when we play WIS, GA, ARK and the Barn. Hope he continues to work hard and progresses.
Yup. It's creates a dicey roster situation because about half the teams we play are spread based and the other half are based on power running between the tackles. Almost like you need two different front sevens for the two different offensive styles..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love the motivation for the football team, but I really enjoyed seeing him mention that he wants to graduate and become a judge.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
This is his contract year, so to speak. He has to put forth every ounce of effort and hone his technique to reach his full potential and I'd much rather it be now rather than one of those fee agent pickups that turn into monsters at the NFL level.

I hope he's matured enough to understand all the extra work this year is money in the bank as a top pick.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yup. It's creates a dicey roster situation because about half the teams we play are spread based and the other half are based on power running between the tackles. Almost like you need two different front sevens for the two different offensive styles..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I think we now have the guys on our DL that we can move in and out based on what type of offense we are going up against.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I hate this part of the game.
Indeed, the seedy underbelly of college football is pretty nasty.

Isn't it an NCAA violation for a coach to recruit a player who is already on a team and has not declared a desire to transfer?
This is how it's done 'within the rules' - these coaches call Pickering (Lake's HS coach) and say this stuff as they know Pickering has an inside connection with Lake. Not actually recruiting a player as the rules are laid out, but essentially the same thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.