Austin Nichols Leaving Memphis; going where?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Austin Nichols is a pretty good player. I haven't seen any speculation on where he plans to transfer. He would have to sit out a year.

Memphis coach has lost a lot of players (sound familiar).

Memphis CA Article

ETA: This is bad timing for a team to lose a player. I'm sure the coach counted on him for the upcoming season and it can leave a hole in the roster.

Last edited:

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
That's interesting.....he's a good player...I think we have filled our roster for the upcoming season though....I don't think we even have another scholarship to give

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
That's interesting.....he's a good player...I think we have filled our roster for the upcoming season though....I don't think we even have another scholarship to give
It's good that the scholarships are being used but too bad Nichols may not be an option. His decision really came late in the year. Is Avery Johnson, Jr.on scholarship? He could attend school this year without a scholarship if his dad wants to pay for it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Dad could pay for it, but if Junior steps on the court, he counts against the limit of 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Dad could pay for it, but if Junior steps on the court, he counts against the limit of 13.

I was thinking for 2015-16 season only when Junior has to sit out anyway.

Why would he count as a scholarship if he plays and dad is paying for it? I think this was discussed some on another thread but I don't remember seeing an explanation on the details. I'm thinking maybe they get an employee discount on tuition and that may be all it takes to consider him a scholarship player if he plays but I don't have a clue.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

He can't step on the court this year anyway because of the transfer rule. Perhaps Dad could pay this year which would open a scholly for someone else (i.e. Austin Nichols), then next year we will have at least 2 more scholly's available (Retin Obasahn & Arthur Edwards) so Jr. could take one of those spots.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Looks like Nichols would have to sit out this season. We need some size, rebounding, and scoring NOW. Chances are we will also need it 2016/7, too.
Come on down, Austin! Would love to have you!!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm pretty sure CAJ has some deal where his kids can come for free. I think Coach Saban had some kind of deal as well. Even if Junior would count against the 13 it wouldn't be until the season after next when he is eligible to play.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Noticed Cecil retweeted Gary Parrish's tweet about it. Wonder if he was just doing so, or if he knows Bama is interested in getting Nichols to join King.
Reading between the lines of the article it does not appear that we are in the mix. Based on the fact that his family hired a lawyer to get the school to back off the restrictions I would guess he wants to transfer to a school that was on the restricted list (i.e. Virginia):

The Memphis Tigers have removed transfer restrictions for forward Austin Nichols, the university announced Tuesday.

"The University of Memphis has reviewed the appeal submitted by Austin Nichols and has agreed to remove all conditions from his release," the school said in a prepared statement.

Nichols and his family had hired a lawyer in an attempt to gain an unconditional release to transfer anywhere in the country.

Don Jackson, the family's lawyer, told ESPN earlier Tuesday: "There's no legal basis for Memphis to deny a release at this point. This isn't about one school. They have denied the release to over 40 schools."

Nichols, who is 6-foot-9, averaged 13.3 points and 6.1 rebounds last season as a sophomore. He was given a release by the school last week with stipulations after initially asking for the release in late June.

Among the stipulations, Nichols was not allowed to transfer to another school within the American Athletic Conference; was not allowed to go to a nonconference opponent on Memphis' 2015-16 schedule, including Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and South Carolina; and was not allowed to transfer to Virginia, Iowa, Providence and Tennessee.

Nichols could still have transferred to the aforementioned schools, but he would have had to pay his own way for his redshirt year in 2015-16.

Sources told ESPN that Virginia is high atop Nichols' list of suitors because of a connection between Nichols' former summer coach, Ernie Kuyper, and the family of John Paul Jones -- whom Virginia's arena is named after. Kuyper runs an event in Memphis called the Jack Jones Shootout.

Virginia, Tennessee and Duke were among the finalists when Nichols chose Memphis out of high school.

There has been no shortage of schools trying to land Nichols.

Duke, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Marquette, Baylor and Auburn are among those who have requested the release, sources told ESPN.

Nichols will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the upcoming season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.