Link: Tuscaloosa News: Kenny Stabler Passes Away

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm in the process of his autobiography and it's quite the read. I would post some of the more entertaining parts but I'd be banned from the board.

Here's one bit that isn't too bad - when Snake was initiated into the A Club he was hazed a bit. The last thing they made him do was get 15 women to autograph a book he had. The tricky part was that the pencil they used was tied to him. Where was it tied? Somewhere you wouldn't want a string tied. His description is pretty hilarious. I highly recommend it (the book, not the hazing).

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
BamaQ, I remember your Dad well, he was a heckuva player. Seems like he came just after Bill Battle, right?
TommyMac: Yes, my father played at Bama after Bill Battle. As GrayTide mentioned, he played with Steve Sloan and graduated in 1965. Mr. Sloan and my father were both drafted by the Atlanta Falcons and played together on the Falcon's inaugural team in 1966. Thanks for the kind words.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
BamaQ, your Dad was my hero, too - first pro shirt I ever had was a NY Jets' No. 86 jersey from Hibbett's Sporting Goods, as I was absolutely certain Tommy Tolleson would be hooking up with Joe Willie again in the old AFL. Didn't work out that way, but he was always my favorite 'Bama receiver, always until...another "ex-Bama Atlanta Falcon," one Julio Jones.

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
BamaQ, your Dad was my hero, too - first pro shirt I ever had was a NY Jets' No. 86 jersey from Hibbett's Sporting Goods, as I was absolutely certain Tommy Tolleson would be hooking up with Joe Willie again in the old AFL. Didn't work out that way, but he was always my favorite 'Bama receiver, always until...another "ex-Bama Atlanta Falcon," one Julio Jones.
Wow TitleWave...I'll have to retell that to my family. Your right though, I was born in 1966 and almost spent at least my first few years in NYC.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Even though I never got to see them play as Bama players, Kenny and Namath are my two favorite QB's for some reason. Seeing their old footage tells me why I love them. Namath jumping like a deer and throwing a bullet 40 yards on the numbers, to The Snake weaving through defenses and scrambling.

I remember walking into Bryant Denny one day with Kenny, and he didn't stroll around like he owned the place either. He acted like he was one of us. I always liked that.

It's still a freaking shame he is NOT in the pro football HOF as well. Very sad to see him pass, even sadder that he never got to enjoy his day on that stage but I think he knew how much he was loved by Bama and Raider fans everywhere.

Bama-Kin

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 16, 2001
Jacksonville, FL.
I have never bragged about my father as much as I should have….but with the passing of the Snake, I will for the moment. My father was Tommy Tolleson who also recently passed away. He played on the 1964 and 1965 National Championships teams at Alabama.

In 2004 my father and I attended the 40th Anniversary of the 1964 Championship team in Tuscaloosa. When we arrived at the stadium, Mal Moore invited us to watch the game from his box along with Ray Ogden. When we took our seats in Mr. Moore’s box, I immediately recognized Mr. Stabler in the next box over wearing headphones as he provided pregame coverage of the game.

As soon as we sat down, Mr. Stabler looked in our direction and immediately removed his headphones, stood up, and exited his box. The next thing I knew, Mr. Stabler was standing next to me as he shook my father’s hand. After my father introduced us, Mr. Stabler looked me in the eye and said, “When I first came to the University of Alabama, your father was my hero.”

Never been prouder.
Awesome story BamaQ!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.