Link: Tuscaloosa News: Kenny Stabler Passes Away

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Never got to see him play for the Tide, but I loved watching him with the Raiders, Oilers, and Saints. My favorite story that Madden always related:

It was Christmas Eve, 1977. Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was decorated brightly to reflect the mood of the holiday, but the fanatical faithful of the Colts were in anything but a festive mood. They howled and booed and vented their anger at an Oakland team that remained tied with their beloved Colts, 31-31, in the opening minute of the sixth period of an AFC divisional playoff game.As Madden tried to speak to his quarterback, he realized Stabler was staring into the crowd.
Had the fatigue and the cold and the tension finally gotten to the man they called Snake?

As Madden prepared to rattle off Stabler's options, the quarterback turned to him, a grin on his face, and said, in that soft Southern drawl of his, "You know, we are sure giving these fans their money's worth today."
With that, Stabler trotted back to the huddle and, on the next play, the second play of the second overtime, calmly threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Dave Casper to win the game, 37-31.

Andy

3rd Team
Jan 21, 2005
I will wait for Earle to confirm. If anyone knows he does. Sad day if true, really one of the greatest.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Thought for a little while there that the Snake had one more last minute comeback in the offering.

It's a sad day...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
One of my saddest days. In my opinion, the greatest QB to ever wear a Bama uniform.
Also a brilliant NFL QB, who, if not for the immaculate reception, would have led the Raiders to, not one, but two Super Bowl titles..
The only Super Bowl winning Quarterback, who, once retired, hasn't been elected to the NFL Hall of Fame.
Probably because he got the DUI's. He should have taken steroids or had sex with under age women like Lawrence Taylor. He would have been fine then. What a joke.
I played BlackJack, sitting by Kenny, at the Isle of Capri in Biloxi, I guess ten years ago.
They had hired him as a spokesperson.
I said, "Hey man, I'm a Bama Grad, and I just want you know that you were the best Quarterback we ever had". He grinned from ear to ear, shook my hand, and, as nice as he could be said, "Thank you man, I really do appreciate that". We talked for about five minutes. Not about Bama, or Football. About how much he had lost his butt lol...
He actually had now lived in Gulfport, with his girlfriend, and my friend, Kim Ross Bush, for a number of years.
I'm just really devastated.
It's a tough call for me for my all time Bama player. I've always thought Musso, but this makes it a tough choice.
This is one of those things you just don't think can ever happen. But guess what? It does.
Roll Tide Roll to the Snake.
I'm gonna cry now.
sip

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.