Link: Tuscaloosa News: Kenny Stabler Passes Away

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Kenny Stabler, in my opinion, is the coolest quarterback to have ever played the game. He was always calm under pressure and win or lose was fun to watch play the game. Rest in peace Kenny.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Kenny was the best Bama Quarterback ever, and right up there near the top as an NFL Quarterback as well. I won't say he was the best, but he was right there.
If he doesn't make the NFL Hall of Fame now, then somebody doesn't have a heart nor a brain.
It's a shame.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Apology if not OK to link to what might be considered a competing site; this is as good a tribute to Stabler as I have seen. Hope you enjoy, hope it is o.k. . . .

""Getting' nowhere fast...As philosophies go, it's as good as any. What counts is not so much where you're going - I mean, we all end up in the same place - but what counts is the getting there. Kind of simple minded, maybe...but it's fun." - Kenny "Snake" Stabler

Getting' nowhere fast...if that quote from the man himself doesn't sum up the life of the recently departed, beloved Crimson Tide legend, then there just isn't a quote worthy of him."

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/7/10/8930527/kenny-stabler-life-full-throttle

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
I have never bragged about my father as much as I should have….but with the passing of the Snake, I will for the moment. My father was Tommy Tolleson who also recently passed away. He played on the 1964 and 1965 National Championships teams at Alabama.

In 2004 my father and I attended the 40th Anniversary of the 1964 Championship team in Tuscaloosa. When we arrived at the stadium, Mal Moore invited us to watch the game from his box along with Ray Ogden. When we took our seats in Mr. Moore’s box, I immediately recognized Mr. Stabler in the next box over wearing headphones as he provided pregame coverage of the game.

As soon as we sat down, Mr. Stabler looked in our direction and immediately removed his headphones, stood up, and exited his box. The next thing I knew, Mr. Stabler was standing next to me as he shook my father’s hand. After my father introduced us, Mr. Stabler looked me in the eye and said, “When I first came to the University of Alabama, your father was my hero.”

Never been prouder.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I have never bragged about my father as much as I should have….but with the passing of the Snake, I will for the moment. My father was Tommy Tolleson who also recently passed away. He played on the 1964 and 1965 National Championships teams at Alabama.

In 2004 my father and I attended the 40th Anniversary of the 1964 Championship team in Tuscaloosa. When we arrived at the stadium, Mal Moore invited us to watch the game from his box along with Ray Ogden. When we took our seats in Mr. Moore’s box, I immediately recognized Mr. Stabler in the next box over wearing headphones as he provided pregame coverage of the game.

As soon as we sat down, Mr. Stabler looked in our direction and immediately removed his headphones, stood up, and exited his box. The next thing I knew, Mr. Stabler was standing next to me as he shook my father’s hand. After my father introduced us, Mr. Stabler looked me in the eye and said, “When I first came to the University of Alabama, your father was my hero.”

Never been prouder.
I remember your dad. Thanks for the great story!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
BamaQ that is a great post. I've read so many news stories about how kind Kenny Stabler was, and in a very humble way I would like to share just a tiny story of my own. I grew up in a family of Clemson fans and my dad took me to my very first college football game in Clemson in 1967. Bama won 13-10 and I was a Tide fan forever.
Fast forward to 2000 and as friends and I were walking through the Atlanta Congress Center next to the dome before the SECCG I saw a big tall white haired guy wearing a long black leather jacket along with what was obviously his family. I didn't hesitate and hurried up to him and introduced myself and asked him what he thought would be the keys to the game.
He stopped his entire group and stood and gave me about 30 seconds of his thoughts, including he thought Andrew Zow deserved to start over Tyler Watts. RIP Kenny Stabler and wake up NFL Hall of Fame Voters!

tidegrandpa

All-American

Never been prouder.
I remember hearing your dad's name called over the radio many a game as a kid in Anniston, Namath to Tolleson, Sloan to Tolleson, never forget it. Hate to hear of his passing also.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
After 1992 Sugar Bowl we were in a bar in NO celebrating when my brother stumbled (he was drunk and a bad dancer) and fell into some other guy on the dance floor. It was Kenny Stabler dancing with a very pretty young girl (I have no idea the relationship). It was clear that Stabler wasn't exactly on his first drink either. He laughed it off and helped my brother up and boosted him back on the dance floor and told us to come by his table later for autographs. About an hour later we went over and he had a short line but called my brother and his wife to the front and said, "your the great dancer, right?" He gave several autographs and told a story or two, including one that involved my granddad (when I mentioned him he knew who he was from Tuscaloosa). Seems trivial but was a cool night, he could not have been friendlier to the drunk that fell into him on the dance floor.

He was my dad's favorite Bama qb, even ahead of Namath and Starr and Trammell - because of his tough style and coolness under fire. In the 70s we were not pro football fans, but when the Snake was playing on TV we watched.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I'm not gonna tell my Kenny story because it involved drinking, but I will tell you this he was a really nice guy. He spent a lot of time with fans making sure everyone who meet him enjoyed the experience.

I have meet only one other Alabama player like that, Bart Starr.

Im gonna miss Kenny a lot.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.