Link: The Biggest Takeaways from Alabama Recruits' Performance at the Opening

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

It’s no surprise that Alabama was among the group of schools who had the largest contingent of commitments at The Opening.

After all, the Tide’s 2016 class is currently rated No. 4 in the country—with six pledges who were invited out to the premier showcase on the summer camp circuit.

In addition to their commits, there were a number of uncommitted prospects who are big targets for head coach Nick Saban and his staff.

What storylines have emerged for Alabama after this week’s festivities?

Let’s take a look at the biggest news for Tide fans to monitor in the months leading up to national signing day.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Taylor didn't work out. Dalvin Cook at FSU is in trouble again after a high school arrest. No, it isn't a life sentence, but it is troubling to me to take such high risk chances. I don't want to be known as a thug program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Given today's malleable definition of "commitment," Jones is about as positive as you can hope for. Davis not so much.

Especially for a rising junior, Harris is saying all the right things. Still, his New Jersey home is a long way from Tuscaloosa in terms of both physical distance and local culture. And it's 19 months until signing day, 2017. Even if he goes the EE route (and I'm guessing we'll strongly encourage that), it's still 17 months. I hope we hold on to him, but realistically you have to expect twists and turns on this one.

I'm with CPA regarding pending burglary charges. I'm willing to over look non-violent stuff, or the odd fistfight if it''s an isolated incident against a worthy opponent and occurs in the heat of the moment. But a burglary? You have all kinds of time to re-think and stop.

Also, I'm all for second chances. But for violent stuff with time to think, or if it's a repeat occurrence, that second chance needs to come someplace other than Tuscaloosa.

Even though it seems to have worked out with DJ Pettway, I'm on record here as being strongly against him even being in school, let alone on the football team. Given repeated incidents in his past, it would have been a huge upset if the Taylor incident hadn't happened. We caught a lot of heat for that, and deservedly so.

You might have some guys with such a history work out. But if you have three or more, I guarantee one of them will embarrass you. It just isn't worth the reputational risk, or the loss of a scholarship that could have been spent on somebody more deserving.

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Burglary, on its face, is not a violent crime. It is the breaking and entering of the dwelling house of another with the intent to commit a felony within. Modern day definitions now include businesses or any property that you have no legal right to be inside. So, the question would be, "what felony was he intending to commit?" If they can't tie a felony to him, then the charges would probably be reduced to breaking and entering.

I don't know the details, but wanted to clarify that burglary doesn't necessarily mean that something dreadful happened. Lots of people confuse burglary with robbery but they aren't the same thing.

ETA: He stole a cell phone and wallet from UGA locker room on a visit. Completely non-violent.
As a first offender, Salomon has been sentenced to five years of probation, 320 hours of community service and is barred from visiting Athens.

"It was just a mistake, a really dumb mistake I made," Salomon told Rivals after sending a hand-written apology to Georgia head coach Mark Richt. "Everyone makes mistakes, I learned, and will never do something like that again."

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Belle,

On his recruiting trip, he went into a girls' dorm room to steal the stuff while the girls were sleeping.

Here.

Burglary, on its face, is not a violent crime. It is the breaking and entering of the dwelling house of another with the intent to commit a felony within. Modern day definitions now include businesses or any property that you have no legal right to be inside. So, the question would be, "what felony was he intending to commit?" If they can't tie a felony to him, then the charges would probably be reduced to breaking and entering.

I don't know the details, but wanted to clarify that burglary doesn't necessarily mean that something dreadful happened. Lots of people confuse burglary with robbery but they aren't the same thing.

ETA: He stole a cell phone and wallet from UGA locker room on a visit. Completely non-violent.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Given today's malleable definition of "commitment," Jones is about as positive as you can hope for. Davis not so much.

Especially for a rising junior, Harris is saying all the right things. Still, his New Jersey home is a long way from Tuscaloosa in terms of both physical distance and local culture. And it's 19 months until signing day, 2017. Even if he goes the EE route (and I'm guessing we'll strongly encourage that), it's still 17 months. I hope we hold on to him, but realistically you have to expect twists and turns on this one.

I'm with CPA regarding pending burglary charges. I'm willing to over look non-violent stuff, or the odd fistfight if it''s an isolated incident against a worthy opponent and occurs in the heat of the moment. But a burglary? You have all kinds of time to re-think and stop.

Also, I'm all for second chances. But for violent stuff with time to think, or if it's a repeat occurrence, that second chance needs to come someplace other than Tuscaloosa.

Even though it seems to have worked out with DJ Pettway, I'm on record here as being strongly against him even being in school, let alone on the football team. Given repeated incidents in his past, it would have been a huge upset if the Taylor incident hadn't happened. We caught a lot of heat for that, and deservedly so.

You might have some guys with such a history work out. But if you have three or more, I guarantee one of them will embarrass you. It just isn't worth the reputational risk, or the loss of a scholarship that could have been spent on somebody more deserving.
I wonder if in many cases the only reason some kids "commit" is to hold a place, particularly if it`s done way early.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Belle, he went into a girls' dorm to steal the stuff. Very troubling decision.
OK, you're right. He non-violently entered a women's dorm room and stole the first things he saw. That doesn't change my position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.