2015 SEC Media Days Thread (July 13 - July 16)

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Saban was talking about his versatility today. Ragland made reference to it, too. I believe Kelly did as well. Saban even talked about him probably being one of the best wide receivers on the team if he played the position.

I got the feeling we are going to see more of Drake all over the field in 2015 in order to get him the ball.
+1.

Remember how Cooper was moved around: slot, left, right, backfield.

i'm looking forward to two-back sets with Drake doing lots of motion and shifting. Could be LOTS of fun.

For us.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Plaxico Burris is a very, very bitter individual. With no real cause to be, I might add.
Plexi glass wasnt that great. If he was then the Steelers wouldve tried way harder to keep him after 04. He really is only memorable because of catching the game winner in superbowl 42 and shooting himself in the leg. Sounds more like he is trying to be relevant anyway he can.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Plexi glass wasnt that great. If he was then the Steelers wouldve tried way harder to keep him after 04. He really is only memorable because of catching the game winner in superbowl 42 and shooting himself in the leg. Sounds more like he is trying to be relevant anyway he can.
I don't disagree at all. I just think he's sooo bitter towards CNS for no real reason. Coach Saban was probably hard on him and he was most likely unreceptive to discipline (just a hunch). Yet he's had a pretty good career. Except for the whole shooting himself in the leg thing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Plaxico is just trying to become relevant again.

Drake is amazing and I hope he shows America just how great he is this season.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't disagree at all. I just think he's sooo bitter towards CNS for no real reason. Coach Saban was probably hard on him and he was most likely unreceptive to discipline (just a hunch). Yet he's had a pretty good career. Except for the whole shooting himself in the leg thing.
Some people just dont grow up. He had CNS and Bill Cowher as coaches but still didnt learn. The funny thing is Cowher stuck his neck out for him after the shooting.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure what Plaxico's beef is with Coach Saban, but Saban already has more championship rings than he has space on his coffee table to display them. The ones who are hurt the most if players are distracted, are the players. They miss out on a chance at winning a title, and very likely are more prone to injury.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Plaxico seems to be saying that Saban lied to him on several fronts, his draft projection (presumably to get him to stay for his senior year ) and about Saban staying before he left for the LSU job. As I recall, a lot of MSU players we're upset about that at the time. His accusations are akin to the "hold the rope" stuff that upset Alabama players and fans a while back.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Plaxico seems to be saying that Saban lied to him on several fronts, his draft projection (presumably to get him to stay for his senior year )
Let's just consider that part about draft projection. Now, think about this, when is the last time Alabama had a presumed first round draft pick stay in school for another year? Ok, now how many first round draft picks has Alabama had leave early? If anything, it's the other way around, Nick Saban seems to be the first to encourage players who can be first round draft picks to leave early, not stick around because it's a position of need.

There have been a few who left too early, but I am drawing a blank on any player talked into staying too long. There are coaches that for instance find a way to keep all their QBs around (even if the draft/another school is clearly a better option) if that's a position of concern, but they're not named Nick Saban.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's just consider that part about draft projection. Now, think about this, when is the last time Alabama had a presumed first round draft pick stay in school for another year? Ok, now how many first round draft picks has Alabama had leave early? If anything, it's the other way around, Nick Saban seems to be the first to encourage players who can be first round draft picks to leave early, not stick around because it's a position of need.

There have been a few who left too early, but I am drawing a blank on any player talked into staying too long. There are coaches that for instance find a way to keep all their QBs around (even if the draft/another school is clearly a better option) if that's a position of concern, but they're not named Nick Saban.
Yeah, but Saban's mantra is and always has been that only players with a first round draft grade should leave early - and Plaxico says that Saban told him that he got a second round draft grade. The fact that he was actually drafted in the first round has nothing to do with it other than creating more distrust in Plaxico's mind about Saban. If Saban could lie about leaving, he could also have lied about Plaxico's draft grade.

Keep in mind - none of this is my train of thought. Just helping you guys understand why Plaxico might still be upset so many years later.

I think that Plaxico is just trying to make SportsCenter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have to tell you I cringed when Ragland mentioned Ole Miss as the team he was circling on his calendar. One, I feared what Saban would say to him for not saying "Getting ready for the season and Wisconsin is my only concern now" and two, in both 2013 and 2014 overlooking an opponent - and good teams at that - have contributed (I feel and has been stated by others, including some on the team) to losses removing the Tide from national championship contention.

So that shows a certain level of arrogance and bad judgement. And I truly hope this team does not fall prey again. I hope the young men have learned the lesson.

Sorry for the sidebar. Didn't want to start a new thread on the topic.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't see anything wrong with that. This is the team that will be ready for the first game. That game, Ole Miss is very personal to those guys... Drake is circling that game.. I dont' think he was being arrogant or anything like that...Cut them some slack.
I have to tell you I cringed when Ragland mentioned Ole Miss as the team he was circling on his calendar. One, I feared what Saban would say to him for not saying "Getting ready for the season and Wisconsin is my only concern now" and two, in both 2013 and 2014 overlooking an opponent - and good teams at that - have contributed (I feel and has been stated by others, including some on the team) to losses removing the Tide from national championship contention.

So that shows a certain level of arrogance and bad judgement. And I truly hope this team does not fall prey again. I hope the young men have learned the lesson.

Sorry for the sidebar. Didn't want to start a new thread on the topic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.