2015 SEC Media Days Thread (July 13 - July 16)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going to try to keep everything in this one thread instead of doing a new thread for each team.

Here's the schedule

SEC Network will provide live coverage of each day's events if you're at home (or work) and want to watch.

SEC Network is live on site at SEC Football Media Days for the first time, July 13-16. The national network will provide the event's most robust television coverage to date.

SEC Network's news & information show, SEC Now, originates from Hoover, Ala. all four days with hosts Dari Nowkhah and Joe Tessitore leading a desk of rotating football analysts and guests that include Greg McElroy, Booger McFarland and Marcus Spears. Every head coaches' press conference, in addition to live interviews with players and coaches, will be televised. SEC Network's football analysts will also share analytical previews of each team throughout the week.

In addition, hosts Peter Burns and Maria Taylor be on site, as well as Paul Finebaum. Finebaum's radio show continues at its regularly scheduled time (3-7 p.m. ET) live from Hoover. The show will air on television Monday-Wednesday immediately following SEC Now: 2015 Football Media Days Special.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
New commissioner Greg Sankey speaking now...

Sankey: As you can imagine, this is a bit of a moment for me. I used to stand in the back and watch Mike Slive up here.
Sankey: Today, I think there are smiles on faces everywhere. We can once again talk football.
Sankey: "It's an honor to be in this role, a true honor"
Sankey: Each SEC team will designate a prostate cancer awareness game to honor former commish Mike Slive
Sankey: This is the first time since 1990 that someone not named Mike Slive or Roy Kramer has stood at this podium for SEC Media Days.
New SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey: Great men came before me, but I am the first SEC commissioner to have a Twitter account.
New SEC commish Greg Sankey speaks a little Bob Dylan. Times must be changing.
Slive quoted Muhammad Ali in 2014: "It's not bragging if you can back it up." Sankey goes with Bob Dylan: "The times they are a changin'."
Greg Sankey praises SEC universities on their stances on Confederate flag recently. "Times, they are changing."
Sankey: Rather than focus on a conversation about freshman ineligibility (hello, Big Ten), let's promote a "college going culture."
Greg Sankey commends former Alabama star Tony Nathan and others for returning to school to earn their college degrees.
Sankey: "Scholars first and champions second. ... Some of you have noted maybe not this year. I can assure you we haven't given up."
Sankey, chair of NCAA infractions committee, says there's a goal of never having an SEC team banned from postseason.
Sankey on goal for SEC: “Never pull down a championship banner, never vacate any wins, never have a team banned from postseason play."
Greg Sankey: “We’ve made great strides as a conference. We can not accept even one step back"
Greg Sankey's big priority at his first SEC media days is similar to Mike Slive's debut: keeping programs from NCAA jailhouse.
Sankey says SEC Network has 70 million subscribers. Which means league coaches make about $1 per collectively.
Sankey: SEC will appoint working group on conduct expectations for players, such as campus policies & national practices.
Sankey: SEC will appoint working group on NCAA compliance "and we have an opportunity to lead national policy."
Sankey: "I learned from John Wooden never to use the word kid. We're talking about young people."
Sankey is talking about global influence for SEC. Beware, world, if SEC Media Days ever come to your town.
Sankey: “Magnifying our global influence isn’t simply about playing games in London or Asia or South America.
Greg Sankey says SEC teams' strength lie in their communities, not overseas. Basically, Alabama isn't playing in Ireland anytime soon.
SEC commish @GregSankey: I am the commissioner of the SEC but they (athletes) are the SEC.
Greg Sankey: “Clearly coaches have a responsibility for young people on their roster"
Sankey said he’s very proud of the state of South Carolina lowering the confederate flag but doesn’t plan to put pressure on Mississippi
Sankey expects convo over next "12 to 24 months" about player conduct. Part of talk will be coaches having more responsibility

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson speaking in the media room...

Jeremy Johnson says there may be a little more throwing this year in the Auburn offense.
Jeremy: "my time is here now. I'm blessed. I can finally release everything inside of me, that I've been saving up."
Jeremy says people who haven't seen him run will be surprised by his skills.
JJ: "I don't feel any pressure. The hardest thing we have to do: find a way to win the tough games. I'm getting better at being more vocal."
Jeremy: correlation b/t off-the-field issuers and success. "They always come back to hurt you." Players holding each other accountable.
Sitting behind Nick Marshall for 2 years: "that humbled me. Nick was good at facing adversity. He kept his composure when things were down."
Jeremy Johnson: “Cam is Cam and I am me. We are different people w different talents,”
Johnson on Malzahn's offense: "Everybody seems to be open. He's a genius."
JJ on Lawson: "He's one of the best players I've seen at his position"

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Auburn linebacker Kris Frost speaking...

Says team hit a "wall" last season
Frost says Muschamp brings intensity to that Auburn defense.
Kris Frost on AU 2015 motto: "count on me." "We're extremely excited to be able to rely on each other." Says "sky's the limit" for Jeremy.
Frost on Muschamp stare: "I try not to look him in the eye."
Frost on Muschamp: "He's allowed me to be a more versatile player"

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gus talking in the TV room...

@CoachGusMalzahn mentions hiring of Will Muschamp. On "count on me" - they've really bought in."
Question No. 2 to Gus is about returning missed field goals. Says it's something he's always practiced. Only thinks about Kick 6 when asked.
Gus on Jeremy running: "excellent runner. Big, fast. Did it a lot in high school. We'll ask him to do that this year."
Gus: "we'll build our offense around QBs strengths."
Gus says Roc Thomas has gotten bigger & stronger. In 3-man battle with Robinson and Barber.
On losing bowl game: have to learn from that and not make the same mistakes.
Gus says Muschamp has edge and confidence that inspires players.
Gus: on new video board. "It's big. It's real big." Says it might take a while to get used to. Likes to watch replays.
Gus on Duke: "he's open when he's covered." Attacks the football. Might be able move him around more b/c of experience.

Was gone for lunch during Gus's time at the podium. Here's the al.com review of his comments.

-- "Our theme this year is 'count on me,'" says Gus Malzahn. That's a motto that started in the spring.

-- "Another positive is we have our entire offensive staff" together for the third year in a row.

-- This season mirrors 2013 more than 2014. He says team has chance to improve each game.

-- Malzahn appreciates Jeremy Johnson's patience as backup for two years. He could have went elsewhere, but did not.

-- On Will Muschamp: "He just has that presence around him. He gives all the coaches confidence, he gives his players confidence."

-- On cost of attendance: "I don't really think it's impacted (recruiting) too much." Auburn just states the facts "but I am glad we have it."

-- Carl Lawson being back at defensive end: "We had trouble putting pressure on the quarterback" in 2014. "Not having Carl, that really hurt us last year."

-- A lot of common words here in reference to penalties and second half of the season. "We faltered. Matter of fact, we faltered in the second half of the season" with penalties. Malzahn earlier said

-- Any motivation around the complex to beat Alabama after the 55-44 loss last season? "No, really just focusing on playing better defense." He adds that he "likes our chances" to beat Alabama this year.

-- Lack of discipline on defense last season: "I think it starts with pass rush." Malzahn repeating himself here when asked about the defense. "The bottom line is, we've got to get better." He calls Muschamp, again, the best defensive coordinator in football.

-- Malzahn repeats that team will have to grow and improve week to week like in 2013. "We're going to have to play well and we're probably going to have to win some close games to have a chance to win the championship in our league."

-- Malzahn doesn't know Louisville's Bobby Petrino very well personally, but "he's a very good offensive coach." Auburn "will have to play extremely well" to win.

-- Malzahn calls SEC West "a man's league."

-- Ever felt like you had to give something up defensively because of your fast offense? "The bottom line is winning games and I think you, as a successful coach, whether playing fast or slow, you have to determine what's best for you team."

Malzahn says he talks to OC Rhett Lashlee and DC Will Muschamp about "what they need" to be successful.

-- Hughes High, Malzahn's first coaching job, folded and consolidated with a nearby school. "I told the coach at West Memphis he shouldn't lose a game with those players."

-- Malzahn on Nick Saban's comments about Cam Newton and Nick Marshall getting second chances. Take issue with it as it relates to the real topic, which is domestic violence transfer rule in SEC? "No, I didn't, but I really feel like this is all stemming from domestic violence. ... I believe most coaches wouldn't have a problem with that."

-- Malzahn on the video board: "It's big. It's real big." He says Auburn will practice inside the stadium with the video board turned on so that players will get used to it.

Last edited:

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Was it me or were the only people that asked Gussy questions were from A(U)L.com, auburnundercover.com, auburnsports.com, or the plainsmen? LOL.....I think it's funny how Saban, Miles, Spurrier get questions from ESPN, CBS sports, Yahoo.com, etc., but Gussy Poo only gets questions from Barners.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Was it me or were the only people that asked Gussy questions were from A(U)L.com, auburnundercover.com, auburnsports.com, or the plainsmen? LOL.....I think it's funny how Saban, Miles, Spurrier get questions from ESPN, CBS sports, Yahoo.com, etc., but Gussy Poo only gets questions from Barners.
That pretty much sums up the Barn's entire existence.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Gus said Muschamp wasn't just the greatest defensive mind in college football but the greatest defensive mind in all of football. Imagine what the final points and yards total would have been if not for the 4 turnovers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I was gonna say that they could have used the space where they put the new scoreboard to build an upper deck, but then I remembered that they can't sell the seats they have now... Maybe that thing will help them sell more Yellawood...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.