2015 SEC Media Days Thread (July 13 - July 16)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really hope this Peter Burns guy gets a chance to interview CNS. If he does, you think he'll mention his prediction of Bama going 8-5 losing our bowl game?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban at the podium now...

Saban hopes that we all have had a great summer. "We have certainly had an eventful summer," speaking of his daughter getting married.
Saban isn't happy that NFL draft grades were delivered to juniors on Dec. 15. Said players played not to get hurt, ran out of bounds
Saban: We lost a great ambassador at the university in Kenny Stabler. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Saban: The good news is that there is no news (offseason trouble).
Saban: “The good news at this time of the year is there’s no news.” Says that means players are focused on the season.
Saban: Had a meeting with team yesterday to reiterate how well they're doing this summer -- a lot of positive energy around program.
Saban: “It’s going to be a challenge for our team to reestablish the identity we want to play with.”
Saban says he wants his team to be more physical and more relentless this season. Pretty much saying his team wasn't tough enough at times
Saban: We didn't finish the season the way we wanted.
Saban: "We gave up too many explosive plays on defense and gave up too many points. We need to improve in those areas."
Saban said defense struggled last year because of offense's turnovers and giving up too many explosive plays on defense. Bad combo
Saban: "Especially on offense, we're going to have a lot of new faces. We have some talented players. They don't have a lot of experience."
Saban: On offense, we're going to have a lot of new faces. How rapidly they come together will determine our success.
Saban said we need somebody to take the bull by the horns at quarterback and be assertive and play with confidence
Saban: “We need somebody to take the bull by the horns” at quarterback. “It’s not something we can force. We have to let it happen."
Saban acknowledges that Alabama is going to have a very good front 7 on defense.
Saban: “If we’re going to be a no-huddle team like we were last yr, we have to manage the season better. At end last yr, we ran out of gas."
Saban: Our schedule is very, very difficult.
Saban said kicker Adam Griffith (back) seems to be healthy again.
Saban talking about Alabama's difficult schedule: "In our league you have to look at it like there are 7-8 teams that can beat you"
Saban: I didn't agree with satellite camps, but I'm not really that upset about it.
Saban on confederate flag: Anytime we have a symbol that represents something mean-spirited, I'm not for having that symbol represent us.
Saban on loss of Jalston Fowler: We'll probably go back to tight ends in that role this season.
Saban says that they'll go back to two tight ends more this year. Singles out Ty Smith and O.J. Howard.
Saban asked if he regrets taking Jonathan Taylor. "We don't at all condone domestic violence or violence against women."
Saban says he doesn't condone domestic violence. "This is an emotional issue that's very, very complicated."

Saban: “I think we should be creating as many opportunities to try to solve this problem with young people male and female alike.”
Saban: “I don’t regret giving players opportunities. This is one we gave a player that didn’t work, but he didn’t really get due process"
Saban on Jonathan Taylor: I still do not regret giving a player a chance.
Saban: “It is what it is. He was at zero tolerance, therefore, we moved on. We don’t condone that kind of behavior."
Saban: I think Kenyan Drake has tremendous versatility as a player. He's a fantastic receiver. It's almost easy to create match-ups for him.
Saban said Kenyan Drake is a versatile player, calls him a fantastic receiver. Would be one of the team's top WRs if he played the position.
Saban: You play a lot of specialty defense in the NFL. Pace of play doesn’t allow you to do that in college now.
Saban: “You can’t recruit as many specialty players. You have to be able to match up in all circumstances which is more difficult.”
Saban on scoring in college football: "I don't think that trend is going to change anytime soon."
Saban: "I think the SEC is, still, top-to-bottom, one of the best leagues."
Saban: “Our team chemistry from SEC title game to playoff game was effected by something"
Saban on draft grade timing: “Our team chemistry from the SEC championship game to the playoff game was affected by something.”
Saban hopes that NFL draft grades get pushed back a bit. "It's my obligation to give him that information when I get that information."
Saban: "A rule that says you don't get information to players on draft status until they're (done competing) would be beneficial."
Saban says Jake Coker has done "an outstanding job for us." Says he's improved in all areas but needs to be more consistent
Saban mentions "consistency" as one of Jake Coker's issues. Said team is encouraged by what he's done. He's made "tremendous" progress
Saban says they don't use cost of attendance as a "recruiting tool" but "maybe it will have an impact in the future"
Nick Saban on the playoff, says it's "better for college football" and "better for fans."
Saban: “In SEC playing a team like Auburn, an SEC title game vs. very good team & then CFB Playoff game, your players have to be geared in"

Saban in the TV room...

Saban: "Kenyan Drake has shown us what a true scholar-athlete should be."
Saban on Drake's maturity: "going to graduate in 3.5 years. We're hopeful as a runner & receiver he'll be a tremendous playmaker."
Saban: "we set records last year on offense, but there was something we lost doing that. (Being able to physically dominate opponents).
Saban: "I'm apprehensive about giving up that quality (being team opponent doesn't want to play)."
Saban on Coker: "tough for Jake to make the transition a year ago. He's more confident now. Knows what's expected."
Saban on how he's changed as a coach: "I learn from the players all the time."
Saban: "you have to trust your players. I think that's something I've gotten better at."
Saban: "I learn from the players all the time. I think caring about the players is why I enjoy being a coach."
Saban: "the pressure for me comes from me."
Saban on relaxing: "I still love what I do. The time that I'm away, I manage better. I used to go on vacation and all I did was work."
Saban: "sometimes now I go on vacation now, and don't work all the time." (Change from previous years).

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ryan Kelly: "we want to be a team that no one wants to play and when they play us, they don’t want to again."
Kelly: "I can't say enough about Jake (Coker) and every quarterback in general.
Kelly on Drake comeback: "he looks great. He's done a great job working to get back."
Kelly on Kenyan Drake: "The way he has come back from his injury just shows the kind of guy he is." "He's bigger than he was before."
Kelly on Bama front 7: "those guys make us better. When you go against those guys every single day, you are going against the best."
Kelly: "Ohio State had a great team, but we had 'em. We have to finish."
Kelly: "When we are running the ball great, I don't think anyone can stop us."
Did NFL draft grades affect Sugar Bowl mindset for Alabama? Ryan Kelly: “To say that it didn’t affect anybody is obviously a lie."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Kenyan Drake (Bama RB) begins session by giving birthday shout-out to younger brother Isaiah, turning 10 today.
Drake says he feels great and is ready to get out on the field.
Drake on injury comeback: "I’m feeling great. If the season started today, I would definitely be out there with my teammates."
Drake on injury: "Even now I have aches and pains a little bit. But I'm ready to get back on the field with my teammates."
Drake seeks to be role model to his two younger brothers & younger sister. "They are my biggest fans."
Drake on QB battle: "all 5 guys bring something to the competition." Says he'll be comfortable with whoever wins the job.
Drake: "mentally somedays it will really bother you. You have to put yourself in a mind frame that it's not going to be perfect."
Drake: "this is my final year to make a name for myself and my University. It's now or never."
Drake: "Ohio State was a formidable opponent. They did their job to beat us."
Drake admits being on Nick Saban's bad side in the past. "You always make mistakes. I'm a testament of that."
Drake said Saban takes players under his wing, supportive in situations that other coaches may dismiss a player for

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Reggie Ragland says he'll move from inside to outside in pass rush situations. What we saw some of at A-Day.
Ragland mentions Harrison, Fitzpatrick and Sheffield as young DBs who will "run the secondary" in future. Says Harris will be a great back.
Ragland says that Calvin Ridley and Ronnie Harrison are players that are impact guys and caught his attention early in Summer drills
Ragland: "Guys aren't scared to play us anymore. ... We've got to get that back."
Ragland: "Our motto this year is finish. Workouts: finish. Film: finish. Games finish."
Ragland: "We need to respect all players. We didn't respect Cardale Jones & look what happened."
Ragland on being physical: "you have to have mental toughness."
Ragland on fans: "Everywhere I go a fan comes up and says 'roll tide, we gotta do this, we gotta do that' "
Ragland: "ever since I was little I wanted to be in stuff like this. Be able to come and show off the team."
Ragland: "i really wanted to get that piece of paper (degree) and give it to my mom because that is something no one can ever take away.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.