News Article: Lane Kiffin 'Not Thinking About the Next HC Job,' Monte Kiffin Says

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

Lane Kiffin and father Monte Kiffin both had laptops in front of them, an informal film session inside the elder Kiffin's Tampa home this summer.

Father and son watched offensive game film from multiple Alabama games last season, including the Tide's Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State. The two coaches shared observations, asked each other questions and just "talked ball," Monte said.

Their conversations during Lane's 10-day visit to Tampa ranged from football to fishing to Lane's children.

What never came up — and rarely does, Monte said — is what lies ahead for his son beyond Alabama after collectively unsuccessful head coaching stints with the Oakland Raiders, Tennessee and USC.

"He doesn't talk about it a whole lot," Monte Kiffin, the respected longtime NFL coach and defensive coordinator, told AL.com. "He just wants to take it one year at a time, and that's what you should do."

Lane Kiffin is entering his second season as Alabama's offensive coordinator after being hired last January.

Multiple teams reached out to Kiffin regarding coaching opportunities following last season, Monte said. He wasn't interested.

Kiffin's focus is solely on Alabama, his father said.

"I can tell you for sure he's not thinking about the next head job," Monte said. "He's gotten some interest, but I don't think Lane was all excited about going because he wants to get his feet on the ground again."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Lane Kiffin 'Not Thinking About the Next Head Job,' Monte Kiffin Says

I have no idea whether or not he will ever be a great head coach, but he is a great OC so he will get another shot at some point. Sounds like he is taking a very mature approach to his present and future.

I didn't like him at all before he came to Alabama. He seemed too full of himself - brash and egotistical. It is amazing how much Saban and his program have already done to rehabilitate Kiffin's image.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

you may want to re-word the title. :biggrin:

just sayin'

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

as to the story itself, sounds like kiffin has bought into the process. and im glad, he's a hell of a good offensive coach

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al

His father says he is solely focused on Alabama. If he's with us only for one more season, and has the same success as 2014, that's fine with me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Coversely, that's all I think about.
heh.

my first thought upon reading the title was, with a wife like layla, that is going to take some self-discipline.

i wonder if the headline writer at al.com has picked up on this one yet.

eta: the headline at al.com has changed too :biggrin:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think he's our next head coach. No arguments gonna happen. I can promise you that. That's why I don't post much any more. Just my opinion.
See ya'll in the fall.
RTR!
sip

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

I think he's our next head coach. No arguments gonna happen. I can promise you that. That's why I don't post much any more. Just my opinion.
See ya'll in the fall.
RTR!
sip
No, no, no, and h-e-double hockey sticks no. He's a very long way from being Alabama head coach material. That's not to say I think he's a bad play caller or that I'm not happy he's here in that capacity. But head coach, oh hell no.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

The longer LK stays the better it is for him & the University.

I don't think it's a sure thing like Sip & I don't see CNS leaving anytime soon at all but one day , with the training he got from Coach, CLK could be the head man & I think by then he will be ready. Going to CSU & doing what he did CJM made himself a better coach, his own man but you could see a lot of Saban in him.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama

If he stays long enough to eventually become head coach then I have no problems with this prediction; Saban's gonna be here at least 5 more years so if it happens, I'm all for it.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

We shall see, Kirby and Kiffin would be logical choices if both hang around.....:cool2:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.