Finebaum.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
he is a good coach, but he did leave florida in a shambles
This absolutely true, and it still has me worried. His policies have clearly changed, at least as far as anyone outside the program can tell, but only time will tell if he has really changed or if he has just gotten better at hiding those tendencies.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
you can miss every show for 6 months, turn back on it & when it picks up you feel like its in mid sentence from when you left.
Sorta like "Days of our lives". Soap Opera. :wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
More consistency?!?

How so? :cool2:

(Not flaming, seriously.)
I was simply thinking about W/L, however when you consider consistency at a single program over time, Saban clearly looks better because of his time at Alabama. But until Saban went to Alabama, they had very similar career paths.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What sells better: saying rolltide and nick saban is the greatest or saying I have my doubts about nick saban and alabama?

Finebaum lives off of callers calling in and his biggest target audience is alabama and auburn fans. If you watch his show then you would know that by far there are more crazy auburn fans than bama fans. He has to make both sides crazy in order to get great rating because otherwise it's rather bland if you don't. But the best solution is if you don't like controversy then don't listen to it.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The fairest way to judge their consistency would be by their time in the SEC. Meyer was only in the SEC for 6 years so I'll only use CNS's first 6 years.

Urban's 6 year W/L record is 65-15 with 2 NC's and remember he started with a much better team than the mess Shula left CNS. Zook, even with his failure as a HC is a helluva recruiter and left Meyer with plenty of talent.

Coach Saban's first 6 year record is 68-13 with 3 NC's and 6 of those losses were in that first year with two undefeated regular seasons to follow.

I'd definitely give Coach Saban the nod.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The fairest way to judge their consistency would be by their time in the SEC. Meyer was only in the SEC for 6 years so I'll only use CNS's first 6 years.

Urban's 6 year W/L record is 65-15 with 2 NC's and remember he started with a much better team than the mess Shula left CNS. Zook, even with his failure as a HC is a helluva recruiter and left Meyer with plenty of talent.

Coach Saban's first 6 year record is 68-13 with 3 NC's and 6 of those losses were in that first year with two undefeated regular seasons to follow.

You didn't include Saban's years at LSU, which would be his first five years in the SEC.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Finebaum...Finebaum...Didn't he used to be a very average-at-best sportswriter for the B'ham News back in the 80s? Whatever became of that guy? ;)

(Give me the screeching cats any day!)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Forfeits don't count.....:cool2:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
To keep the topic on Finebaum - isn't it also possible that he's just pushing the needle so that people will call in and express how angry they are with him? Paul Finebaum is an entertainer now, running his own radio show on a national level. He clearly doesn't need to say much to get people to call in, tweet at him, or mention him in any way to generate discussion. There's nothing evil going on here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Finebaum - isn't it also possible that he's just pushing the needle so that people will call in and express how angry they are with him?.... He clearly doesn't need to say much to get people to call in, tweet at him, or mention him in any way to generate discussion. There's nothing evil going on here .

in all seriousness... That was, and is ,his angle. you look at the Auburn callers compared to the Bama callers and youll see overally obnoxious all the time (Tammy,I man, and Charles) vs obnoxious if you push the right buttons (Phyliss, Legend {when he is on}, and K Dub). I dont count Jim from Tuscaloosa. Finebaum knows if all he talks about is the greatness of Alabama then he wont get a great fight unless Darell,Andy, or other out of state people call in with something off the wall. Finebaum knows when and when not to give his true thoughts, and that is what gains him one of the biggest listening audiences in sports. I think it is obvious with the amount of threads with Finebaum,Kannell,Cowherd, and Joey Galloway in the title. People like to moan and groan about what they say, but the addiction prevents them from either listening to something else or nothing at all.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To keep the topic on Finebaum - isn't it also possible that he's just pushing the needle so that people will call in and express how angry they are with him? Paul Finebaum is an entertainer now, running his own radio show on a national level. He clearly doesn't need to say much to get people to call in, tweet at him, or mention him in any way to generate discussion. There's nothing evil going on here.
He knows Alabama fans well enough to know some are upset with the last two seasons ending in the way they did. Therefore, those fans are easily upset with a comment like "Urban Meyer is now even to Nick Saban as the best coach in the nation."

Also, Paul only makes these comments when a team is not meeting expectations. Look at how he went from Bama bashing in 2006 to loving Bama in 2008 and 2009 due to Saban's arrival.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Yeah, he has no show without those types of calls. He attracts a listening audience much like an accident on the interstate attracts rubber-neckers.........:cool2:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Finebaum...Finebaum...Didn't he used to be a very average-at-best sportswriter for the B'ham News back in the 80s? Whatever became of that guy? ;)

I would like for one of the callers that reads this blog ask him how many times he had a personal audience with Coach Bryant. I think it was only once if that. Finebaum doenst have any of his own Coach Bryant stories. If you want to see him turn into a argument then ask him. I stopped listening to him a long time ago. I wonder why he hasnt published links to his past Birmingham Post Herald articles. He was a worse hack that Scab. But he is a better writer, but he is also uglier than Scab. I give him one more year on ESPN and he will be back in Bham or retired. IMHO

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The antonio Langham story that led to our suspension really made that average sports writer into what he is today. This is why I hate it when rival fans try to say he is one of ours. He also was ultra critical on Gene Stallings in the 90s so I dont see Paul Finebaum as a Bama fan, I see him as a Paul Finebaum fan.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The antonio Langham story that led to our suspension really made that average sports writer into what he is today. This is why I hate it when rival fans try to say he is one of ours. He also was ultra critical on Gene Stallings in the 90s so I dont see Paul Finebaum as a Bama fan, I see him as a Paul Finebaum fan.
Bobby Lee Hurt was first.

Post-Herald

Finebaum's first big scoop came his first year in Birmingham when he wrote a story exposing recruiting violations by Alabama in the signing of Huntsville basketball player Bobby Lee Hurt. The job offers he got as a result of his first reporting award evaporated when he was slapped with his first lawsuit. The Post-Herald defended their cub reporter and won the case.
Finebaum later broke the story of Alabama junior defensive back Antonio Langham's signing with an agent immediately following the 1993 Sugar Bowl. He was the first to report on the firing of Terry Bowden from Auburn and picked up dozens of awards for his reporting and writing in the process.
When the Post-Herald started to decline sharply, Finebaum retired from his regular job to focus on broadcast work. He later revived his twice-weekly column at the Mobile Press-Register.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Paul_Finebaum

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bobby Lee Hurt was first.

Post-Herald

Finebaum's first big scoop came his first year in Birmingham when he wrote a story exposing recruiting violations by Alabama in the signing of Huntsville basketball player Bobby Lee Hurt. The job offers he got as a result of his first reporting award evaporated when he was slapped with his first lawsuit. The Post-Herald defended their cub reporter and won the case.
Finebaum later broke the story of Alabama junior defensive back Antonio Langham's signing with an agent immediately following the 1993 Sugar Bowl. He was the first to report on the firing of Terry Bowden from Auburn and picked up dozens of awards for his reporting and writing in the process.
When the Post-Herald started to decline sharply, Finebaum retired from his regular job to focus on broadcast work. He later revived his twice-weekly column at the Mobile Press-Register.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Paul_Finebaum
I think the langham incident is far bigger and had he not broke the story as fast as he did finebaum wouldn't be where he is today. With the exception of teams like the kentuckys, Unc, and etc no one would pay much notice for basketball violations. But he broke a story about an alabama football team that was one of the hottest programs in college football. That is when finebaum became a name.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Paul`s a provocateur, that`s really all. He`s also one of the best at it that`s ever been and for that I admire him. He can get so many people wrapped around the axle emotionally and in doing so generate interest (positive and negative), thus driving ratings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.