News Article: History Repeating Itself for Maurice Smith?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

The television broadcast showed Maurice Smith standing on the sideline with his hands on his hips and a blank look on his face as he stared ahead at nothing in particular.

Alabama coach Nick Saban was in front of Smith, as was defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, each yelling and moving their hands in frustration following a blown assignment by the then-sophomore defensive back that left a Tennessee wide receiver wide open in the flat for an easy touchdown.

Watching at his Texas home, Smith's father, Maurice, was reminded of something that happened during his son's sophomore season at Dulles High School.

Then a part-time player — similar to last year at Alabama — Smith made a costly mistake, called for a personal foul after retaliating and shoving an opponent that pushed him.

Smith was summoned to the sideline. When he got there, Dulles coach Jim Creech "lit into his butt like it was nothing," Smith's father said.

Observing the reprimand from Saban and Smart, Smith's dad turned to his wife and said, "This is the exact same deal."

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The story inexplicably skips Smith's taunting penalty that kick-started TOSU's comeback in the Sugar Bowl. That, sadly, appears to be a pattern, too.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
The story inexplicably skips Smith's taunting penalty that kick-started TOSU's comeback in the Sugar Bowl. That, sadly, appears to be a pattern, too.
I don't think I would go so far as to state that the penalty kick started OSU's come back. Sure, it happened on the kick off and gave them slightly better than average starting position, but honestly there were more factors than that.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I don't think I would go so far as to state that the penalty kick started OSU's come back. Sure, it happened on the kick off and gave them slightly better than average starting position, but honestly there were more factors than that.
Understood. But we had them backed up inside the 10 with a 15-point lead. The penalty, one of the stupidest of the year, couldn't have come at a worse time. Sure, there were other factors behind our loss.

But if the point of the story is that young Mr. Smith learns from his mistakes, it conveniently ignores the fact that he repeated a gaffe in judgment from high school on the biggest stage on which he's played. Sort of undermines the argument, don't you think?

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Understood. But we had them backed up inside the 10 with a 15-point lead. The penalty, one of the stupidest of the year, couldn't have come at a worse time. Sure, there were other factors behind our loss.

But if the point of the story is that young Mr. Smith learns from his mistakes, it conveniently ignores the fact that he repeated a gaffe in judgment from high school on the biggest stage on which he's played. Sort of undermines the argument, don't you think?
I agree.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.