Need motivation to get some exercise? Colorado man runs the entire Appalachian Trail.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
in my experience, state park rangers can be some of the nastiest folks to deal with and the nasty attitude generally flows down from either the head ranger or the state parks dept. i wonder if they showed up in an mrap to stop the lawlessness.
What do you expect, with all these lawless people constantly invading their territory? They've got to keep them in line, and let 'em know they're not welcome!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
granted, i have primarily been in monte sano in the winter, but those trails are always wet and muddy. i am surprised that much mountain biking is allowed at all. popularity can be a double edged sword for outdoor activities.
They are not wet and muddy generally in the summer, except the natural low spots below springs, creek crossings, etc. However, with the bikers, spots which would normally just be low and a little damp are now a small swamp year round, except in drought summers like the present one (and we still get more rain than any other part of town)...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
granted, i have primarily been in monte sano in the winter, but those trails are always wet and muddy. i am surprised that much mountain biking is allowed at all. popularity can be a double edged sword for outdoor activities.
BTW, let me know the next time you run the Mountain Mist or one of the other mountain runs. We just live 1.5 blocks from the park and McKay Hollow trailhead...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
BTW, let me know the next time you run the Mountain Mist or one of the other mountain runs. We just live 1.5 blocks from the park and McKay Hollow trailhead...
thanks, i will. i need to run mist 2 more times to get my 10 time finisher jacket. bad thing is, the run has gotten so popular, you have to sign up the first week of october and i have a hard time planning that far in advance for late January. i doubt i will sign up this year, but probably next.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They are not wet and muddy generally in the summer, except the natural low spots below springs, creek crossings, etc. However, with the bikers, spots which would normally just be low and a little damp are now a small swamp year round, except in drought summers like the present one (and we still get more rain than any other part of town)...
the section i remember most for muddiness is from mckay's hollow to rest shelter hill. that is mile 27-28 of the mountain mist and running through that deep mud on tired legs is tedious. then you get to climb rest shelter hill ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
the section i remember most for muddiness is from mckay's hollow to rest shelter hill. that is mile 27-28 of the mountain mist and running through that deep mud on tired legs is tedious. then you get to climb rest shelter hill ;)
I know it, but I'd call what I do "plodding," not "running"... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.