News Article: Scarb: If Muschamp's the Best Defensive Mind in Football, What Does that Make Kiffin?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those that don't know, Gus said Muschamp is the best defensive mind in all of football.

Click

SEC Media Days are all about compliments. We're halfway through the 2015 edition of this event, and already we've heard multiple variations of these pats on the back.

Nice Bob Dylan reference, Greg Sankey.

Nice shot at Tennessee, Steve Spurrier.

Nice retort, Butch Jones.

Nice shoes, Dan Mullen.

But of all the compliments handed out already this week, none was more, um, complimentary than the praise Gus Malzahn poured on Will Muschamp. The Auburn head coach called his new defensive coordinator "the best defensive mind in all of football, not just college football."

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Take a look at the last 2 programs muschimp has been involved with. Texas and UF. Enough said. We lit him up last year with a running back playing QB.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
I have no problem with him being confident in his guy. And Muschamp is a great defensive coach.

But he's not the best in college, much less all of football.
he's not even the best in the conference

I agree and, not saying auburn will win the SEC, but I think you can expect an improvement in their defense.
sure, but there's really only one direction to go

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Muschamp may the best defensive mind in football. Even if that IS the case, it does not make him the best defensive coach in football. The key is getting players to execute what that mind creates.

The jury is most definitely very much out on that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Gus said Muschamp wasn't just the greatest defensive mind in college football but the greatest defensive mind in all of football. Imagine what the final points and yards total would have been if not for the 4 turnovers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Even if Muschamp is the best, what the heck does that have to do with Kiffin?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kiffin was heavily scrutinized about not meeting unrealistic expectations at USC, and CNS is the laughing stock of the whole offseason for hiring him to replace a semi broken offensive system.

Muschamp is not as scrutinized at all for not meeting totally reasonable expectations at Florida, and Malzahn is viewed as a genius for hiring him to fix a totally broken defensive system

Kiffin destroyed mushamps defense and outpaced malzahn's offense last year and was viewed as the inevitable weak link in a CNS team even though Kiffin has a far better track record as an OC than anyone is willing to admit, but Muschamp is viewed as a savior to an Auburn team that lacks the depth needed to run his system and Muschamp quiet possibley owes people like CNS,Charlie Strong, and Mack Brown for gift wrapping his defenses more than people are willing to admit.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
To your point, Scarbinsky raised this question himself:
Of course, one game doesn't establish one coach's superiority over another. That's something earned over time, but that sunny afternoon in Tuscaloosa was one of Muschamp's darkest days.
Scarbinsky's article then, of course, uses one game to establish Kiffin's superiority over Muschamp.

I hate when I agree with the idea of an article, but the author does something that screams, "Please, just click on me!"

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
To your point, Scarbinsky raised this question himself:

Scarbinsky's article then, of course, uses one game to establish Kiffin's superiority over Muschamp.

I hate when I agree with the idea of an article, but the author does something that screams, "Please, just click on me!"
Not Kiffin related but pertinent nonetheless, Saban's Bama has scored 37, 38 and 42 (all time tot O of almost 700 yards) points vs Muschamp's D's. This at 2 talent laden programs: Texas and UF. And even though the Texas score is misleading regarding the D, that was a one-legged Bama O, crippled by a wounded QB, and still had two 100 yard rushers.

It will be interesting to see what CWM shows over time and against big time offenses. Saban demoted him from DC at Miami. The D improved from 18th in the NFL to 4th, including being the last team to shut out the Patriots.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Not Kiffin related but pertinent nonetheless, Saban's Bama has scored 37, 38 and 42 (all time tot O of almost 700 yards) points vs Muschamp's D's. This at 2 talent laden programs: Texas and UF. And even though the Texas score is misleading regarding the D, that was a one-legged Bama O, crippled by a wounded QB, and still had two 100 yard rushers.

It will be interesting to see what CWM shows over time and against big time offenses. Saban demoted him from DC at Miami. The D improved from 18th in the NFL to 4th, including being the last team to shut out the Patriots.
And that could have made a good point to base an article on.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I believe CWM is probably the best defensive mind to ever coach at AU. I also think CWM was a student of CNS so it would be hard to put him over his teacher. CWM is very possibly on the same level as Coach Smart, it remains to be seen if Ol Will is better than Coach Smart. We should know the answer in a couple years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I believe CWM is probably the best defensive mind to ever coach at AU. I also think CWM was a student of CNS so it would be hard to put him over his teacher. CWM is very possibly on the same level as Coach Smart, it remains to be seen if Ol Will is better than Coach Smart. We should know the answer in a couple years.
Idk if mush is the greatest defensive mind to ever coach at auburn because bill Oliver falls into that discussion and he created one of the best defenses for bama in 92. He didn't make near as great at auburn but he still went there.

I think the question I really have is has muschamp really benefited from other people creating monster defenses for him or is he really that great. At lsu I think many agree CNS was the biggest reason, at auburn you have to credit that more to chizik for making that great defense and they haven't had a great defense since, texas really had an average to slightly above average defense under him, and at Florida you pretty much have to credit that to Charlie strong. This is probably the worst fix up job he has ever been faced with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thought the column was pretty self explanatory.
Not to me - even the article says that one game proves nothing. The title and premise are not logical. This was written to get clicks from Alabama fans. The article itself was as meaningless as a typical Yahoo story.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.