Doug Layton has passed away

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Sad indeed. Doug brought so much to the table for Bama people listening on the radio when tv games were scarce. I can still hear the sound of his voice to this day.
RIP, Doug, and thanks for the memories.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Man, I'm getting old.

"Alabama led for 59 minutes and 10 seconds....."
Doug Layton just before Mike Shula led the drive to beat Georgia on Labor Day 1985
Indeed, I used to listen to Doug Layton and Tommy Charles on Waky,in the '60s. I was surprised and pleased to find him on the Alabama broadcast Network with Eli Gold, the memories are priceless!

B

BroadwayJoe777

I met Doug once. Great guy! I listened to him whether it was football, basketball from the 70's to his various other sports talk shows he had in the 1990's and on. My condolences to him and his family. He will be missed. He is in a far, far better place than we are now.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Agreed totally. It was to the point. Ex: "Ricky Moore off right guard. Play failed to gain".
Exactly. My buddies actually asked me, "Why don't you say more"
My reply was very simple..."Because I'm not supposed to".
You can't beat the best, and he was the best. So why try to improve it? :)
sip

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
My fondest memory of Doug was when he was sidekick to Eli in the 90s. Back then, before the SEC expanded, Bama almost always played Vandy in their first SEC game of the season. Vandy would usually hang close until the 4th quarter when the heat and Bama's depth got the best of them. When the game seemed in hand the old Homer Eli would say "you know Douggie Doo, Vandy has a good team. They are going to win a lot of games this year". That always marked the real start of the season for me.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
i loved Doug Layton when he did Bama basketball. "Raymond Odoms...bottom!!!"
I would keep a scorebook and listen to the games on the radio.

And one of the greatest radio calls in the history of college football..
Paul Kennedy--"There's the snap...the kick....it's got distanceeeee....it's good!"
Layton- "It's Good!"
Kennedy- "It's good!!"
Layton--"It's good!!"
Kennedy--Van Tiffin has made the the kick, and Bama has beaten Auburn!!!"

Loved him, and he so loved Bama. So sorry to hear this.

sip
Doug had a GREAT voice and I loved listening to him. The John Forney/Doug Layton/Jerry Duncan team was my all-time favorite.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Listening to Forney and Layton call a game on the radio was almost as good as watching it on tv. I would not trade having all games televised but there was something special about listening to Bama games on the radio back in the late 70's/early 80's when I was old enough to start following the Tide. RIP Doug Layton, RIP.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Layton started his Bama career at the same time that I really began to follow the Tide closely. I guess I listened to hundreds of broadcasts, as for many years, a team would be on TV only a couple of times a year. Those were very special years.

Great voice, great commentator who never got in the way of the game itself.

RIP and Roll Tide, Doug Layton!

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I too loved listening to him, but here's something most of you don't know about him. He was Santa Clause at Loveman's in downtown Birmingham. I had many a picture taken sitting on is lap. Roll Tide and Merry Christmas Mr. Layton.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.