Doug Layton has passed away

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Died at home in Vestavia Hills last night after a 2+ year battle with cancer. He was 81.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
He was my eyes describing the plays and Bama in their Crimson jerseys when I was a kid. We we not on tv but 2 or 3 times a year back in the 70's.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
If you've ever had a chance to read "Above the Noise of the Crowd" by John Forney, you know how close Doug was with John. A great guy, an Alabama Man and brought a lot of joy to us in those days before every single game being televised.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I liked listening to Doug Layton and Tommy Charles back in the day.

What ever happened to Tommy Charles? He was on WSGN 610 in B'ham years ago and went to Houston and was, I think, on KILT 610 for a while.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Sad. Doug Layton was one of the best. He and Jerry Duncan were a great pair. The younger guys don't realize just how important the radio guys were back when. They painted a picture of the scene for your mind, and DL added lots of color.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sad. Doug Layton was one of the best. He and Jerry Duncan were a great pair. The younger guys don't realize just how important the radio guys were back when. They painted a picture of the scene for your mind, and DL added lots of color.
Well said. As I said in another thread he and John Forney painted the picture in my mind's eye of the autumnal foliage in Knoxville on a crisp Third Saturday in October and the steamy, muggy nights in Baton Rouge. Younger fans really missed out on those long ago radio broadcasts.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I liked listening to Doug Layton and Tommy Charles back in the day.

What ever happened to Tommy Charles? He was on WSGN 610 in B'ham years ago and went to Houston and was, I think, on KILT 610 for a while.
Tommy Charles died years ago. He and Doug were a funny team on radio (WYDE and at least one other station) for years. I think they were part of the "burn the Beatles" records movement after one of John Lennon's statements. Doug had great dry humor which often came through on his football broadcasts, too.

But most of all, Doug was part of a great Bama broadcast team with Forney. Technically proficient, heck no. That's why we loved listening to them. They were our eyes when few games were televised.

Rest in Peace, Doug.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Back when basketball was rarely on tv, I listened to many games with Doug Layton on the radio; I thought he was the best. I really miss Forney, Layton, Duncan, and whoever that was at Legion field who said: "Musso at right guard, play made so and so."

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Back when basketball was rarely on tv, I listened to many games with Doug Layton on the radio; I thought he was the best. I really miss Forney, Layton, Duncan, and whoever that was at Legion field who said: "Musso at right guard, play made so and so."
I believe it was Simpson Pepper if memory serves me correctly.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
i loved Doug Layton when he did Bama basketball. "Raymond Odoms...bottom!!!"
I would keep a scorebook and listen to the games on the radio.

And one of the greatest radio calls in the history of college football..
Paul Kennedy--"There's the snap...the kick....it's got distanceeeee....it's good!"
Layton- "It's Good!"
Kennedy- "It's good!!"
Layton--"It's good!!"
Kennedy--Van Tiffin has made the the kick, and Bama has beaten Auburn!!!"

Loved him, and he so loved Bama. So sorry to hear this.

sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I believe it was Simpson Pepper if memory serves me correctly.
I did P.A. for Ocean Springs High School Footballfor a few years, and I imitated Pepper exactly. Describe the play briefly, and then shut up. I can't stand high school P.A. guys who think they're the radio play by play man. Pepper was the best ever. Loved him as well.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I did P.A. for Ocean Springs High School Footballfor a few years, and I imitated Pepper exactly. Describe the play briefly, and then shut up. I can't stand high school P.A. guys who think they're the radio play by play man. Pepper was the best ever. Loved him as well.
I can't agree more...Simpson Pepper's style was that there was no style, just pure professionalism, it was and still is an all-time classic.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed totally. It was to the point. Ex: "Ricky Moore off right guard. Play failed to gain".

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Man, I'm getting old.

"Alabama led for 59 minutes and 10 seconds....."
Doug Layton just before Mike Shula led the drive to beat Georgia on Labor Day 1985

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.