Excuse or Concern? Saban's Comments About NFL Draft

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
We've had a day to digest it. What do you make of the comments Saban made about the NFL Draft ratings and the bowl game? Is it an excuse, as those in Columbus would have everyone believe, or just a concern, in Saban's opinion, that needs to really be looked at?

First, Saban said in the interview with the ESPN folks that is was not an excuse. He took full responsibility for the loss, like any great coach would do.

Watching Spears and McFarland talk the way the did about the effects of getting the grade and how it affected individuals when they get the ratings I think speaks volumes. I love Greg McElroy, but I think his opinion is a moot point due to the fact that he was not, and was never going to be, a 1st round pick. I believe both Spears and McFarland were first rounders and know the pressures of it. I kept seeing Spears look agitated every time Finebaum would say something like it was an excuse what Saban had said. It was almost like he was thinking in his mind, "You guys have never been there and have no idea about the pressures."

So, what do you think? Was it an excuse or just a concern? I honestly detest Finebaum, as he is a pot-stirrer, but I am trying to look at this from all angles.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
We've had a day to digest it. What do you make of the comments Saban made about the NFL Draft ratings and the bowl game? Is it an excuse, as those in Columbus would have everyone believe, or just a concern, in Saban's opinion, that needs to really be looked at?

First, Saban said in the interview with the ESPN folks that is was not an excuse. He took full responsibility for the loss, like any great coach would do.

Watching Spears and McFarland talk the way the did about the effects of getting the grade and how it affected individuals when they get the ratings I think speaks volumes. I love Greg McElroy, but I think his opinion is a moot point due to the fact that he was not, and was never going to be, a 1st round pick. I believe both Spears and McFarland were first rounders and know the pressures of it. I kept seeing Spears look agitated every time Finebaum would say something like it was an excuse what Saban had said. It was almost like he was thinking in his mind, "You guys have never been there and have no idea about the pressures."

So, what do you think? Was it an excuse or just a concern? I honestly detest Finebaum, as he is a pot-stirrer, but I am trying to look at this from all angles.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
Frankly, as a fan, I wish he hadn't said it.

But I bet many coaches, knowing what they see in some players in bowl preps and during games, after receiving a high grade, they're glad he said it.

But it's like Phil Savage said, while the statement may be true, Coach Saban and staff are simply trying to get to the bottom of what affected the chemistry to that extent during that period of time. Players are pointing to not taking Cardale Jones seriously, or whether it was our leadership, or whatever. They are trying to correct it on all fronts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

CECIL HURT: Media quick to criticize Saban’s comments

Excuses, excuses.

That was the main topic at SEC Media Days in Hoover on Wednesday as hundreds of attendees were breathlessly writing or Tweeting that Nick Saban was making “excuses” for Alabama’s loss to Ohio State because he suggested that the NFL’s early draft entry date (Jan. 15) might have been a distraction for some Crimson Tide players.

Never mind that Saban has said since his postgame press conference in January that Ohio State deserved the credit for winning. Never mind that his main-room comments came on a question (from Chase Goodbread, a former colleague here at The News who now works for the NFL Network) that directly addressed the draft, not the Ohio State game. To be fair, he also made the point in a smaller group session earlier in the day. But in neither setting did it seem like his purpose was to “explain” or, if you prefer, “excuse” the Crimson Tide’s loss to OSU.

Nonetheless, he said what he said, and what do you expect reporters to do? Tweet about Mark Stoops?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think it was either. Saban was speaking his mind and answering questions, not making excuses. He also didn't make a huge deal of it, so it might be something that he would like to see changed given the extended season with the playoff, but I didn't read any more than that into the comment.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Saban can say whatever he wants. He has earned that right. The idiot Slimbaum was quick to jump on him and fan the flames. If it makes people feel better to say he's whining or making excuses then good for them I guess. Everybody outside our fan base envy's the success he's had here so he's going to get criticised no matter what.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Every year reporters sit and wait to jump on something or anything Saban says and try to twist it. The 9-11 comment comes to mind. Frankly, nobody gives a crap about what the other 13 say.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know this might be hard for some people to wrap their minds around, but the Alabama team last year needs no excuses, period, end of story. Overly-entitled people, and cynical pundits might think that not winning a national championship is a failure, but they're honestly both full of crap.

The Alabama team played the #2 SoS, if you look how weary the other SEC teams were at the end of the year, Alabama actually managed all the obstacles fairly well, just not well enough to win a championship. Alabama had a great season last year, but... yes, of course, each thing that the team has to deal with, each thing Saban has to deal with is an issue. Each tough game, each injury, the signing limit, the extra playoff game, and yeah... the draft, which has taken more Alabama players lately than any other school. Those are all obstacles and if someone can't tell that, that's their mental shortcoming. It's a wonder Alabama managed to be in it year in year out all things considered.

What you won't see, is much talk about Auburn, the darling of so many after last season went 8-5. 8-5! Now that's a team that needs an excuse...

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think its a pet peeve he has. He'd like to focus on game prep for as much time as possible. The NFL draft grading is just one of many distractions that occur before bowl games. If he can use his clout to help change that, he will. What better way to put the NFL on notice and judge coach support than to make this statement at SEC Media Days?

I don't think its an excuse, I think its something he'd like to see changed. And this was step one.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I just see a different line of questions for Saban and the old ball coach then any of the other coaches in the conference. All the other coaches seem to get the easy, less controversial questions. Like what someone is wearing, shoe selection and other non eventful banter. But they come at Saban with, NFL grades, Satellite camps and second chance players. Maybe, now I'm whining but don't compare the interviews if the material is not remotely related to the relevance to the improvement of the league or college football.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Not an excuse, imo. Saban owned up to not having his team ready for Jones and the Buckeyes. But some of that responsibility had to go to the players who let their draft grades affect their play. Nonetheless, I agree with Saban and that the draft grades should come AFTER the season and not during the time of the season in which coaches need their players focusing on their next game.

With that said, after watching year's team, it brings renewed sense of appreciation when thinking about how focused those 09, 11 and 12 teams were on winning the national championship.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not sure if delaying the news would have changed anything, or maintained the chemistry of the SECCG.......but, I'm guessing some "future rich" football players may approach the game differently than those playing for pride and a championship......don't really know what you can do about that.

He always says something to annoy everyone.....I think it's awesome!

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I know this might be hard for some people to wrap their minds around, but the Alabama team last year needs no excuses, period, end of story. Overly-entitled people, and cynical pundits might think that not winning a national championship is a failure, but they're honestly both full of crap.

The Alabama team played the #2 SoS, if you look how weary the other SEC teams were at the end of the year, Alabama actually managed all the obstacles fairly well, just not well enough to win a championship. Alabama had a great season last year, but... yes, of course, each thing that the team has to deal with, each thing Saban has to deal with is an issue. Each tough game, each injury, the signing limit, the extra playoff game, and yeah... the draft, which has taken more Alabama players lately than any other school. Those are all obstacles and if someone can't tell that, that's their mental shortcoming. It's a wonder Alabama managed to be in it year in year out all things considered.

What you won't see, is much talk about Auburn, the darling of so many after last season went 8-5. 8-5! Now that's a team that needs an excuse...
Well, they were young….

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not sure if delaying the news would have changed anything, or maintained the chemistry of the SECCG.......but, I'm guessing some "future rich" football players may approach the game differently than those playing for pride and a championship......don't really know what you can do about that.

He always says something to annoy everyone.....I think it's awesome!

yeah, the time to worry is when no one is paying attention to what he says. speaking of which, i haven't heard much out of mark richt this off season ;)

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Saban is NOT afraid to tell it like it is. If it's on his mind, it's out his mouth. And, I bet a lot of 1st rounders felt that way. Can't fault a man for telling the truth, to which others would not. Just saying.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Saban is NOT afraid to tell it like it is. If it's on his mind, it's out his mouth. And, I bet a lot of 1st rounders felt that way. Can't fault a man for telling the truth, to which others would not. Just saying.
I agree with you and also 9 times out of 10 he has a reason to say what he says. He eats the exact same thing everyday so that he doesn't have to waste time picking or having to think of something else to eat, you really think what he says to the media isn't thought out...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Saban usually has an idea or two he wants to present at media days. People usually see it as whining, but it gets national attention and a national discussion on it starts. Last year it was pace of play. It was about agents before that. This year it's about NFL evaluations. I can see why people would think he's whining, but he certainly has a point and other SEC coaches have agreed with him.

Can anyone remember Malzahn or Miles coming out with talking points and having people take notice? Nope. It's still a Bama world, even if the national media is gaga over Ohio State (and that's another topic - Bruce Feldman and others said the presumptive SEC champ Auburn only has 6 players good enough to start in Columbus. The OSU love is ridiculous).

dirkg

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2014
www.facebook.com
Not an excuse. Look at it from the point of view of a focused student athlete. He's trying to keep his mind on his opponents makes it to the national championship game. All of a sudden he has 4 days to evaluate and make a life changing decision on whether to stay in school or take the risk of entering the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm curious who he's talking about.

You know, we hear about a lack of focus or leadership but never know who they're talking about.

I doubt Amari was worried about NFL projections as he knew he was a top 5 pick anyway. I wonder if he was talking about Reggie and Landon and a couple other guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.